Is this normal?

/ Is this normal? #21  
All are not the same. I also had a 2-speed B7610 that'd go anywhere in H (with full bucket). With my DK35se it won't do jack in High. It is strictly for transport. The issue is that Med is geared too low. Could have been geared a little higher to be more useful. I live on a hilly 13 acre property and am constantly shifting from M to H. It's either that or keep in Med and take a nap in between work locations.

Good tractor besides, and works great on level ground, hills are a PITA.

My implication, perhaps poorly stated, was not that all would do the same in H, rather that you don't floor the HST hoping to "get more power" which is the assumption of far too many HST users regardless of which brand forum you visit. My tractor would easily have climbed the hill in the picture in H and I did not state that his should for reasons you provided.

/ Is this normal? #22  
All are not the same. I also had a 2-speed B7610 that'd go anywhere in H (with full bucket). With my DK35se it won't do jack in High. It is strictly for transport. The issue is that Med is geared too low. Could have been geared a little higher to be more useful. I live on a hilly 13 acre property and am constantly shifting from M to H. It's either that or keep in Med and take a nap in between work locations.

Good tractor besides, and works great on level ground, hills are a PITA.

To be sure I do not further confuse readers, I might add that my B7510 would probably not climb the pictured hill with the backhoe and a full bucket of dirt if I kept the HST pedal pushed to the floor. Your B7610, with more horsepower, might well have done so, but I could climb it by progressively backing off the pedal as load became greater than the engine could handle.

Again, my intent was to discuss generic HST OPERATION, not performance of any Kioti, or JD, or ... HST in high range. I have used a CK30 so I know what you related regarding H and M gear spacing. There is total agreement.

The basis of entering the HST discussion was the number of entries I have found among all brands regarding stated or implied language similar to "...I pushed the gas (hst pedal) to the floor and it still would not go up the hill..." I apologize to all if I failed to make my points.

/ Is this normal? #23  
Don't do that! I have a CK30HST. When it was new, H was only for LEVEL ground. And then sometimes everything chattered. Too much strain on everything, I didn't try small hills again for a hundred hours running time. Now with 200, H does more, but still rarely used.

Mike

/ Is this normal?
Not trying to be smart, but did you say you pressing in the CLUTCH in the original post? I'm not familiar with HST's having clutches. Otherwise, I'm with the rest on here in that I use H for road gear only.

And much congrats on the new tractor. Don't be surprised if the hours add up much quicker than you intended. :)

As usual I got behind on some of the postings. Something that this senior, senile citizen has to get better with. On the next to last page (15.2) of Kioti CK 27 owner's manual they do refer to it as a Clutch to place it in the desired range, and also when starting it up. That got my attention too!

Have about 7 hours on it now. Put about a hour on it making rounds an doing a bit of road work today. In the 50's today in Central Pa. so it was a joy to take it for a ride. Tried more rpm's around 2200-2300. Tried a few of the different suggestions when using H range which all results the same. When it has decided it can't make it - It Stops. There's no need for me to win the honor of having the best lean, mean, screaming machine in the Dealers repair shop. :eek:

No problem as from your report as with most of the others this is Normal and I can accept that. Thank you very much!

/ Is this normal?
In picture 3, you should be able to go up in high but as mentioned, try 2,500 rpm and slowly depressing the pedal. Picture 4, definately no high range for that grade or you have a turbo CK27. .................................................

Was out today, with temps in 50's today in Central Pa. Snow mostly gone on the south side of power line where photo was taken. Pretty much as I thought - much mud, more like grease. I believe when it dries out I should be able to make it in L.

It should handle the Snow plowing & Wood gathering. In this Greasy Mud, I don't believe Ag w/chains or R4 will work. I concur and thank you for your input. KK

/ Is this normal? #27  
As usual I got behind on some of the postings. Something that this senior, senile citizen has to get better with. On the next to last page (15.2) of Kioti CK 27 owner's manual they do refer to it as a Clutch to place it in the desired range, and also when starting it up. That got my attention too!

Have about 7 hours on it now. Put about a hour on it making rounds an doing a bit of road work today. In the 50's today in Central Pa. so it was a joy to take it for a ride. Tried more rpm's around 2200-2300. Tried a few of the different suggestions when using H range which all results the same. When it has decided it can't make it - It Stops. There's no need for me to win the honor of having the best lean, mean, screaming machine in the Dealers repair shop. :eek:

No problem as from your report as with most of the others this is Normal and I can accept that. Thank you very much!

I was wrong assuming all HST Kioti's are the same. My DK doesn't have a clutch but the CK's do apparently. I've learned something, which is what this site is all about. Thanks to all.

/ Is this normal? #28  
Nice tractor! Where did you get your plow/blade?
As to H I look at it as H is for home- as in going home on level ground with some or no load other then the tractor and any implements on at the time. M is for moving in most cases and is a safe gear to be in for most operations. L is for low and is good for things that M is too high for. Going up hill as I often do with my DK -35se/hst is somewhat of a pain. It would be nice to be able to shift on the fly when trying to gain momentum uphill but don't try it- the hst's are not made to syncromesh on hills or anywhere else. Pick a gear range and stick with it or come to a stop and shift to a different gear.
Through reading of the manual is worthwhile for some items and not so much for others.

/ Is this normal? #29  
I don't believe anyone has touched on the fact that most if not all hydrostats have a relief valve to protect the drive train. Going up a hill in high range, or any overload in any gear for that matter, will bypass fluid thru the relief valve. Another example of where the relief bypass comes into play is shifting the hst to neutral or even reversing before the tractor has come to a stop. This again avoids damage to the drivetrain by "cushioning" any abrupt change in speed or direction.
Newer tractors may also have electronic or hydraulic safeguards that I'm not aware of to achieve some of the above.

/ Is this normal? #30  
To be sure I do not further confuse readers, I might add that my B7510 would probably not climb the pictured hill with the backhoe and a full bucket of dirt if I kept the HST pedal pushed to the floor. Your B7610, with more horsepower, might well have done so, but I could climb it by progressively backing off the pedal as load became greater than the engine could handle.

Again, my intent was to discuss generic HST OPERATION, not performance of any Kioti, or JD, or ... HST in high range. I have used a CK30 so I know what you related regarding H and M gear spacing. There is total agreement.

The basis of entering the HST discussion was the number of entries I have found among all brands regarding stated or implied language similar to "...I pushed the gas (hst pedal) to the floor and it still would not go up the hill..." I apologize to all if I failed to make my points.

No, Kubie, I wasn't busting you. Hope you didn't take it that way. Though I'm glad you made the clarification with the HSD pedal pressure. It's not a gas pedal.

I just wanted the poster to be helped by expressing that two HSD high ranges and 2 separate tractors may/may not be equal. (for power/speed usage) The B7510/7610 have a lot of HP per weight ratio, where the CK27 is more than twice the weight of the B7610, but only has 3 more HP. The DK35se is 2.5 times the weight of the B7610, with 14 more HP, not 2.5 times the HP however.
When I had my 7610 I always felt it needed a med gear right smack in the middle of L & H. Now with the DK35se, I would've preferred the med gear to be geared higher.

I was unable to, but the best advice I can give is to see if you can demo the tractor on a property similar to your own, or better yet, demo on your own property, if possible. Then you'd know for sure.