Is this tractor trashed or am I being too picky?

/ Is this tractor trashed or am I being too picky? #1  

BlaisePascal

Tractor
John Deere 5105
Hi,

I drove to check out a Branson 4720h that has just a couple hundred hours on it. I was ready to fall in love, but I was surprised at how beat
up it looks. However, I don't know if I'm being too picky, since I haven't shopped for used tractors before. My current tractor (JD 5105) came with the house and land a few years ago.

Here are the issues that I found after going through the checklist that I posted here.

* The hydrostatic transmission needs to be adjusted. The tractor continues to move after releasing the forward or reverse pedals. I had to tap the other pedal to get it to stop; using the brakes wasn't sufficient.

* The hydro whined when using medium or high range (it was 40 degrees F outside). When starting to move on level ground in high range at idle speed, the hydro chattered and whined and the tractor stalled. It didn't stall at higher rpm, but still whined.

* The front end of the tractor and the FEL are pretty beat up. The bar that runs across the bucket width behind the bucket looks like it was broken and rewelded in the middle.
20181015_092444.jpg

*Everything on the FEL seems straight and in line. The tractor nose guard is bent where it attaches to the tractor.
20181015_092435.jpg

* The dealer reported a 5 or 6 drip oil leak and said, "Our Service Mgr. said it is the oil filter base/housing that is bolted to the block. He said it is easily accessible and should be a simple job." It wasn't leaking today, but they said that would fix it anyway.

* Other minor problems are a rip in the seat, the PTO shield is bent, and the 3 pt. top link is missing.
20181015_092642.jpg

* Does the FEL look like it has been properly lubricated?
20181015_092536.jpg

20181015_092425.jpg

* Is this much dirt and grime around the headlights normal? A seal on the bottom of the hood was hanging loose, so I wonder if too much dust got into it.
20181015_092616.jpg

The tractor started fine every time except once. That time it started after turning the PTO switch on and off. I hadn't touched the PTO switch up to that point.

The FEL and front wheels didn't have noticeable play in the them. The FEL, 3 pt. hitch and PTO all moved as expected, although the dealer didn't have any load that I could pick up with the FEL or equipment that I could attach to the 3 pt. hitch. They sell much bigger tractors.

I didn't notice any leaks. The air filter and radiator were dirty, but not clogged. The oil level was good and there was no froth on the stick after running the tractor. There was no battery corrosion. I didn't notice any smoke when starting the engine.

The brakes seemed okay: the engine did stall when I tried to move while holding the brakes. All three HST ranges worked, including reverse. There wasn't noticeable slop in the steering wheel. The emissions light blinked, but not every time that I started it.

Here are a few more photos.
20181015_092628.jpg

20181015_092850.jpg

20181015_092902.jpg

View attachment 574873

So in addition to your thoughts on the individual issues above, I'd also appreciate your overall assessment. It this normal wear and tear for a tractor with a couple hundred hours, or was this tractor used too hard and should be avoided?

Thanks!

/ Is this tractor trashed or am I being too picky? #2  
JMHO - whether you are too picky or not - - finding that many items of concern to you on the tractor - - you will most likely never be satisfied if you purchase it. My suggestion - - move on.

/ Is this tractor trashed or am I being too picky? #3  
I would say the owner abused it only having a couple of hundred hours on it and it look like it does. I would move on to look at something that was taken care of..

/ Is this tractor trashed or am I being too picky? #4  
Agree, a lot of wear in a short time. Only way I would want it, a very low price, dealer to repair items, including welding the bar on the front, cleaning it up and painting the bar. I don't think you could get that tractor to smoke with the DTF filter on it. If the dealer will give you a 6 month warranty on every thing, front to back. And there is still factory powertrain warranty for at least 2 years.
For some of us there is always a price, but a lot of us can work on our own equipment.
At my age and ability, I would most likely walk.

/ Is this tractor trashed or am I being too picky? #5  
DPF not DTF, sorry.
There is a branson dealer in Wedowee, Huddleston Equipment. They may be able to look up some history on it. If they had been closer, that is the model tractor I would have been looking at.

/ Is this tractor trashed or am I being too picky? #6  
From the looks of it, it looked like it was rammed into something, either by accident or with neglect. The back looks like the PTO was never used (cover still on & too clean)

My tractor is at 325 hrs and it’s cleaner than this with a bit extra grease at the pins but it’s not a deal breaker if it’s still tight. Maybe you could ask to pull out one pin to inspect?

I’d ask for a 6 month warranty on the engine, pumps & tranny this if you still want to pursue.

/ Is this tractor trashed or am I being too picky?
Thanks for the replies.

Do any of the individual issues concern anyone?

If it's just high wear and tear, but everything is solid or fixable, then maybe I should get it if the price is right. But what is a good price?

Thanks.

/ Is this tractor trashed or am I being too picky? #8  
If I,I would look else where, to many questions marks.

/ Is this tractor trashed or am I being too picky? #9  
It looks rough to me. With that much abuse to the outside, I have to wonder how it was used/abused internally and if it had regular maintenance. The price would have to be very low for me to consider it.

/ Is this tractor trashed or am I being too picky? #10  
It looks like that thing has been under water.... where is it from ? ... anywhere that was recently flooded ?