Is the AGM battery worth the extra cost?

/ Is the AGM battery worth the extra cost? #71  
What about "gel" batteries? Is that an outdated term?

/ Is the AGM battery worth the extra cost? #72  
No, not at all, but they are more used for standby power applications and not so much in cranking, if ever. Used where spillage and orientation are a concern.

/ Is the AGM battery worth the extra cost? #73  
So, Would a Gel style battery be useful in this situation? OP was talking about a dump trailer if I recall correctly. I don't have a dump, but am curious and following this thread.

/ Is the AGM battery worth the extra cost? #74  
They use them all the time in electric wheelchairs. I think, (I'm guessing) that the capacity of a lead acid battery for the same size is highly diminished in a gelled form. And less likely to survive any abuse as well.

/ Is the AGM battery worth the extra cost? #75  
   / Is the AGM battery worth the extra cost? #76  
A friend gave me a couple of AGMs. Not sure what their history was. Everytime he sees them here, he points to them and says "those are good batteries" . Like I said, I don't know what their history has been but of the dozens/hundreds of used or take out batteries my friend had given me, these are about my least favorite. I would have scrapped them long ago, except he keeps saying how good they are. lol

/ Is the AGM battery worth the extra cost? #77  
The battery is labeled VHLA, whatever that means:

View attachment 687669

None of my AGM batteries have had a vent hose or corroded the terminals like that :eek:.

This is a VRLA - Valve Regulated Lead Acid Battery also known as sealed lead-acid. And I believe that is a pressure relief valve, not a vent like on wet cell batteries.

/ Is the AGM battery worth the extra cost? #78  
This is a VRLA - Valve Regulated Lead Acid Battery also known as sealed lead-acid.
thats what i eluded to earlier. i think the letter is partially obscured.

/ Is the AGM battery worth the extra cost? #79  
My Nappa guy says he gets the same amount of failures of agm and lead acid and the both seem to last the same . Why spend the extra money ?:drink:

/ Is the AGM battery worth the extra cost? #80  
My Nappa guy says he gets the same amount of failures of agm and lead acid and the both seem to last the same . Why spend the extra money ?:drink:

My OReilly guy says the AGMs he sells last a lot longer than the flooded batteries he sells.
Why not spend the extra money :D