Issue refilling a Lincoln grease gun

/ Issue refilling a Lincoln grease gun #1  

CalG

Tractor
Hurlimann 435, Fordson E27n, Bolens HT-23, Kubota B7200
Ive got a great Lincoln grease gun, but .....

When replacing the tube refill, the piston seal will not pass the cardboard tube entrance. I've tried Manipulating the spring/rod over and over, but can not get the piston to make the jump. No piston pressure, no grease coming out the business end.

I end up pushing the grease out of the refill tube and into the gun tube with a turned up plug and a broom handle. Messy!

I don't have a tub pump, and don't really want one to refill by way of the fitting.

Is there a way around this?

/ Issue refilling a Lincoln grease gun #4  
I've never had problems with any of my manual grease guns. But then - I bought a battery powered DeWalt grease gun. Could not get the plunger to go down the new tube and push the grease.

AH - HA ..... then I found the pressure relief fitting on the grease gun. Open this fitting - release the air pressure ahead of the grease - the plunger goes down the tube - all is well.

It was probably covered in the Owners Manual - but, who ever reads those things.

/ Issue refilling a Lincoln grease gun #5  
Interesting. I have a Lincoln as well and have had the same issue a couple of times but usually I can get it to work. My problem is now the grease is bypassing the seal and getting behind the plunger so when I pull the plunger back grease shoots out of the shaft hole. Probably half the tube. I'm now using my Dad's last "old" grease gun. I have a Milwaukee I guess I'll have to break out.

/ Issue refilling a Lincoln grease gun
Interesting. I have a Lincoln as well and have had the same issue a couple of times but usually I can get it to work. My problem is now the grease is bypassing the seal and getting behind the plunger so when I pull the plunger back grease shoots out of the shaft hole. Probably half the tube. I'm now using my Dad's last "old" grease gun. I have a Milwaukee I guess I'll have to break out.
I've got one gun that leaks past the plunger seal. I store that one with the spring guide retraction rod pulled out. 'saves a lot of grief/grease. ;-)