Is AB-1346 The Beginning To The End Of The GARDEN TRACTOR?

/ Is AB-1346 The Beginning To The End Of The GARDEN TRACTOR? #11  
I just saw a cordless snow blower at Home Depot….$800.

I thought, how can this work. My gas powered one has trouble with damp snow. Went home and read reviews. Basically it does ok with dry powder…but can’t do crap with moist or wet snow. Lasts like 15 min in damp snow, battery needs 3 hours to recharge.

how often do you move dry snow….

ya, that’s worth it

/ Is AB-1346 The Beginning To The End Of The GARDEN TRACTOR? #12  
Yep quite the future cost more do less :mad:🤬

/ Is AB-1346 The Beginning To The End Of The GARDEN TRACTOR? #14  
Is that statement accurate? It makes it sound like you'll have to stop using your gas powered equipment by that date. I don't think that's the case. As I understand it, the new law bans the sale of NEW gas powered yard equipment. You can keep using your currently owned gas powered lawn equipment. I didn't see a date for that to end.

The ban, if and when it's enacted, would be on sales of products using gas engines produced after the ban. That part is per the law, so CARB can't change it. The law does call for CARB to enact those bans on or after certain dates, as CARB sees fit. CARB is supposed to study the industries and come back with the actual rules in the middle of next year.

According to communication from an aide to one of the legislators who pushed this, CARB won't be banning saws over 45cc as there are no viable battery saws in that size class. Also whole home generators won't be restricted (which is still dumb, a lot of folks up here in long term power outage land use smaller generators, in part because the county permitting process is insane). It's still CARB, who in the past has been totally fine with greatly restricting small user groups with little clout. I fear rural people who need equipment like chainsaws, brush cutters, generators, log splitters, etc. due to days long power outages and the need to do fire clearing on their properties will get the shaft. It'll be a boon to equipment dealers and saw shops just over the state line.

OTOH I'm looking forward to quiet battery-powered large chainsaws that don't cost twice what the same size gas saw costs and storage batteries that don't cost too much more than a generator and will run an all electric home for days. They will come some day, even if it's not the initial date in the legislation.

As for garden tractors, Cub Cadet's been making some electric models for a few years. I have no idea how good they are but they appear to be reasonably priced. I would not have a problem going with an electric, but I need to run electricity to the barn first.

/ Is AB-1346 The Beginning To The End Of The GARDEN TRACTOR? #15  
We are at a time when something needs to be done. Is the law perfect? No. Will it cause problems for some? Yes. Will it do what the drafters want it to? Eventually.

I think that this is much like the emission laws of the 1970's. They caused a lot of trouble for several years, but I doubt if any of you would say that it was a horrible law as cars have better emissions, fuel mileage, and overall performance today than before the law was enacted.
I like the idea, but not the law. I think it is needed to force the issue. Which is needed unfortunately

/ Is AB-1346 The Beginning To The End Of The GARDEN TRACTOR? #16  
We are at a time when something needs to be done. Is the law perfect? No. Will it cause problems for some? Yes. Will it do what the drafters want it to? Eventually.

I think that this is much like the emission laws of the 1970's. They caused a lot of trouble for several years, but I doubt if any of you would say that it was a horrible law as cars have better emissions, fuel mileage, and overall performance today than before the law was enacted.
I like the idea, but not the law. I think it is needed to force the issue. Which is needed unfortunately
What is your states motto?
How about choice

/ Is AB-1346 The Beginning To The End Of The GARDEN TRACTOR? #17  
Interesting that the Opost says Oregon has adopted CARB. Oregon has in no way adopted CARB regs that I'm aware of.

/ Is AB-1346 The Beginning To The End Of The GARDEN TRACTOR? #18  
What is your states motto?
How about choice
I am fully aware of my state's motto and how it is often misconstrued
I am also aware that crude oi production peaked around the turn of the century and demand has continued to increase
About choice
The law does not take your choice away, it simply changes the choice presented to you. I do not like the law but I understand the need to force the issue. The law says it can be delayed if the tech is not available.

The people of California have elected people that see disaster looming. It seems like they always see disaster looming, sometimes they are right sometimes they are wrong. The thing is, the law is a state law and if you are not in California you have nothing to say that matters. If it comes to your state and you think it is bad law then speak out as loudly as you can.

