Is there a diesel comparable to the 8n?

/ Is there a diesel comparable to the 8n? #81  
Response in english would be appreciated. I know some stuf, & can detect bs well .. but I dont know this at all. Pls be explicit. Are you saying some 8Ns are gas and some are diesel?? :confused2:
larry

nowhere did my post mention a diesel 8n...

I don't know how I can possibly break it down any clearer... it's gonna go from a concise couple paragraphs of plain english to a full page of verbose plain english and convey the same info... oh well.. fingers need some exercise on this 7"x 3" keyboard..

I told you the cubic inches.. the number of cylinders.. the head design of the engines.. stated they were naturally aspirated.. IE.. no turbo or supercharged. I told you that a special carb was available for the 8n that let it burn TVO.. tractor vaporizing oil.. or more commonly.. kerosene.. to do this it used a vaporizing carb.

???????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????

Then I specifically told you when fors started putting diesels in their tractors.. and what size engines those were.. etc... etc..

I guess for those that don't know about engines, an L head is a flat head.. and OHV is over head valve... CI is cubic inch, and cyl is cylinder. carb = Carburetor

As for the alt fuel 8n.. it's model, as I indicated would be an 8NAN ( you see these as exported models sometimes ).

I then explained the model progression. IE.. the lhead stopped with the 8n.. in late 52 thru mid 54 the NAA was produced.. the first to use the 134ci gas 4 cyl red tiger engine. then in late 54 ford started the number series. ie 600 800 ( ag models ) and the 700/900 rowcrops. that ran thru 57.. then the 01 series started.. ie.. 601, 801, etc.. in 59 the diesels hit.. this series ran thru 62.. then you got the early thousand series.. IE.. 2000/4000 pretty much repainted 601/801 with different sheet metal mostly.. past that totally new engine designs.. ( I'm leaving out the industrials thru the series as I don't know all their start dates )

soundguy

/ Is there a diesel comparable to the 8n? #82  
119ci 4 cyl NA L head gasser. could be had as an 'AN' model with a kerosene vaporizing carb.

[diesels for ford tractors started in 59 with the 01 series. 4 cyl NA 144ci or 172ci ohv jobs similar to the respective 134/172/192 red tiger ohv gassers ford built for the NAA (134) and 00/01/early pre 65 000 /indust. models.]

soundguy

nowhere did my post mention a diesel 8n...

I don't know how I can possibly break it down any clearer... it's gonna go from a concise couple paragraphs of plain english to a full page of verbose plain english and convey the same infosoundguy
[My confusion was here in not being familiar with Model designation jargon enuf to pick things out definitively. Without knowing anything, as I said was the case, 01series was just a progression in the 8N line. Sorry for the confusion. The great detail you supplied is welcome. Your sudden transit to annoyance is puzzling.
larry

/ Is there a diesel comparable to the 8n? #83  
I didn't see any jargon in Soundguy's post that would cause much confusion. It was clear and to the point...I didn't find that there was any terminology that was particularly unclear for the uninitiated.

/ Is there a diesel comparable to the 8n? #84  
[My confusion was here in not being familiar with Model designation jargon enuf to pick things out definitively. Without knowing anything, as I said was the case, 01series was just a progression in the 8N line. Sorry for the confusion. The great detail you supplied is welcome. Your sudden transit to annoyance is puzzling.
larry

series are series.

9n, 2n, 8n, NAA, 00, 01, 000, post 65 000, etc

no series are progressions technically.. they are new series. Many series share common features of previous series. for instance a 601 is an updates 600. a 2n is VERY similar to a 9n.. not much other than 'minutia' as difference.. but enough to get by war time price freezes on existing models :)

no annoyance... just wasn't sure what you were calling jargon.. or if there was an implication of 'bs' since it was mentioned.

soundguy

/ Is there a diesel comparable to the 8n? #85  
Late to the thread.

If I had to pick a diesel equivalent to the Ford 8N with the OP's comments in mind, I'd pick a Late '60s thru mid '70s Ford 2000 with the 3-cylinder diesel. It's a reliable rig and fairly simple. It'll have more power and be a bit heavier than an 8N, but the OP indicated that wouldn't be a bad thing.

I had a 2000 gasser. Good tractor. Sipped gas, reliable and simple to maintain. It's two drawbacks were no power steering and a transmission type PTO. I think the diesels came with PS, but don't know about the PTO. I've been spoiled by independent PTO but, before that, got along with the tranny type PTO for decades.
Bob

/ Is there a diesel comparable to the 8n? #86  
ps and live pto were optional on fords from 55 and up... just depends on the model and/or how you spec'd the mahcine when you ordered it. Independent pto could be had in 59 via an sos trans, and later on thru the twin stick trans+, again, depends on how you spec'd the machine at ordering.

soundguy

/ Is there a diesel comparable to the 8n? #87  
ps and live pto were optional on fords from 55 and up... just depends on the model and/or how you spec'd the mahcine when you ordered it. Independent pto could be had in 59 via an sos trans, and later on thru the twin stick trans+, again, depends on how you spec'd the machine at ordering.

soundguy

Soooo it is necessary to ask if these options are on these units in mind if they have not already been listed...which ideally the should have for the simple sales factor.
I too am looking hard. W/ no interest in my sailboat my $$$ is pushing me into the neighborhood of the the 8n. But after meeting the Good ol boys down the road that run the tractor repair/men's club...PS and live power is needed if not for me...but the next owner when I head back to the sea.
(hey look...a song in the making)
I have a bunch of options in the MF 35 under $3k in Diesel or gas (both solar!) and one w/ FEL($4500gas).
The Dexta had PS and 2 stage PTO(live?)?
I need to start ground work soon for horses.

cw

/ Is there a diesel comparable to the 8n? #88  
2 stage clutch is a live pto.. parts and service for a dexta may be harder to obtain.

i'd look PAST the N series.. get a hundred series or better.. or that MF. even an naa is better due to the live hyds.

soundguy