Is this normal?

/ Is this normal? #1  

esz

Tractor
Kubota L2550DT Kubota BX2200D Branson 2515H
The FEL on my new 2515H (less than 50 hours) will not stay up with the engine off. If it has a load on it, it will drop to the ground overnight. I just tested it with an empty bucket; it dropped 12" in five hours. I cannot see any leaks. My last tractor would stay where I left it. It's a PITA to take it in for service so wanted some opinions first.

Last edited:
   / Is this normal? #2  
Almost all hydraulic valves have a leak rate. Many of the less expensive do not have load checks in the valves. Leaking down is considered "normal;"

/ Is this normal? #3  
My 4820 loader won't sink after weeks... Your mileage may vary

/ Is this normal? #4  
I guess I was trained to put equipment to 'bed' at the end of the day. Part of that is to drop the FEL and 3pt.

It doesn't sound like a major problem, but you may want to investigate some troubleshooting for that.

/ Is this normal? #5  
The phenomenon is normal. Yours (36" in 5 hours) seems a bit more extreme than what I've experienced, though. I'd expect that in a couple of days.

I've learned to drop the loader to the groud and release the 3PH when leaving by 4225h overnight, and I've seen it sink when I've left it during the day for a few hours. I apparently have yet to learn to also think about the bucket curl, however. Just a few weeks ago, I left a handful of carriage bolts and nuts safely captive in a turned up bucket. And parked overnight on a bit of a hill, dropping the loader arms to the ground but keeping the bucket slightly tilted up. Only to come back days later with the bucket curled down, the bolts and nuts spilled and some rolled down the hill....

/ Is this normal?
I guess I was trained to put equipment to 'bed' at the end of the day. Part of that is to drop the FEL and 3pt.

It doesn't sound like a major problem, but you may want to investigate some troubleshooting for that.
I also do this, but in one case I was working on a snow plow blade on the bucket forks. After paint, I left it for a few hours; when I came back for the second coat, it was on the ground.

Sounds like this is a non-issue; thanks for the comments.

/ Is this normal? #7  
Put the loader on the floor and don't give it a second thought. I've never checked mine and never plan to.

/ Is this normal? #8  
You could go around and make sure every hose connections are tight, being this new you never know, often the manufacture forget to tight one or two, but like everybody said yes its is normal top a point, that's one of the reason mechanic install bucket stand or jack stand when going under any hydraulic driven components.

Last edited:
   / Is this normal? #9  
Surely I'm not the only one that thinks it's an awful lot leak down.

Yes, leak down is normal to a point but this is quite extreme in my opinion. I can leave my backhoe in the air with one of the cheapest valves on the market and it will only leak down maybe 3" in 12 hours. Even my hydraulic top link with a slow leak on the rod seal will leak down a minimal amount in 12+ hours.

Since there isn't really a good standard as to how much it "can" leak down, I suspect the dealer will try to get away from it regardless.

I agree that the implements should be lowered to the ground but some times work dictates the need to have the loader raised for some reason, even to be used as a bench.

/ Is this normal? #10  
Surely I'm not the only one that thinks it's an awful lot leak down.

Yes, leak down is normal to a point but this is quite extreme in my opinion. I can leave my backhoe in the air with one of the cheapest valves on the market and it will only leak down maybe 3" in 12 hours. Even my hydraulic top link with a slow leak on the rod seal will leak down a minimal amount in 12+ hours.

Since there isn't really a good standard as to how much it "can" leak down, I suspect the dealer will try to get away from it regardless.

I agree that the implements should be lowered to the ground but some times work dictates the need to have the loader raised for some reason, even to be used as a bench.
what would be the cause in your opinion ? it has to be the control valve if there is no external leak ?