Is a BCS 715 worth anything?

/ Is a BCS 715 worth anything? #11  
I was asked to help move the 715 to the driveway. Wheels were locked in every gear position and would only move if gear stick positioned in middle of large gap between first and second notches. No markings on the transmission, motor would not turn over, clutch lever would not budge.

Sounds like a good or bad winter project. :)

As part of my inheritance I got a 5 year old snapper rider that we bought for Mom after Dad pasted. My brother was going to get it read to go for me but the starter would not turn it over. Turned out the crank was frozen but it had only set a year and she had driven it into the garage the summer before. She had ran it low on oil. He had put a new like identical engine on a Craftman's frame that was about shot so he put it on the 5 year old Snapper and I used it about 10 years. The 1948 Model B AC tractor was a non runner until we rebuilt it twice.

I now consider non running equipment as scrap iron. The Model B was about the same as the first the first tractor I drove at the age of 5. Since the DIL wants a tiller if the 715 was about free I would go for it and work on it is the shop at our place. :)

/ Is a BCS 715 worth anything? #12  
I was asked to help move the 715 to the driveway. Wheels were locked in every gear position and would only move if gear stick positioned in middle of large gap between first and second notches. No markings on the transmission, motor would not turn over, clutch lever would not budge.

What you describe could justify a low offer.
But it may not be as bad as it seems. I am not familiar with BCS. My Goldoni has worm drive to the axle. The wheels will not turn the transmission, the machine freewheels only when both steering clutches are disengaged. Main clutch on the Goldoni is conical and sticks if stored in the engaged position. ACME engines are crude in the sense that a third-world mechanic could probably rebuild one with a Leatherman.

/ Is a BCS 715 worth anything? #14  
The cone clutch is stuck. You'll need to pull the engine off and remove the cone clutch, put it in a vice and break it free. Not as scary as it sounds. Worse case you can send it to earthtools to be relined. The gears sound right from your description. There is a neutral position in between each gear setting. You can get a replacement sticker for the transmission also from earthtools. The instructions for removing and freeing the clutch are also on the earthtools website.

/ Is a BCS 715 worth anything? #15  
Troybilt versus BCS, I've owned them both (original Troybilt and BCS 720 and 850). BCS wins hands down. They are totally different animals.
I agree, as well.

/ Is a BCS 715 worth anything? #16  
Here's a picture of the gear shifter indicator on my 720. 20200711_165954.jpg

/ Is a BCS 715 worth anything?
Thanks for the photo, the 720 is much more 'rugged' than the 715 shifter which is a straight line with indented notches.

The cone clutch is stuck....

That's the good news.

The bad news is that the Acme motor does not turn over, and I appreciate the advice received.

If it starts I would definitely consider it if I needed a tiller.

...could be hard to get parts for.

Earth tools has a direct bolt on Kohler that fits the old acme holes.

I now consider non running equipment as scrap iron.

ACME engines are crude in the sense that a third-world mechanic could probably rebuild one with a Leatherman.