Is quality going downhill?

/ Is quality going downhill? #1  

reb

Veteran Member
Tractor
YM1500D
Maybe I'm just getting old and cranky. I have had to send items back or use warranties more the last year than ever before.

Bought an air rifle from a major manufacturer that will not group well from a rest. It is going back tomorrow. Bought a scope for the rifle that became fuzzy after a short while. The company replaced it. Bought a remote control for the wife's satellite dish. Couldn't make it work and returned it couple of months ago. A hearing amplifier broke before the factory warranty expired. The other quit before the extended warranty expired. (I expected that--with an extended warranty on one of those it is almost a given that replacement is inevitable.)

Back when I was working the company dissolved the quality assurance group and apparently let the customer be the final test. This in an outfit that made aircraft instruments. Has this become a trend?

/ Is quality going downhill? #2  
Yep, you're probably just old and cranky. You may be trying to save too much money by buying second or third tier Chinese products. I can address the air rifle better than the other devices. What air rifle did you buy? Chinese? I only buy European air rifles and current price for a new air rifle of decent quality is in the range of $300. If you're dealing in a spring piston air rifle be advised the scope must be rated for the recoil. They have a kind of double recoil which limits the number of compatible scopes. Check in at Airguns of Arizona in or near Phoenix.

/ Is quality going downhill? #3  
I suspect you’re buying bottom quality stuff and expecting it to be quality.

/ Is quality going downhill?
Yep, you're probably just old and cranky. You may be trying to save too much money by buying second or third tier Chinese products. I can address the air rifle better than the other devices. What air rifle did you buy? Chinese? I only buy European air rifles and current price for a new air rifle of decent quality is in the range of $300. If you're dealing in a spring piston air rifle be advised the scope must be rated for the recoil. They have a kind of double recoil which limits the number of compatible scopes. Check in at Airguns of Arizona in or near Phoenix.
The old and cranky part is probably justified. I am also justifiably accused of trying to save money on my purchases.

The rifle is from a well known European manufacturer. I am aware of the scope requirements--I have been an air rifle user for about 35 years. The scope provided with the rifle is rated for the recoil, and the better one I replaced it with is also rated for air rifle use.

/ Is quality going downhill? #5  
Oops, my bad - maybe. I've had very good luck with my European air rifles (Diana and Air Arms) and any scope failures have been covered by warranty. I won't say the airguns were perfect as received, I do tweak them a bit. In many ways the older ones were of superior quality, though. I do appreciate some of the improvements over time.

/ Is quality going downhill? #6  
My opinion is markets of today have opened up to a vast number of Asian manufacturers that weren’t available decades ago.
This brings in lower quality finished goods, or lower quality parts and assemblies used in alleged better quality products which all fail at a higher rate.

/ Is quality going downhill? #7  
I agree with Reb.
When's the last time you bought a fridge that lasted for 30+ years, now days if you get 10 you're lucky. Washer dryer, same thing.
Range is the same, even if you can get parts to repair it they cost darn near as much as a complete new unit. My range is almost 25 years old, a couple of new element controls and a new oven thermostat and elements over that time and it's still going...because it's repairable at a reasonable cost not a sealed up mystery box.
Toaster, mines 15+ years old and works a good as new, my daughter bought one bit over a year ago and it croaked. Had a Roku box for my working old dumb plasma TV, lasted a year and a bit.
Warranty...right, you send it back at your cost and well send you a new one for shipping. Although on that note, my Keureg mini died, I called up expecting a battle as it was only 6 months old. After a couple of questions they sent me new one at no cost..............Mike

/ Is quality going downhill? #8  
I dunno, I haven't noticed appliances lasting any less time than they used to. I replaced my refrigerator this summer, old one was still running after 18 years, just a bit of an energy hog and kind of noisy. Given the number of items that are in short supply with long lead times I just figured I'd replace it before it broke.

I think the key is to avoid the models with all the gee-whiz features. Just like in the past, one more thing to break. Unfortunately, it's getting harder to find basic models of anything anymore. Manufacturers claim those don't sell, that people want all the bells and whistles (and they're probably right).

/ Is quality going downhill? #9  
Unfortunately, it's getting harder to find basic models of anything anymore.
You're right there for sure.
Friend of mine bought a new washer and dryer, he proceeds to tell me, "it'll talk to me and tell me when my clothes are dry" OK, so you can't hear the dryer shutting off. "But it's got Wifi and it'll send me a text as well when they're dry" So if you're far enough away to need wifi, why do you care if they're dry.
Give me the washer with one knob with the 'click/click/click' when you turn it and a dryer that you set for 30 minutes and I'm happy.....Mike

/ Is quality going downhill? #10  
Yes quality is going down. Quality is controlled by the accounting dept. Not customer service. Think about a bottled water. When you open it it splashes all over you. Why? Because they fill them to the very top and they are made out of plastic so thin that they don't hold there structure when you squeeze them to open them. Bean counters are the scurge of manufacturing!