Is Power Service Diesel Kleen that good?

/ Is Power Service Diesel Kleen that good? #11  
Power Service products are excellent. Seafoam is good too, but being a local company I may be a little biased.
Been using PS for years.

/ Is Power Service Diesel Kleen that good? #12  
Wouldn’t higher compression be easier starting than lower compression (assuming battery and starter turn equally fast). Don’t more cylinders try? I thought decompression was so starter could turn faster.

Isn’t being able to start with full compression a sign that starter and battery are good? How would fuel treatment help with full compression starts? Perhaps, injector spray pattern gets better so start is quicker before battery get weak?
Yes, diesels ignite better at higher temperatures, which are aided by full compression, glow plugs, and preheaters. And you are absolutely on the money that the point of decompression is to get the engine spinning at full starting speed. Once it is spinning as fast as it gets, switching decompression off gets the engine full compression, and helps the diesel ignite better and start.

Just because a starter can crank an engine over and start it doesn't make it a good thing for the starter. Using decompression is less work (and heating) on a starter and a battery, which will make them last longer. Starters on engines with decompression, tend to be less powerful, and therefore tend to be paired with smaller, less powerful batteries. If the smaller starter is asked for more effort more frequently by not using decompression, it just won't last as long. So, yes, cranking over the engine without decompression and getting it to start is a stringent test of the starter and battery- it is a really heavy load. That's why it is better to use decompression if it is available.

As to why @etpm had better starting after fuel treatment, I don't know for sure, but cleaner injectors spring to mind, as does a better lubricated pump and injectors that would get more fuel in a better pulse for superior injection. I am just guessing. I agree with you that better spray patterns would help any diesel. I wouldn't rule out cetane increases, but those are generally pretty small.

I hope that this helps.

All the best,

Peter

/ Is Power Service Diesel Kleen that good? #13  
1630632905435.png

Attachments

• Diesel_fuel_additive_test.pdf
    130.7 KB · Views: 72
   / Is Power Service Diesel Kleen that good? #14  
Is B2 (2% biodiesel mix) not pretty common now-a-days? Seems it would take care of all the lubricity concerns.

/ Is Power Service Diesel Kleen that good? #15  
Looks like I'll keep on adding an oz or two of 2-cycle oil per tank and PS at near double concentration (which they say is optional).

Wow. I can see why Marvel Mystery Oil used to be recommended for breakin oil, long ago. It's mildly abrasive!

/ Is Power Service Diesel Kleen that good? #16  
Looks like I'll keep on adding an oz or two of 2-cycle oil per tank and PS at near double concentration (which they say is optional).

Wow. I can see why Marvel Mystery Oil used to be recommended for breakin oil, long ago. It's mildly abrasive!

On the chart, the overall treatment would be the FPPF formula used in bus garages all across the country.
The scoring of 439 is in the good realm, that's about 140 better than PS.

It's made in Buffalo-NY too. (y)

/ Is Power Service Diesel Kleen that good? #17  
I'm confused......by the chart in as much as the numbers apply to just certain formulations by any one manufacturer...

e.g. Power Service make the silver bottle (Diesel Clean + cetane boost).....but it has no anti-gel properties.....It is for above 32 deg F Their white bottle has cetane boost and has anti-gel.....It is for below 32 deg F

e.g. Howes Diesel Treat has no cetane boost but has anti-gel.

Those of us who live where summer can be over 100 deg F or below 0 deg F need cetane boost and anti-gel properties....along with lubricity etc.

Some TBN members even say they never add anything to their diesel fuel.

Part of the discussion may depend on the volumes of fuel involved....like in 5 gallon containers for small usage interval....or .....those with high volume usage.

Cheers,
Mike

/ Is Power Service Diesel Kleen that good? #18  
Part of the discussion may depend on the volumes of fuel involved....like in 5 gallon containers for small usage interval....or .....those with high volume usage.
Ya, I use 5 gal jugs and the silver bottle as of now. 1.5 oz per jug.

/ Is Power Service Diesel Kleen that good? #19  
I'm confused......by the chart in as much as the numbers apply to just certain formulations by any one manufacturer...

e.g. Power Service make the silver bottle (Diesel Clean + cetane boost).....but it has no anti-gel properties.....It is for above 32 deg F Their white bottle has cetane boost and has anti-gel.....It is for below 32 deg F

e.g. Howes Diesel Treat has no cetane boost but has anti-gel.

Those of us who live where summer can be over 100 deg F or below 0 deg F need cetane boost and anti-gel properties....along with lubricity etc.

Some TBN members even say they never add anything to their diesel fuel.

Cheers,
Mike

I'm in the wild extremes of summer 106F at the max and a -27F at the max. So, the best realistic option is the Opti-Lube XPD, but the cost is 3X over PS, yet it works so much better. hmmm.

The saying of, You get what you pay for, applies here.

The Opti-Lube Winter Blend could be the solution for Fall/Winter/Spring. I run bio-diesel in the summer, thus this could be my solution overall.

/ Is Power Service Diesel Kleen that good? #20  
Just don't let biodiesel sit very long, as it is much better at growing algae...