Is modern tractor repair like modern car repair and super complicated requiring a dealer?

/ Is modern tractor repair like modern car repair and super complicated requiring a dealer? #71  
I rarely "throw parts at it". If I do, it's after exhausting all my other options. Every repair shop, even the dealership sometimes does that too.
Was working on Honda ATV a few years back with electric shift, and had the OEM service manual. Part of the diagnostics was to connect a special Honda tester to a certain component to determine if the readings were within a certain range. The funny thing was if the readings were outside of the normal range the first step was to determine if the tester was working correctly So step one was to not trust the tester if you got a bad reading.

/ Is modern tractor repair like modern car repair and super complicated requiring a dealer? #72  
The problem is is that these new cars
with all the electronic gadgets are not
cheap to replace! Just the radio in our
car was told to replace it will cost $2.399
for the radio and then the cost of instalation
and it might last 13 or 14 months just like
the new refrigerators with there 12 month
warranty refrigerators. You should watch
youtube and see this guy purchased all
whirl pool appliances oven don't work the
refrigerator hasn't worked for 3 months
but I don't remember him saying anything
about the microwave or dish washer

willy

/ Is modern tractor repair like modern car repair and super complicated requiring a dealer? #73  
The problem is is that these new cars
with all the electronic gadgets are not
cheap to replace! Just the radio in our
car was told to replace it will cost $2.399
for the radio and then the cost of instalation
and it might last 13 or 14 months just like
the new refrigerators with there 12 month
warranty refrigerators. You should watch
youtube and see this guy purchased all
whirl pool appliances oven don't work the
refrigerator hasn't worked for 3 months
but I don't remember him saying anything
about the microwave or dish washer

willy
A friend of mine has the same samsung inverter fridge that I have. His compressor drive went out within the first 6 months. It was fixed under warranty but took weeks to get fixed. The invoice showed the part was almost as much as the entire fridge and with labor it would of cost more . The board that is the VFD is also the controls all in one. If they would of split it out and used an allenBradley, you could replace it for a couple hundred at the most

/ Is modern tractor repair like modern car repair and super complicated requiring a dealer? #74  
True that! I was into small light and agile back then I use to drive my father nuts with the Fiat X1/9s had 3 of them each one worse than the last. They were a blast to drive but a lot of work to keep on the road.
I would guess those fall under hard to repair due to lack of parts.

/ Is modern tractor repair like modern car repair and super complicated requiring a dealer? #75  
yea, My truck was tuned with EFI live sadly and from what i was told, the easiest way to get it back to stock is to just buy a replacement computer.

If i had the code to my wifes van, i could fix some of the programming bugs in it. The HVAC randomly wont be in auto when displaying AUTO on start up. you have to toggle to manual and back to auto for the AC to run right.
Just in case you were wondering: A month or so ago, a 'Tuner Shop' in Waterford (just east of me) was fined $10 MILLION by the Michigan Attorney Generals office for modifying the manufacturers emissions controls to defeat them, to increase power levels, with the resulting violations of State and Federal Clean Air Act provisions.
Some states now are implementing mandatory safety and emissions tests (ah yes, NY has had it forever as I recall). If you fail you no get license plate.

/ Is modern tractor repair like modern car repair and super complicated requiring a dealer? #76  
Just in case you were wondering: A month or so ago, a 'Tuner Shop' in Waterford (just east of me) was fined $10 MILLION by the Michigan Attorney Generals office for modifying the manufacturers emissions controls to defeat them, to increase power levels, with the resulting violations of State and Federal Clean Air Act provisions.
Some states now are implementing mandatory safety and emissions tests (ah yes, NY has had it forever as I recall). If you fail you no get license plate.

Emissions testing isn't new but it has been spreading. Illinois had it when I lived there for gas and Nevada but not diesel

Tuner shops are closing up for diesels and manufacturers of aftermarket emissions related stuff like delete kits.

I avoided the emissions stuff by buying pre emissions but some states are moving to deny registration for commercial use of pre emission equipment

/ Is modern tractor repair like modern car repair and super complicated requiring a dealer? #77  
I would guess those fall under hard to repair due to lack of parts.
No parts was never the issue the whole car used parts from a high volume fiat sedan and parts were cheap.

/ Is modern tractor repair like modern car repair and super complicated requiring a dealer? #78  
My state has both annual safety and emissions tests, and has for many years. Vehicles older than 20 years are exempt from emissions testing (though some inspection stations will still fail it if the check engine light is on), and those registered as antiques only need safety inspection every other year.

/ Is modern tractor repair like modern car repair and super complicated requiring a dealer? #79  
South Carolina did away w safety inspections A LONG TIME AGO.
That was the worst thing that could have happened.!!
Let’s just say, if your traveling thru SC, just take a look at the junkers on the road..No lights, Bald tires, cracked windshields..
It’s REALLY BAD at night..
1 headlight burned out and the other stuck on hi-beam.!!! It’s a mess..

/ Is modern tractor repair like modern car repair and super complicated requiring a dealer? #80  
I read that used to farmers had to know how to repair their equipment or at least they had a good shot at being able to do it. Otoh, I heard that about cars too. But, cars are pretty hard to work on lots of times now because of computers. Is tractor repair like modern cars? Pretty hard to do, not like the older tractors?

I'm an auto tech and I cannot talk to my tractor's computer because it is behind a pay wall. Ask if they have any diesel techs that went to trade school besides maybe the shop foreman at the dealer you hope to purchase from.