Is this house falling into the ocean?

/ Is this house falling into the ocean? #11  
I moved to Texas in 2002. Before that, I lived in the SF Bay Area. If you built houses in the 80's, then you know how poorly they where built. Everything about them is substandard to what is being built today. I'm also sure that you know that the big changes to Code happened in the 90's after the big quakes in 89. When I left the state, we where tying solid, continuous strapping from the foundation rebar into the rafters or trusses because of earthquakes. The depth of footings, the amount and size of rebar, and how it was tied together all changed. Did you even bolt them to the foundation when you where building there, because that was another big change that happened in the 90's. Before that, builders where doing whatever they wanted with sill plates. It was big money going around and drilling sill plates and bolting them down when everything change after 89.
Really…

/ Is this house falling into the ocean? #12  
The 80's where probably the worse decade for homes. Carter created the EPA and they forced everybody to start all over in how the manufactured stuff. It wasn't until some time in the 90's that they started producing decent houses and cars again.

Not clear if you are blaming Carter (1976-1980) or praising him but Nixon created the EPA in 1970:

The Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) is an independent executive agency of the United States federal government tasked with environmental protection matters.[3] President Richard Nixon proposed the establishment of EPA on July 9, 1970; it began operation on December 2, 1970, after Nixon signed an executive order.[4] The order establishing the EPA was ratified by committee hearings in the House and Senate. The agency is led by its administrator, who is appointed by the president and approved by the Senate.[4]

- Wikipedia

/ Is this house falling into the ocean? #13  
Forgot to add that the house was built in 1986.
Sorry Muhammad, didn't see you were the poster....until this comment.

But I don't think the age of the house or the foundation is a significant issue. In fact, the stress on the home and associated damage continues on outside the home, well into property line fences and walls. Personally, I would encourage your parents to have a relocation plan over the next 2-3 years. And any plumbing failures should rapidly accelerate that relocation plan.

/ Is this house falling into the ocean? #14  
The house my parents are renting for the past three years in San Diego has developed numerous cracks in the sheetrock over the past three years. None of these interior cracks were present there years ago. The patio pulling away from the house and one of the cmu cracks were present 3 years ago.

The house sits on a flat concrete pad about 25' from a 70' embankment. It's pretty obvious that the answer to my question in the title is YES. But the follow up is... how bad is it now and what can be done? What's the end game timeline with these early warning signs?
Run

/ Is this house falling into the ocean?
Sorry Muhammad, didn't see you were the poster....until this comment.

But I don't think the age of the house or the foundation is a significant issue. In fact, the stress on the home and associated damage continues on outside the home, well into property line fences and walls. Personally, I would encourage your parents to have a relocation plan over the next 2-3 years. And any plumbing failures should rapidly accelerate that relocation plan.
I guess that's my thinking as well... they've got a lease renewal coming up so I guess they can push it one more year. If the pipes are running through the slab (most from the 80s are, around here) then it's only a matter of time for a slab leak and those aren't much fun to deal with.

/ Is this house falling into the ocean? #16  
Well that's a given, I just figured some anecdotal comments would be interesting to hear as well.
I know absolutely nothing about living on the cost. LOZ was as close as I could get to my retirement dream:) Do have fam/friends scattered across the left coast. Did you get some input from area pro's? Would love to hear if they see it all the time and no big deal, or dear god get out before it falls!!

With the market as it is now, are they considering letting it go?

Best,

ed

/ Is this house falling into the ocean? #18  
   / Is this house falling into the ocean? #19  
Nephew just bought a house in your neighborhood and his dad is looking at a vacation condo to be close to his son. If it wasn't for the 25 million people in SoCal, i'd move there too.

$4-500/ SF. For a condo.

/ Is this house falling into the ocean? #20  
Not clear if you are blaming Carter (1976-1980) or praising him but Nixon created the EPA in 1970:

The Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) is an independent executive agency of the United States federal government tasked with environmental protection matters.[3] President Richard Nixon proposed the establishment of EPA on July 9, 1970; it began operation on December 2, 1970, after Nixon signed an executive order.[4] The order establishing the EPA was ratified by committee hearings in the House and Senate. The agency is led by its administrator, who is appointed by the president and approved by the Senate.[4]

- Wikipedia
Thanks, I got my Presidents mixed up.