Is it to cold to buy diesel

/ Is it to cold to buy diesel #1  

bigtiller

Tractor
JD 2720 & 3039R
I need 5 gallons of diesel.
It's a bright sunny day but it's only 5 degrees and windy outside.

What's the chance that the diesel in the pump at the gas station is gelled?

After I get it home, it will be in a 45 degree heated garage.

/ Is it to cold to buy diesel #2  
Add anti jell in your container before pumping.

/ Is it to cold to buy diesel #4  
Most tanks are under ground and are at about 50 deg F. Once you get the fuel home, fill a small clear jar or bottle and put it in your freezer (or outside if it is cold) for a day. You can then assess how safe the fuel is. The last truck stop fuel I bought was not very winter ready so I didn't put it in the equipment. The paraffin separated and collected at the bottom of the jar in one glob. Instead, I got some 75/25 blend from the neighbor and that only slightly got foggy with very little separation. We do have a station that sells 20% blend too.

Test your own fuel. If you don't, you don't know what you really are buying.

/ Is it to cold to buy diesel #5  
Nah, you’ll be fine. The temp below ground is much warmer. Add an anti-gel to your tank. Probably already cut with kerosene/winter additives.

/ Is it to cold to buy diesel #6  
I live is SW Michigan. Gets cold here. All diesel suppliers switch over to winter blend around mid-October. I'm sure it's the same in Iowa.

No additives needed since the supplier takes care of that. I've never used additives in diesel and I've lived here 65 years.

/ Is it to cold to buy diesel
I wonder how well the pump is insulated or heated?
It's a small town with a busy highway, so maybe a diesel costumer every 2 hours.
I think I'll take a chance and go to town with my can and then let it sit on the warm bench overnight.

/ Is it to cold to buy diesel #8  
I blew snow yesterday. Fresh pump diesel. .... oh and in Manitoba today its -33c (-26f)
buy it from a reputable supplier that's fresh (season specific) and most of the time no anti gel required. I add a small amount when it gets really cold (less than -30c) otherwise season appropriate, fresh supply from reputable supplier will do you fine 99% of the time.
Oh... and in winter I avoid bio diesel but tonnes of people use it no problems.

Last edited:
   / Is it to cold to buy diesel #9  
I live is SW Michigan. Gets cold here. All diesel suppliers switch over to winter blend around mid-October. I'm sure it's the same in Iowa.

No additives needed since the supplier takes care of that. I've never used additives in diesel and I've lived here 65 years.
I use additives because once it gets in my truck tank or eventually the tractor tank, I never know what’s in them. PA is actually listed as a state notorious for bad diesel fuel, despite some of the highest prices in the country.
Like the extra lubricity too.

/ Is it to cold to buy diesel #10  
I made the mistake of buying a full tank for a VW Rabbit diesel in NJ, where the temps were about 40°F, driving to northern Vt, parking and it went to 40 below. Had to thaw the fuel by putting a plastic bag around the fuel filter and immersing it in hot water. Lesson learned, fill up local.