Is this an odd set up?

/ Is this an odd set up? #1  

SylvainG

Platinum Member
Tractor
Kioti LK30
When I bought my (new to me) tractor and (new) snow blower, the dealer added a (wood chipper) control valve to control the chute's direction. This valve uses the backhoe hydraulic input. Last weekend, I disconnected the blower and reinstalled the backhoe. Now to work the backhoe, I have to put the blower chute control valve in its detent position so the fluid reaches the backhoe. The backhoe out port connects back to its original location at the back of the tractor, leaving one of the chute port open (need to get a cap, I know). Is this an odd set up? How would you connect the chute if it were you?

gMzCPiB.png

BTW, in this picture, you can see the lever used to disconnect the rods that attach the backhoe to the tractor. Taking off or putting the backhoe is only a matter of moving this lever. It's a very cool setup.

This is what the chute control valve looks like. It's a PLS50T4JRSH by Brand Hydraulics. The right hose connects to the back of the loader control valve and is the backhoe input (Power Beyond). The left hose connects back to the main valve block tank return port. The top top hose is what the backhoe connects to (through that fender mounted quick connect) and bottom top hose is the one left unconnected when using the backhoe. When the snow blower is connected, it connects to one of the blower chute motor port, the top top port connects to the motor other port.

1716hVO.png

Last edited:
   / Is this an odd set up?
Hmm, no answers :( If that can help, here's what they did. It's the hydaulic circuit diagram of my tractor to which I've added in the red rectangle what represents the chute control valve and how it connects into the circuit.

OAWpYNz.png

/ Is this an odd set up?
Circling back to this. What I find odd is when I'm using the backhoe, I have to leave the blower chute valve (red rectangle above) in its detent position to allow the fluid to reach the backhoe, but there is no hose connected to the B port of the valve (see 'B' in the red rectangle above). I've added a plug to prevent dirt from entering the quick connect but since this line connects to the tank port on my hydraulic block assembly, I'm afraid it could suck in air or small dirt particles. Am I worrying for nothing or is this really an odd set up?

/ Is this an odd set up? #4  
Actually has to be plumbed the way it is in red block as with back hoe removed the PB port of chute control has to return to tank.... With back hoe in place you have to open a port on chute valve to create a new PB path to hoe, ie: chute valve body in detent to create flow through path to P port for hoe valve body...

Dale

/ Is this an odd set up?
Yes, the valve IS a log splitter valve (PLS50T4JRSH). With this valve, the pump unloads to tank when the lever is in neutral. That's why I have to move the lever to its detent position (ie, the position to retract the cylinder on a log splitter) when I connect my backhoe instead of the blower. I had to increase the release pressure of the valve otherwise by just moving the backhoe, it would trip the valve to its neutral position :( The soil here is still frozen but now I can easily lift the back of the tractor or pull the tractor with the backhoe without tripping the valve.

My worry though is more with the quick connect that is left open. Because of the lever in its detent position, the return to tank port is now an open path to the tank and that's why I'm afraid contaminant could be sucked in if the hydraulic reservoir is under negative pressure. If the reservoir not under negative pressure, then I guess it shouldn't be a problem if the quick connect is capped.

/ Is this an odd set up? #6  
Hmm, no answers :( If that can help, here's what they did. It's the hydaulic circuit diagram of my tractor to which I've added in the red rectangle what represents the chute control valve and how it connects into the circuit.

OAWpYNz.png
According to this schematic it is functioning correctly. The flow is coming out of the loader valve power beyond to the blower chute control valve. The chute control unloads to tank in the center condition. Shifting the valve provides oil to the back hoe valve. On your tractor the Hydraulic Block assembly is used to select loader valve or three point hitch so power beyond in the chute control valve is not required.
Plugging the unused "B" is not required but is a good idea to keep dirt, moisture, etc. out of the quick disconnect.

/ Is this an odd set up?
Ok, thanks, that's reassuring.

I was thinking of rerouting the valve to make it behave like a remote control valve instead, by disconnecting the return to tank on the valve and bringing to the back of the tractor and connect the backhoe to it. That way, the backhoe would function with the valve in its center position. When disconnecting the backhoe, I would simply plug that quickconnect to the vent port at the back of the tractor (where it would have gone originally). My only concern is the valve says its output port should be connected to tank so not sure how it would handle seeing high pressure on that port (there is a safety relief valve between the in and out port).

/ Is this an odd set up? #9  
Your chute control does not have power beyond so you can not pressurize the tank line of that valve. If the chute valve had power beyond you would still require separate line for tank plus have to install jumper hose whenever the backhoe is not attached

/ Is this an odd set up? #10  
If that valve were to pop out of detent, could you not deadhead the hydraulic pump. Not a good thing.