Is there any size of tractor that is too big to add a backhoe on it?

/ Is there any size of tractor that is too big to add a backhoe on it?
Thanks for the replies..... maybe time for a "collection"....

/ Is there any size of tractor that is too big to add a backhoe on it? #12  
Many aftermarket backhoe attachments are made to fit on a subframe or a Category 1 3-point hitch. The latter is fairly standard, while the subframes are specific to each tractor. I agree that a category I three point hitch is too weak to handle the forces of a typical 6.5'-8.5' attachment, though many TBN members use them.

However, a Category 2 three point hitch, which is available on some larger utility and AG tractors is much more robust, and seems to be strong enough. I have sold one hoe like my personal one (Woods 7500 copy) to an owner of a Case 480LL with Cat 2, and it has worked well.

Since hoe attachments are hydraulically-powered with their own relief valve, they can not be installed on a tractor that is too big. Just too small.

/ Is there any size of tractor that is too big to add a backhoe on it? #13  
"avoid 2pt backhoes at all cost" .... that is curious... Not knowing much about tractor life, I thought all backhoes are 3pt using the tractor hydraulics..... I use the backhoe in the summer and a snow blower in the winter, so I don't want anything permanently attached. Also, I saw that there were PTO backhoes, how do they compare to pto's driven by the tractor hydraulics? Generally as an aftermarket backhoe that "COULD" fit say a Kioti PX1153, what would be a high quality manufacturer of such an animal. I am most likely buying used, so it wouldn't be a factory option....

The Kubota backhoes have a 4 point subframe mount that’s completely independent if the tractor 3 point arms. The Kioti is a different setup that slides under the tractor. Personally I think the kubota is the better of the 2. You have to remove the 3 point arms but it only takes a couple minutes and the backhoe fits on the tractor a lot better after it’s done. My personal opinion is they’re both bad options. Buy a dedicated digger and leave the tractor alone. If you do go with a tractor backhoe I 100 percent agree with those that say buy a same brand one at the time of original purchase vs trying to cobble something together.

/ Is there any size of tractor that is too big to add a backhoe on it?
Another question to add in my search- not exactly related to attachments, but associated with them. Since I am looking for used 50+ hp, does of the noted sized tractors ( Kioti, Kubota or NH or any other decent tractor) have partial swivel seats? I am getting older and looking over my shoulder while blowing my 1.5 mile driveway starts to wear on my neck and shoulders. Do any of the 50+ hp tractors have a large enough drivers compartment in order to be able to partially swivel around to prevent from getting a sore neck? big issue and getting bigger as I get older.

/ Is there any size of tractor that is too big to add a backhoe on it? #15  
A Kubota M59 and newer M62 has a swivel seat. That’s the only machine I know of short of a full size backhoe that does.

/ Is there any size of tractor that is too big to add a backhoe on it? #16  
A tractor with a full cat 2 three point can easily handle the smaller 3 point back hoes.
It is a bit of a pain as most of those have their own seats and if a cabbed tractor you are
climbing down from the cab and then up on the hoe and then the other way all the time.
Unless you get someone to sit in the cab and move the tractor for you :)
As far as the swivel seat I think that you will be in the 80 hp and up before you get that.

/ Is there any size of tractor that is too big to add a backhoe on it? #17  
. . . I am getting older and looking over my shoulder while blowing my 1.5 mile driveway starts to wear on my neck and shoulders. Do any of the 50+ hp tractors have a large enough drivers compartment in order to be able to partially swivel around to prevent from getting a sore neck? big issue and getting bigger as I get older.

Do we see a bi-directional row-cropper in your future collection? Visit the Quebecois snow-blowing videos on you tube e.g.

My Kubota L45 TLB seat swivels 45° clockwise--L hand on the steering wheel, R arm over the back of the seat minimizes the twist. One might even control the HST pedal with one's L foot. The seat swivels 180° counter clockwise to operate the BH, but that puts the steering wheel directly behind me where I cannot operate it.

My Yankee Puritan solution: Twist my head as far to the R as possible, hold 10 seconds; twist as far to the L and hold for 10 seconds. Twice a day, every day.

/ Is there any size of tractor that is too big to add a backhoe on it? #18  
Most backhoes for tractors are 9 ft length or shorter. The larger Ag type tractor you get, the larger the rear wheels (and further off the ground you are). This shortens the digging depth and reach. In my opinion, any Kubota machine beyond the L or MX series is too high to put a backhoe on, because you loose so much reach. Technically you can put one on the Kubota M60 series, but it is pretty worthless IMO. I have not looked into subframes on these machines either, but I would also never buy a 3 PT backhoe (Again my opinion).

TLDR, dont put a backhoe on an Ag tractor.

/ Is there any size of tractor that is too big to add a backhoe on it? #19  
Neighbor has a 4020 John Deere ag tractor, and I see him with a big Woods back hoe on it quite often.

From what I've seen, he uses it mostly for cleaning out fence rows and digging up tile, and it appears to work out very nicely for him.

He's had it for many years, and he wouldn't keep it around if it gave him problems.

SR

/ Is there any size of tractor that is too big to add a backhoe on it? #20  
Neighbor has a 4020 John Deere ag tractor, and I see him with a big Woods back hoe on it quite often.

From what I've seen, he uses it mostly for cleaning out fence rows and digging up tile, and it appears to work out very nicely for him.

He's had it for many years, and he wouldn't keep it around if it gave him problems.

SR
Modern Ag machines are usually much higher off the ground that these older machines. OP just needs to be sure they carefully consider the height above ground.