Is Rock and Roll dead. Part 2.

/ Is Rock and Roll dead. Part 2. #1  

N80

Tractor
Kubota L4400 4wd w/LA 703 FEL
Years ago I posted a thread in this forum about how I thought traditional rock and roll was dead. Following the decline of alternative rock in the 1990s there really hasn't been too much new stuff for the rock and roll fan to get into. The classic rock stations play all the old standards but never any new stuff and not much other than the big hits. No 'B' sides, etc. I still think rock and roll is "mostly dead".

In that thread, whenever it was (I've searched and cannot find it), someone turned me on to Alabama Shakes (thanks again whoever it was!). What a great band. Their first album was amazing. The second album, not so much. It was well done and very, well, creative, but quite a departure from their first album. I don't mind this. I'd rather a band branch out and experiment rather than just repeatedly copy the one or two songs that made them famous.

The reason I'm posting this is that I recently discovered a new band that gives me a little hope. I saw the end of one of their concerts on Axess TV. They have opened for some big bands like the Stones and they have a pretty large fan base so its not like they are actually undiscovered....but I have not heard them on any radio stations. The name of the band is The Struts. Their music is a lot like the glam rock of the 1970's. Their songs are catchy with a slightly hard edge. Definitely closer to pop-rock than hard rock and definitely not progressive rock. But, if you liked Queen and Freddie Mercury or Sweet (Fox on the Run, Ballroom Blitz, etc) you'll like the Struts. They say they are amazing live and they have a great on-stage presence. The lead singer wears retro glam rock type cloths, eye shadow and all that kitsch but seems not to take himself too seriously and while he's no Freddie Mercury he can really belt them out. In a certain way they remind me of the Black Crows in terms of stage presence and 'freshness'. They are to glam rock what the Black Crows where to roots rock. A sort of fresh new look.

Anyway, for those of you into the older styles of rock, take a look at these guys. Nothing deep, serious or intellectual (like Rush, Yes, Pink Floyd) etc, but definitely some Queen vibe in there and even a little Zep.

/ Is Rock and Roll dead. Part 2. #2  
I grew up with VanHalen Poison Metallica Kiss AC/DC etc.. then came the hair bands of the late 80s 90s.. Now 30 years later I find myself listening to Johnny Cash, Garth Brooks, Randy Travis..and still like Van Halen and Tesla.. I was actually in the studio when Skid Row was recording Slave to the Grind in Florida.. fun times..from what I can remember anyway ..lol

/ Is Rock and Roll dead. Part 2. #3  
With a few exceptions (like 'The Heartbreakers') real R&R has been dead or dying since the early to mid 70's...just about any band since, regardless of success or popularity are/were just wannabes that will never really compare to the real thing.

/ Is Rock and Roll dead. Part 2. #4  
I guess it depends on your definition of rock and roll. We still have several local radio stations that play oldies rock and roll from the 50's-70's. I have them programmed in my vehicles. I'm not a fan of much of the music from the 80's to present.
I also attend several classic car shows every week. There is a show every night of the week depending on the weather. The majority of classic and antique car owners are over 60 years young and the DJ's play the oldies rock and roll. I never get tired of it. Guess I'm stuck in that time period. I like some country (mainly older country music) but find I usually change the channel back to rock and roll within an hour or so.

/ Is Rock and Roll dead. Part 2.
With a few exceptions (like 'The Heartbreakers') real R&R has been dead or dying since the early to mid 70's...just about any band since, regardless of success or popularity are/were just wannabes that will never really compare to the real thing.

Of course it is all a matter of taste, but I consider bands like U2 and REM to be 'real' rock bands that broke new ground with their own creativity. I also felt like the alternative rock movement was amazing but I do not own much of their music. Rush bridged the 70s through the 90s but I did not care for their work after about 1986. The roots rock movement was great too. The Black Crowes. Son Volt. Uncle Tupelo. Wilco. But that didn't last.

U2's The Joshua tree was the first album to have been voted (in polls) above the Beatles White album.

Having said that my rock and roll epicenter is the 1970's primarily Led Zep, the Stones, etc. Also prog rock like Rush and Yes and Pink Floyd. But, I've never been content with just listening to the 'oldies'.

For me, rock died in the late 1990s. And because I like to hear something 'new', I started getting into older more indie type stuff. A lot of this is roots rock and older country type stuff...before Garth Brooks and Randy Travis. But I do like Dwight Yokum. I really really don't like the current pop-country movement that has pretty much replaced rock and roll. I'm also really into blues. Delta blues primarily, 1940s and 50s. Pretty much every theme and guitar trick you hear in rock was invented by these guys....and stolen in some cases.

So rock is dead. I think we'd all agree. Or "mostly dead" as Miracle Max would say. So when someone like Alabama Shakes or The Struts come along I get pretty excited. The Struts only have one album but it is great. You Tube videos of their performances show them to be serious showmen. Not sure how the glam rock think will sell in the long run....it didn't last all that long the first time around. And some rock fans won't have the stomach for all that glam and showiness....but I like it and liked it back then. I still have the Sweet album with Ballroom Blitz on it.

/ Is Rock and Roll dead. Part 2. #6  
In that thread, whenever it was (I've searched and cannot find it), someone turned me on to Alabama Shakes (thanks again whoever it was!).

You're welcome. ;)

I think that thread got closed, or moved to the back forums, if I'm not mistaken.

/ Is Rock and Roll dead. Part 2. #8  
...bands like U2 and REM to be 'real' rock bands...

I did say there are/were exceptions and U2 is a good example...in the same respect a lot of bands that sold a lot of records were not so creative and few had unique sounds...
Although they have mellowed with age another band like 'The Heartbreakers' (until the untimely death of Tom Petty) that survived the decades since rock and roll was supreme is 'The Moody Blues'...

I think one of the most interesting things currently happening in the "rock" scene is Mike Campbell joining 'Fleetwood Mac'
Previously I thought that some others like Bob Dylan and Jeff Lynne would regroup with Mike Campbell and Benmont Tench for 'The Traveling Wilburys 2'

You're welcome. ;)

I think that thread got closed, or moved to the back forums, if I'm not mistaken.

Well, thanks again. I have enjoyed that album for years now and look forward to their third album if there will be one. I listen to the second album on occasion but it just isn't my cup of tea.

I did say there are/were exceptions and U2 is a good example...in the same respect a lot of bands that sold a lot of records were not so creative and few had unique sounds...
Although they have mellowed with age another band like 'The Heartbreakers' (until the untimely death of Tom Petty) that survived the decades since rock and roll was supreme is 'The Moody Blues'...

I think one of the most interesting things currently happening in the "rock" scene is Mike Campbell joining 'Fleetwood Mac'
Previously I thought that some others like Bob Dylan and Jeff Lynne would regroup with Mike Campbell and Benmont Tench for 'The Traveling Wilburys 2'

I always liked the Moody Blues.

Check out Bob Dylan and Charles Stanley (one of the kings of bluegrass for those who don't know) on their duo of "Lonesome River". It is available on iTunes. If you like Dylan or bluegrass you'll love it.

If you like Tom Petty but don't have all of his albums, check out his song "Billy the Kid". Never made it on the radio. Great stuff. The loss of Tom Petty was a real blow to rock and roll. So sad.

While we're throwing out names and evoking Dylan, you can't forget about The Band. I still listen to them frequently.