Iseki steering column/wheel

/ Iseki steering column/wheel #1  

Marcle

Silver Member
Herefordshire/Gloucestershire boarders UK
Tractor
Iseki 2140
Hi Guy's,

Clearly these lovely tractors are designed for little people!

Yesterday I fitted a new 'sprung' seat to my TX2140 which is about 6-8" higher than the original. Having the seat higher than original was done on purpose as (being a tall guy) my knees were up by my ears (just kidding) and I was unable to control the clutch peddle correctly. Before fitting the new seat, I used to sit on the back of the original, not comfortable!

The result of the raised seat is that the steering wheel is rather low compared to the seat, well they're almost at the same height!

Somewhere I saw a post about putting spacers under the steering box to raise the steering wheel, but unable to find that post now. This idea seems fine, however my quick observation of this idea is that the fuel tank will be in the way, so wanted to take another look at the lost post. Another idea I've got is to make an adaptor for the steering wheel to raise it above the steering column, but I was wondering if anyone knows what cars the Iseki steering wheel splines (I assume its on splines) are common with, as I could get a standard steering wheel hub adaptor from a shop and make a new spacer. I have a Suzuki 4x4 wheel somewhere I will try (both being from the same country of origin, I think). If a stock hub is not possible, I'll have to cop the original wheel about for the splines and use a new wheel.

Does anyone have any experience on raising the height of the steering wheel please?

A knock on effect of the new seat is that my backhoe/back actor seat fouls on the new seat, so I've had to make nw brackets for that as well, hey hoo...

/ Iseki steering column/wheel #2  
I would shy away from trying to raise the steering gear box with spacers (even though apparently someone else has done it) as this alters the geometry of the drag link to the front axle and may create wear/operational issues. If you only needed to raise it an inch or so that might be ok, but 6-8" would be obscure and possibly impractical as you eluded to. It would be possible to extend the shaft and column, but to do it correctly will require machine shop services and will be pricey if you don't have your own personal access to them to avoid paying commercial rates. Sorry to sound negative and not have a good solution, I just would hate to see you head down the wrong path. I've done it too many times myself and wished someone would have said something before I wasted a lot of time and money on a difficult task.

/ Iseki steering column/wheel #3  
The steering wheel is a 36 spline, and I believe that it is 15.5 inches, or 39.37cm. This is the replacement steering wheel that will work and its located in the UK: Yanmar Steering Wheel w/cap YM195 240 1500 1500D | eBay

I would imagine that you may be able to add an extension to the top where the steering wheel mounts, however it may have to be manufactured. Do you have a photo of the seat? I want to install a suspension seat on my tractor, because I really feel every bump, and I am usually working on my tractor every day. I bet you could have your original steering colom/shaft where the wheel attaches cut, and have an extention pole put in place, and welded to extent the height. Ilikeurtractor is right, and you probably should not modify the location of the steering box. The steering wheel that I linked to is actually pretty inexpensive, and I installed almost this identical one on my tractor and it works flawlessly. How is the tractor working out for you so far? Have you been able to start your garden, I know that you were working on it with your tiller. This is a photo of a TX1300/1500 wheel spline. I bet you could have an extension built that would attach with a bolt to the original bolt location. Ilikeurtractor is correct that it may be expensive, however you be able to find a service garage that will weld it for a reasonable rate. I hope that it works out for you! Keep us updated..

272547d1341767275-iseki-steering-column-wheel-wheel.jpg

/ Iseki steering column/wheel
Hi Guys,

I've given up on 'packing' the steering box as it will upset the geometry too much.

I was going to pull the wheel off today, but too busy doing other things. I'll keep you posted on this mod.

Going back to the seat for a moment, I will post some photos when its complete as I need to do some more mods to the back actor seat as its mounts prevent the driver seat going back far enough. I also found I need to make the foot plates bigger to make it safer getting on and off the tractor.

Thanks.