Buying Advice Is it possible to go too big?

/ Is it possible to go too big? #121  
   / Is it possible to go too big? #122  
Xfaxman, I'd be all aboard with one of those IF it had a rear PTO (or hydraulic functions) to operate a mower.
The 5610 has a PTO but it is only rated at 25 hp. The red PTO shaft cover is barely visible in this picture:
P1300001.JPG

I like to have the mowers out front, crab steering the 7' brush hog mowing over the edge of the pond:
P8030003.JPG

And the out front 6' finish mower:
PA080001.JPG

Last edited:
   / Is it possible to go too big? #123  
Xfaxman, well, for sure that's a good thing: not all implements can be operated in a different direction (in Europe a lot of PTO implements are bi-directional). I never wanted a PTO-driven auger for fear of getting one stuck. I ran a skidsteer with an auger and there's now no way I'd go any other way than hydraulically driven: getting a large auger stuck 4' down w/o reverse is BAD. If the PTO were higher-rated you'd have sold me! (I need to run my 7' flail- wouldn't want to run it in the reverse direction!). NOTE: I was sold a long time ago, but still not enough money to buy one as an additional machine (still need to retain my CUTs).

/ Is it possible to go too big? #124  
   / Is it possible to go too big? #125  
I never wanted a PTO-driven auger for fear of getting one stuck. I ran a skidsteer with an auger and there's now no way I'd go any other way than hydraulically driven: getting a large auger stuck 4' down w/o reverse is BAD.
Yep, this is reversable:
PHD..JPG

If the PTO were higher-rated you'd have sold me! (I need to run my 7' flail- wouldn't want to run it in the reverse direction!).
Sell it and get a front mount flail:
flail.JPG

/ Is it possible to go too big? #126  
Some info on the Toolcat:

View attachment 719460
4 wheel steering:
View attachment 719461

Lift maxed out at 3,189 pounds with the engine idling.
View attachment 719462

There are many comments about not using a cab tractor in the woods, but those tractors won't fit through a 7' high overhead door like the Toolcat does:
View attachment 719464

OK. I'm sold. Can you tell us ballpark how much a new Toolcat with that PU box runs? It will also need the basic implements: FEL with bucket, 3pt hitch, some sort of blade, and a backhoe...maybe a grapple if the whole package isn't too steep.
rScotty

/ Is it possible to go too big? #127  
Xfaxman, if you had to decide on only one of your machines which would it be, the Toolcat or the V417?

I see that new Toolcats are around $74k. Used, of course depends on condition etc., are about 1/2 that.

I need to lift up around 2,500 lbs, so, for me, the Toolcat couldn't be a replacement machine.

/ Is it possible to go too big? #128  
OK. I'm sold. Can you tell us ballpark how much a new Toolcat with that PU box runs?
Depends on your dealer. Mine G series was $20,602 and the trade-in F series. in May of 2017. The one with the box is the model 5600 no 3pt hitch, but is available as an aftermarket add on.
It will also need the basic implements: FEL with bucket, 3pt hitch, some sort of blade, and a backhoe...maybe a grapple if the whole package isn't too steep.
rScotty
Comes with FEL and SSQA. Backhoe is front mount:
swing arm.png

Spartan_Skid_Steer_Swingarm_Backhoe_.jpg

Last edited:
   / Is it possible to go too big? #129  
Xfaxman, if you had to decide on only one of your machines which would it be, the Toolcat or the V417?
V417.
I need to lift up around 2,500 lbs, so, for me, the Toolcat couldn't be a replacement machine.
A Toolcat could be a replacement machine for you.

I just tested the lift on our G Series with the crane scale at 3,189 pounds:
PB020019.JPG

Edit to clarify the picture. The scale is hanging from a chain on the SSQA and hooked to the hitch on the V417 that weighs over 10K. The scale is showing the max lifting force of the Toolcat loader at this boom angle. It will lift more weight at a lower boom angle.

Last edited:
   / Is it possible to go too big? #130  
Yeah, with 100hp (or there abouts), the V417 is a beast- industrial rated. Just wish they had a PTO! Hoping that Merlo's Ag machines would start influencing US markets: and smaller versions would be awesome!

The boom reach and a cutter on the end is something that I'd really appreciate!