/ Is AB-1346 The Beginning To The End Of The GARDEN TRACTOR? #19  
That is pure dee bull, crude oil production was never been close to peaking at the turn of the century.

/ Is AB-1346 The Beginning To The End Of The GARDEN TRACTOR? #20  
I was born and raised in California, lived there until 1980, then when I was 24 moved to Washington State.
My grandparents lived in Santa Monica, CA, which is close to Beverly Hills. My family would visit them on a regular basis. I can remember sitting at a stop light and not being able to see the next light that was only 1 block away. The air pollution was terrible.
I grew up in the Bay Area, in Cupertino, and in the summer it was so unusual to to be able to see the foothills that people would remark about being able to see the hills when they were visible.
Then CA started demanding that cars pollute less. American car makers were so resistant to the new pollution reducing laws that the cars they made to comply were only made for California. And the methods they used were half-assed. The Japanese car makers didn't go this route. Their methods to reduce emissions were not as nearly complex and didn't have the same negative effect on gas mileage.
All kinds of folks moaned and groaned about the new laws but after the air got clean nobody complained. Eventually the car makers wised up and stopped making cars just for California. If left up to private industry the changes would have taken at least a decade longer.
The same kind of thing happened with the gas mileage laws passed in CA. Same moaning and complaining. Now we have cars that get much better gas mileage all over the nation.
California's new law about banning small engines has such a large loophole it almost looks like it is simply ssymbolic It is of course not, but implementation will not occur for many years. What I think it will do is give extra impetus to existing companies and entrepreneurs to develop electric motors and batteries that will be the equivalent in weight, power, and "refueling" to what we are using today.
A good example of improvements in electronics and energy deliverability comes from computers.
In every computer that plugs into the wall is a power supply called an "Inverter". What an inverter does, basically, is convert DC electricity into AC electricity. AC voltages can be transformed from one voltage by using a transformer, DC cannot be changed this way. The AC frequency from the wall, the mains, is 60 hertz in North America. Transformer size is partly based on the frequency of the electricity going through it, the higher the frequency, the smaller the transformer. So the computer that is plugged into the wall uses a power supply that turns low frequency AC first into DC. Then the DC is turned into high frequency AC. This high AC voltage AC is then transformed into low voltage AC using tiny transformers, then turned into the DC that your computer runs on. The tiny transformers use much less copper so the power supply is lighter and cheaper to build. Another advantage is that the inverter is more efficient so it costs less to run and doesn't need the same cooling that older technology power supplies would need.
I know, this is getting long, but here's the point. Inverters are complex and it took a long time for the technology to mature. But now there are inverter power supplies everywhere. The best generators on the market today are the inverter ones, they have the best voltage and frequency control, the engine RPM affecting neither. Every electric car, battery operated tools. Plasma cutters, welders, etc. My old transformer type Miller welder has a 300 amp output and it weighs about 600 pounds. My new Lincoln 200 amp welder weighs about 60 pounds. And does way more. Because of the inverter power supply inside. My 300 amp Miller wire feed welder only weighs about 200 pounds, and that weight includes the wire feed motor and associated mechanisms.
Another technology developed for computers and improved upon by companies and entrepreneurs is the DC brushless motor. Though these motors and the drive electronics existed before hard and floppy drives in computers they really started to be radically improved upon once they started to become so ubiquitous since the drives were in every computer. Now these brushless motors and drives are in every drone. All sorts of power tools use them. All sorts of modern CNC machine tools use them. They are used in some electric cars. I have a tool that has a 2 horsepower brushless DC motor in it that measures only 3 1/4 inches long and 1 1/2 inches in diameter. 2 horsepower! These motors are used not just because they are so efficient and so powerful for their size. They are also very controllable. Not just the RPM, but also the rotation direction and they can be stopped where ever you want rotation wise. It is easy to have the motor shaft spin so many times, exactly, and then stop. And stop at the exact amount of rotation you want, so the shaft can be positioned rotation wise where ever desired. This can also be accomplished with other motors but with modern brushless DC motors and their drives it is much easier and cheaper. And this exact positioning is used in all sorts of stuff.
I know, this post got really long. My whole point though is I see all sorts of people having knee jerk reactions and not taking the time to really think about stuff. It looks to me like this law is really designed to give some folks a push to design better products. And a ready made market to sell them in.
Eric