Is there any interest in a Electrical education thread?

/ Is there any interest in a Electrical education thread? #1  

mbohuntr

Platinum Member
Tractor
Mahindra 1533
I was thinking about an informal information thread to help the average homeowner better understand the day to day things that they might encounter and stay safe...

/ Is there any interest in a Electrical education thread? #2  
There is a lot of good advice here. Also a lot of bad or questionable advice. Why not leave such stuff to sites that might deal with that subject more specifically?

There is also the matter of different jurisdictions and their varying codes.

/ Is there any interest in a Electrical education thread?
I was considering only general knowledge that might help a homeowner stay out of trouble, such as basic AC concepts like wire/breaker sizing, Wire length and voltage drop, GFCI usage etc., but your right... It would probably devolve into bickering, and sometimes bad advice.

I worry about the do-it yourselfer that is likely to hurt himself, or worse his family by not knowing some basic concepts... That was me years ago...luckily we survived relatively unscathed.. and wiser. Others lost their homes.

/ Is there any interest in a Electrical education thread? #4  
Fortunately, I think someone that is quite clueless isn't usually going to attempt electrical work. I'm sure there are exceptions. You know what they say about a little knowledge.

/ Is there any interest in a Electrical education thread? #5  
In the electrical field,a little knowledge can be a dangerous thing.

Fortunately, I think someone that is quite clueless isn't usually going to attempt electrical work. I'm sure there are exceptions. You know what they say about a little knowledge.

You never met my father.....

/ Is there any interest in a Electrical education thread? #7  
I would welcome a place to ask questions. Had a uncle that was super sharp. Had some electrical in a back building that was three phase with a wild leg. Told me to shut the box and stay out of it. Was later corrected. Here is what I learned last year- if you have a problem call a electrician before calling the utility. Noticed smoke coming out of meter head box. They had installed new meter 2 years before. Three trucks respond and cut electric off at transformer. Turns out the meter box was mine. Had to go with county inspection and new everything on the pole. Two ground rods and other things. Went two months on generator.

/ Is there any interest in a Electrical education thread? #8  
IMO...The single most contributing factor to DYI electrical issues is not comprehending the importance of tight connections...be it on a new light switch, under a wire nut in a jb or under a screw on a breaker etc., etc...

One of the big problems I forsee is trying help someone that is hundreds of miles away, when an electrician can pick up a meter and quickly find the problem.

/ Is there any interest in a Electrical education thread? #10  
Here's my electrical advice...

Back in grade school, I was sitting in class. It was probably 6th grade. Kind of a study period. Things were pretty quiet. All of a sudden we heard that most unique electrical arcing sound that we've all heard a time or two....

BVVVVvvvVVVVVTTTT!!!! followed by desks and chairs crashing and lots of scurrying....

Look back and a kid is at the back of the room, sitting on his rear against a knocked over desk holding a pair of tin snips with a u-shaped burnt pipe cleaner wire in its jaws... and with eyes wide open he yells "DA@!!"

As the cloud of haze rises, the nun rushes down the isle, reaches down to him, and in an act of pure compassion, smacks him in the head multiple times yelling:

"DA@!!??, I'll give you DA@!!" WHACK WHACK WHACK!!!

Oh yeah, I forgot about my electrical advice....

Don't work on the ol' electric outlets if nuns are around.... ;)