Is a power rake the same thing as a Harley rake and is this better than a root grapple + landscape rake?

/ Is a power rake the same thing as a Harley rake and is this better than a root grapple + landscape rake? #1  

future_vision

Gold Member
Tractor
DK6010SE HSA
I've been looking at implements for clearing and working some land. A grapple is a must since I have a lot of brush and logs to move but after that I was looking the next implements to prep for grass. Originally I was thinking if I got the right grapple then all i would really need is a landscape rake to out the rest of the debris and rocks but then I came across the Harley rake. Looking at it reminded me of a power rake which I never really considered. Are these both the same implement? If they aren't which would be better and are they better than going the root grapple plus landscape rake route? If the harley or pwoer rake is the better way to go then that that changes up the parameters for my choice of a grapple. I might move towards more of a rock grapple. Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated as I get started out with my first tractor and implements.

Thanks!

/ Is a power rake the same thing as a Harley rake and is this better than a root grapple + landscape rake? #2  
Power rake is the generic term. Harley rake is a brand name. Both being the same thing.

Power rake beats a landscape rake by far.

Power rakes are pricey but worth it if you can swing it.

Here's mine smoothing out a lateral field install.

/ Is a power rake the same thing as a Harley rake and is this better than a root grapple + landscape rake?
Excellent! Is there a particular brand to look at? I've got maybe 5-7 acres to clear, a 60 hp tractor and won't be using this much after that unless I get some crazy idea to do this as a side hustle. In fact, given the cost, I might even just rent one. 72" for under $1000 for a month in my area. That might be the more financially responsibly way to go.

Last edited:
   / Is a power rake the same thing as a Harley rake and is this better than a root grapple + landscape rake? #4  
Power rake is the generic term. Harley rake is a brand name. Both being the same thing.

Power rake beats a landscape rake by far.

Do u mind saying what brand power rake u have and how has it performed as far has durability?

/ Is a power rake the same thing as a Harley rake and is this better than a root grapple + landscape rake? #5  
Absolutely try to find a power rake, harley rake or preseeder. If you're only using it for a final grade on your own property it'd be worthwhile to rent if one is available locally. They're pretty hard to find for a reasonable price unless you're willing to buy a used one and then resell it once you're finished. I personally have been using ATI preseeders to finish grade for around 17 years. The trick to getting a very nice finished product is to start with the teeth digging in to break up the ground and decrease the depth of the teeth so in the final passes you arent really pulling much dirt but just combing the top. That'll pull any remaining debris and eliminate leaving windrows. With a little practice there is no need for any handwork except close to obstacles and you'll have a grade thats literally as smooth as a parking lot. Preseeders leave a little different finish than a power rake because they use a full width roller instead of gauge wheels.

20181025_103901.jpg

/ Is a power rake the same thing as a Harley rake and is this better than a root grapple + landscape rake?
Wow! That looks great. I've got ta fair amount of rocks and roots in our dirt up here in New England so I will definitely need a tool that is going to take care of both and with only 5-7 acres to do it really doesn't make sense to buy one unless I plan on spreading all the work out over several months which I prefer not too. I should be able to get it done in a month as a weekend warrior.

/ Is a power rake the same thing as a Harley rake and is this better than a root grapple + landscape rake? #7  
I had the same situation 10 years ago we cleared/stumped 2 acres here on the coast of NH, and have ledge and lots of rocks/roots/debris to deal with after the stumping. I had a friend come in with his 6' harley rake and there were just too many large rocks (2-3' size every 30'-40') embedded at ground level for the harley rake to work effectively.

We ended up with a York rake (with gauge wheels) and angled/windrowed the rocks/roots into small piles, used the FEL to clean up. We had 3 8-10 yard debris piles that I let sit over the winter then burned it.

I would look at a grapple with a close bottom splines (like a rock bucket) to get the majority of the big pieces, then a york rake for the smaller debris. We ended up getting a deal on decent sandy fill dirt, so spread that and then about 100 yds topsoil.

Once you get topsoil down you can rent a harley rake from Mear's Tractor $185/day but may not need it at that point.

/ Is a power rake the same thing as a Harley rake and is this better than a root grapple + landscape rake? #8  

Your video is the first time I have seen a Power Rake operating with gauge wheels. In your video the gauge wheel tracks are nearly continuous.

Gauge wheels are an expensive option.

Have you found the optional gauge wheels worth the expense?

I had the same situation 10 years ago we cleared/stumped 2 acres here on the coast of NH, and have ledge and lots of rocks/roots/debris to deal with after the stumping. I had a friend come in with his 6' harley rake and there were just too many large rocks (2-3' size every 30'-40') embedded at ground level for the harley rake to work effectively.

We ended up with a York rake (with gauge wheels) and angled/windrowed the rocks/roots into small piles, used the FEL to clean up. We had 3 8-10 yard debris piles that I let sit over the winter then burned it.

I would look at a grapple with a close bottom splines (like a rock bucket) to get the majority of the big pieces, then a york rake for the smaller debris. We ended up getting a deal on decent sandy fill dirt, so spread that and then about 100 yds topsoil.

Once you get topsoil down you can rent a harley rake from Mear's Tractor $185/day but may not need it at that point.
Thanks for the input. While I was clearing with the excavator I got a little overzealous clearing out those size rocks so the area done so far might be fine. I expect I'll find more along the way and pull those out with the backhoe. But your idea about the rock grapple is certainly the direction I am leaning. You can do some root with it and lifting logs and dealing with brush should still be fine but the ability to sift all those smallish rocks saves a lot of bending over and gathering them by hand for sure. I've seen some rock grapples I like but they are a bit on the heavy side. I'll likely be running a Kioti DK6010SE and the loader has the following specs. Just need to find something that comfortably works with those specs. My understanding is the grapple should be no more than half the lift weight of the loader at the pins which feels like it might be pushing it if I am lifting 14-16 pine and oak logs. Granted, they aren't that round but I do get some up in the 14-16 inch range. Not sure what those weight but I'm guessing I'll be near my limit.

Lift Capacity to Full Height at Pivot Pins2,474 lbs. (1,122 kg)
Breakout Force at Pivot Pins3,895 lbs. (1,767 kg)
Bucket Rollback Force at Ground Line3,148 lbs. (1,428 kg)

/ Is a power rake the same thing as a Harley rake and is this better than a root grapple + landscape rake? #10  
For Jeff's question about gauge wheels, I can't imagine using one without gauge wheels. Most units have a slotted top link, which allows the operator to feather the unit for deeper or shallower use. During the initial passes, yes, it can be a set and forget situation, but for a mound or cavity, you will want to move more or less dirt from those spots. The slotted top link allows the operator to finely adjust the cutting height to move more or less dirt.