Is this deer?

/ Is this deer? #1  

RobJ

Elite Member
Tractor
Kubota L2500
It would be a first. Cows usually eat the stalk and all. A coon would probably taken the ear off.

Thanks,
Rob

Attachments

• elkhart.JPG
    elkhart.JPG
    164.7 KB · Views: 239
  • elkhart (1).JPG
    elkhart (1).JPG
    142.6 KB · Views: 161
  • elkhart (2).JPG
    elkhart (2).JPG
    211.3 KB · Views: 151
   / Is this deer? #2  
I had the same thing happen last year. I was blaming rodents but, Nancy tells me she saw turkeys in the garden eating the corn. I never witnessed it but, I guess it could be.

/ Is this deer? #3  
You probably would've said if you did, but did you see any tracks?

/ Is this deer?
Well I didn't notice any but I disked parts of it 2 weeks ago and we had some rain. I really didn't see much of anything, the fence was still intact. It looks like the damage occured right after my last trip...I only get up every other weekend.

Since this is the first time I've seen this I thought some with a deer problem would notice it quickly. Turkeys? Haven't seen any up in our area...since I've been around. It's a little tall for crows which we have plenty. And they might have knocked over the stalks if they landed on them. They'll clean up feeder corn off the ground in no time. Whatever it was hit about every ear I had.

/ Is this deer? #5  
RobJ said:
It would be a first. Cows usually eat the stalk and all. A coon would probably taken the ear off.

Thanks,
Rob

Rob, it looks just exactly like my coon-devastated corn from two years ago. I bet if you were to put up a critter-cam you would see lots of happy raccoons in your photos.:p

/ Is this deer?
jinman said:
Rob, it looks just exactly like my coon-devastated corn from two years ago. I bet if you were to put up a critter-cam you would see lots of happy raccoons in your photos.:p

they were high on my list, dang little hands looked like it was pulled apart.

Thanks

/ Is this deer? #7  
jinman said:
Jim,
I'm also going to take your suggestion. last year I didn't get any good ears from all that I planted.

/ Is this deer? #8  
Possibly squirrels, coons will often ride the stalks down! ~~ grnspot110

/ Is this deer? #9  
****, it's frustrating to realize there are parts of the country where the corn is that tall. I just sowed corn last week because the soil is finally warm to germinate and dry enough that the seed won't rot.

/ Is this deer? #10  
lopezian said:
****, it's frustrating to realize there are parts of the country where the corn is that tall. I just sowed corn last week because the soil is finally warm to germinate and dry enough that the seed won't rot.

Not to add fuel for you, but my dad started pulling his corn yesterday. And mine should be ready by the weekend. We've already put up 20 qts of snap beans, 2 gallons of squash, and my peas should be ready right after the corn. And with a wetter than normal spring, I'll actually have watermelons and cantaloupes by mid-June. It's nice not to be in a drought. Still a little dry, though.