Is country line stuff any good compared to land pride?

/ Is country line stuff any good compared to land pride? #31  
I have a farm star? Similar chinesium to county line I believe. 5ft I put on a 48hp tractor and beat to death. It wont die. it's pretty heavy gauge metal. I think the gear box is the weakest link if I had to guess

/ Is country line stuff any good compared to land pride? #32  
Or, companies charge higher price to give the illusion of higher quality.
I'm sure that does happen, but I consider myself a savvy buyer, I do my homework, and I'm telling you the brands of "tools" I buy, I buy because they are better built and hold up longer. I base MY purchases on my experiences, and I'm willing to pay more to get a tool that will last longer for me.

I have no idea what is going on with those that get duped, buy cheapo tools and in many cases, buy low quality to save a few $ just to have to work on them later.

SR

/ Is country line stuff any good compared to land pride? #33  
Check your local craigslist or Marketplace. They tend to pop up there occasionally. Runnings has King Kutter implements also. Don't forget, if a dealer doesn't have any stock, any new shipments probably will have a price increase. Seems like every new shipment of things has a price increase nowadays....

/ Is country line stuff any good compared to land pride? #34  
I'm sure that does happen, but I consider myself a savvy buyer, I do my homework, and I'm telling you the brands of "tools" I buy, I buy because they are better built and hold up longer. I base MY purchases on my experiences, and I'm willing to pay more to get a tool that will last longer for me.

I have no idea what is going on with those that get duped, buy cheapo tools and in many cases, buy low quality to save a few $ just to have to work on them later.

SR
Cool. A very different thing to do homework and buy quality than to make the false equivalency that higher price equals higher quality.

/ Is country line stuff any good compared to land pride? #35  
Cool. A very different thing to do homework and buy quality than to make the false equivalency that higher price equals higher quality.
It's also a case of you don't know what you don't know. Somebody who just got their first tractor can look at a 500lbs box blade & think it's heavy duty because it's 3-4x what they could lift. Where somebody that's used one would realize it's pretty light for a 5' box blade.

It's hard to know what to even research if you don't have any base of information to start from. TBN is a good place for jumpstarting that. But often it's hard to pick up what experienced people are trying to tell you if you don't have a starting point.

/ Is country line stuff any good compared to land pride? #36  
It's also a case of you don't know what you don't know. Somebody who just got their first tractor can look at a 500lbs box blade & think it's heavy duty because it's 3-4x what they could lift. Where somebody that's used one would realize it's pretty light for a 5' box blade.

It's hard to know what to even research if you don't have any base of information to start from. TBN is a good place for jumpstarting that. But often it's hard to pick up what experienced people are trying to tell you if you don't have a starting point.
That's a part of the reason I tend to overanalyze. Before I buy anything tangible that is more than about $100, I dig pretty deep and make comparisons of what is comparable. For instance, deck thickness on a rotary cutter. Of course, there are a lot of unknowns...welds, quality of the steel, etc. In economics we use the Latin term Ceteris Paribus, which basically means 'all else being equal'. Eventually, you get to the point where you have to make assumptions. Sometimes I wish I had the money to start an organization similar to Consumers Union (Publishers of Consumer Reports) for AG.

The difficulty for me is not knowing who really knows. Often times, you will get conflicting advice from seemingly experienced people. That creates, for me, another form of analysis paralysis. I would typically use the advise of people I know personally that use equipment in a similar way. Most of my family that is in AG do not have remotely similar situations. They are huge operations that make a living from farming and ranching. Some of them have individual pieces of equipment that are more costly than our land and buildings combined. Ultimately, anecdotal evidence often leads to worse information than 'no information'.

/ Is country line stuff any good compared to land pride? #37  
I don't know anything about Country Line. I do have a Land pride rfm (FDR 1672) and it has been flawless over the last five years. I have a short mowing season here so it doesn't get a lot of use (7 acres about 3-4 times a year). I use it to cut field grass on mostly hillside. My only complaint is that I'm starting to lose chunks off the edges of the solid wheels because of how rocky my land is.

/ Is country line stuff any good compared to land pride? #38  
I bet TSC requires competitive bidding on that stuff to obtain the lowest price for maximum profit. They are in business to make money last time I checked.
Yup. Some place on the internet a guy posted that LandPride was in it purely as a public service.

I've had 3 LandPride RFM's and 3 Caroni RFM's. The longest running Caroni was bought new (sun faded and reduced price at Central Tractor in 1991). Over the years that deck sat outside a lot and since adding a second tractor with the first LandPride, was very much abused. Finally did a refurb on it about a year ago so there would still be a 5 foot deck for the old Ford.

I've gone through a couple spindles (Agri Supply calls them "quills") that were damaged by trying to grind up unseen objects while using it as a bush hog. The complete quill is around $65 and the spindle is only around $17. I have bent a few stems on the gauge wheels, but have managed to get them straight again. I'm cooking up a plan to improve that flaw.

Weak parts on the LandPrides were the gauge wheels. Even with lube, the bearings didn't last all that long.

/ Is country line stuff any good compared to land pride? #39  
Yup. Some place on the internet a guy posted that LandPride was in it purely as a public service.
Not sure I buy that but if you say so.... Landpride is actually Great Plains is owned by Kubota now.

/ Is country line stuff any good compared to land pride? #40  
Not sure I buy that but if you say so.... Landpride is actually Great Plains is owned by Kubota now.
I read on the Internet that 87% of sarcasm is misunderstood on internet forums. Of course, I also read that 43% of statistics posted in forums are made up. :)