Is this tractor trashed or am I being too picky?

/ Is this tractor trashed or am I being too picky? #41  
not to be rude - my question is - your looking at a low priced 47 hp hydro drive tractor , what do you expect ? if it was 1 of the big 3 47 hp with that low hours and hydro drive you would pay almost double ! not to bash the tractor [ that's against the rules ] but it is a less expensive to start tractor - do you think it will be as heavy duty as other more expensive brands. that's a lot of tractor -[47 hp - hydro drive ] for the money !

Branson tractors are actually heavier duty than the expensive brands and are built to last. They can stand abuse.

The tractor doesn't look that bad apart from the front. Seems to me that it was used by an inexperienced operator to load a dump truck or something. Which would explain the smashed front. People sometimes forget that the hydro will help stopping the tractor but they still need to use the brakes in some cases.

Honestly if the price is right, I would consider get it. But again, it's me and I could easily fix that stuff in the front.

/ Is this tractor trashed or am I being too picky? #42  
It this normal wear and tear for a tractor with a couple hundred hours, or was this tractor used too hard and should be avoided?[/B]

Thanks!

If your idea of fun is a nasty nagging shrew of a wife who constantly beats you over the head with a rolling pin, kicks you in the nuts, calls you names and keeps taking all your money away from you then go for it.

I stopped looking at your photos after I saw the loader cross tube weld repair job. Last owner ran out of duct tape?

/ Is this tractor trashed or am I being too picky? #44  
I don't see anything major wrong with that unit visually.
The weld needs to be ground down / out and redone, that would be a couple of hours work.
As far as hydro whine I haven't run any hydros since we retired our IH 656 hydro except for lawn mowers and all of them whine,
As far as the hydraulics and hydro not knowing how it was maintained and run I would want the fluid and filters changed and I know some of the Bransons have suction screens in the sumps and magnetic plugs, some require / recommend a change out and cleaning of screens at 50 Hrs and then periodically after that.
I'd either have the dealer so those items or bring the price down with me doing.
Any time you buy used you are taking a chance, even with new there is a chance of issues.
Just look at all the problems some members have had with new units and trying to get them corrected under warranty.
Some dealers will offer a parts only limited warranty on equipment that will be out of their service area.
It could be a decent tractor for the price or it could bite but everything is a chance and a choice.

/ Is this tractor trashed or am I being too picky? #45  
I would want the fluid and filters changed and I know some of the Bransons have suction screens in the sumps and magnetic plugs, some require / recommend a change out and cleaning of screens at 50 Hrs and then periodically after that.
I'd either have the dealer so those items or bring the price down with me doing.
Some dealers will offer a parts only limited warranty on equipment that will be out of their service area.
It could be a decent tractor for the price or it could bite but everything is a chance and a choice.

Understood, if dealer was 30 minutes down the road, this might be an option.

You think that dealer is going to change any fluids, filters, maintenance at all? Or just TELL you they just been completed.

****, they wouldn't even wash it before posting on Tractorhouse. :thumbdown:

/ Is this tractor trashed or am I being too picky? #46  
In real estate it's location, location, location. In used tractors it's condition, condition, condition. For that much to have been damaged in such a short time, no way do you want anything to do with that sucker.

/ Is this tractor trashed or am I being too picky? #47  
I'm going all the way back to the OP's original post and still trying to figure out why anyone who currently has a John Deere 5105 would be looking at a very similar sized Branson? Are you going to replace the JD with the Branson? Is there something that you don't like about the JD? And is so, what is better about the Branson?
rScotty

I still wonder about my question above....but I can't help weighing in on the condition of the Branson and what - if anything - it might mean. To the OP who is apparently wondering just what those damaged parts indicate, I agree that those particular pieces don't mean much and are easily fixed. But I think what puts a lot of us off is that when a low hour machine has been treated like that on the parts that you can see, we have got to wonder just how the owner treated the more important things that we can't see so easily. That would worry me.

As to just what the creeping, stalling, clattering !!!?, and whining of the Branson HST means mechanically.... I'm mystified. Maybe those HST characteristics are normal for that model Branson - as some have said here. I wouldn't know because there aren't any Bransons around here that I've seen. So I've never seen nor used one.
I can say that those things wouldn't be normal in the Kubota of the same size that I use a lot. Oh, I can get that one to whine if I take off in too high a range, but it shuts up if I just let up on the pedal a little. The clattering and creeping would sure worry me if mine did that.

The Kubota won't stall under any condition, but that doesn't really tell us anything about the Branson. It just means that this Kubota has auto-throttle and more computers onboard - which are just more sophisticated (and probably more expensive) ways to control the interaction between the throttle and the HST transmission.

So what are you going to do?
rScotty

/ Is this tractor trashed or am I being too picky?
I'm going all the way back to the OP's original post and still trying to figure out why anyone who currently has a John Deere 5105 would be looking at a very similar sized Branson? Are you going to replace the JD with the Branson? Is there something that you don't like about the JD? And is so, what is better about the Branson?
rScotty

Good question. :) I think I need a 4WD tractor with FEL and HST to help my aging back and left knee.

No offense to the Greenaholics on the board, but from all I've read here, the off brands may be about as good. My JD hasn't been a treat. Last year at about 200 hours, I had to spend $1,000 to replace a fuel injector and a sending unit (I think).

OT, "Rural mountains - Colorado"? Ooooo, I'm jealous!

/ Is this tractor trashed or am I being too picky?
Looking at the pictures you posted and the ones at the dealer, I'd guess it was owned by someone who did construction work and had several folks operating it at various times. That loader bucket does not represent a bucket owned by someone who purchased a new tractor to use on his property for several years. You circled the grill guard on the left side. The right side looks just as bad, if not worse! Those same operators used the tractor for pushing something, that's why it's bent.

As mentioned, the torque tube being repaired is caused by a latch not being locked in and staying locked in. A somewhat common problem with SSQT. However, the way it was repaired once again tells me it's someone who doesn't really care how it's repaired. Just fix it and let's get to work.

I don't care if the guy would sell it for 10K I would not be interested. Too far away to get any help later. No matter what the dealer says, it's basically "as is-where is". You could end up after a few hours use with repair cost you can't imagine. The internals have received the same consideration from the owner as the parts you can see!

Didn't you say you wanted something to make life easier? Quit hoping you found a good deal. Find something close to home, and take your time looking.

Yeah, I think you've summed it up pretty well for me here. Well stated.

If I could do more of my own repairs or was closer to a Branson dealer, it might make sense if they came down more on the price. But I can't, and I'm not.

/ Is this tractor trashed or am I being too picky? #50  
I can't help but wonder how all that dirt got inside the headlight housing?