Issues already? New mx5400 steering issue.

/ Issues already? New mx5400 steering issue.
Am I the only one that find odd that the OP's tractor can't even steer to full lock with barely a full bucket of loose dirt on a packed surface? Is that really normal steering operation for Kubota tractors? I mean, if it was sitting on loose ground, I would give the benefit of the doubt but that's not the case.

The only time my tractor wouldn't steer with a bucket full of dirt (including the heap), was because left wheel was sitting on the bottom of a furrow and couldn't physically turn left or right, otherwise it will just turn easily, with the tractor not moving.

Also, with the amount of money you guys in the US pay for PDI, I would at least expect grease on all the fittings.
I feel the same way. Is the tractor really not supposed to be able to turn to full lock with a loaded bucket?

/ Issues already? New mx5400 steering issue. #32  
I feel the same way. Is the tractor really not supposed to be able to turn to full lock with a loaded bucket?
I would expect it to be able to steer with a simple bucket fully loaded of dirt or something. Now, if you were maxing out the loader capacity, then yes, I wouldn't expect it to steer much but a simple bucket full of dirt is nothing for a tractor the size of the MX.

I would expect it to be able to steer with a simple bucket fully loaded of dirt or something. Now, if you were maxing out the loader capacity, then yes, I wouldn't expect it to steer much but a simple bucket full of dirt is nothing for a tractor the size of the MX.
Yeah. Don’t know what qualifies as maxing out unfortunately. That load is easily lifted if that helps.

/ Issues already? New mx5400 steering issue. #34  
Except the broken zerk, your fit and finish issues are "normal". Back those lockouts off some leaving just a couple threads beyond the nylon. I'll check my mx4800, but if you can easily lift a load, you should be able to steer well. Do you have some rear weight on the tractor? It will perform better if you do. You cannot expect that tractor to lift a full pallet of bricks. Bricks are heavy. I have pallets of retaining wall block at 2200 lbs and it can lift it, but it is really hard on the equipment. I have pallets of paving stones that it simply won't get more than an inch off the ground and it feels like the axle might break! But at those weights, it will steer. I'd have the steering looked at most likely.

In normal operation, the steering only takes one finger. Its real light.

I'll see if I can load up some 3/8 gravel and replicate your issue. You video would have been better showing the tractor lift the load instead of starting with the bucket full. If would give us an idea of the weight.

Except the broken zerk, your fit and finish issues are "normal". Back those lockouts off some leaving just a couple threads beyond the nylon. I'll check my mx4800, but if you can easily lift a load, you should be able to steer well. Do you have some rear weight on the tractor? It will perform better if you do. You cannot expect that tractor to lift a full pallet of bricks. Bricks are heavy. I have pallets of retaining wall block at 2200 lbs and it can lift it, but it is really hard on the equipment. I have pallets of paving stones that it simply won't get more than an inch off the ground and it feels like the axle might break! But at those weights, it will steer. I'd have the steering looked at most likely.

In normal operation, the steering only takes one finger. Its real light.

I'll see if I can load up some 3/8 gravel and replicate your issue. You video would have been better showing the tractor lift the load instead of starting with the bucket full. If would give us an idea of the weight.
Didn’t know about the bolts. I’ve set them back the way they came. Either way, my point with the back story was just to give context on why I’m paranoid. That’s all.

I’m not lifting a full pallet of bricks. The mx wouldn’t event be able to tilt that much less lift it. I’m splitting pallets into 3rds roughly 5-6 stacks high. It was light enough for the loader to lift up above the hood and tilt fully without issue. It didn’t seem like a heavy load. I basically loaded it until it felt bouncy and then took a full row of bricks off. Never came close to maxing out the hydraulics.

I have rim guard ballast in the rear tires. I also keep the box blade attached.

The bucket load is shown in the video. It’s crush n run if that helps. Roughly 3/4 full. No struggling lifting or tilting the bucket with that much in it. This was in the middle of me moving some to spread spots the trucks missed on my driveway.

I don’t know what to think. I’ve had other people who own the same tractor tell me this is absolutely not normal. Sounds like most are suggesting to get the dealer to take a look, so I’ll get them out here tomorrow

Thanks!

Last edited:
   / Issues already? New mx5400 steering issue. #36  
I guess maybe have the steering checked out??? But I never try and turn knock to knock with a full load. Why? Not very productive at all. Start moving and turning at the same time.

/ Issues already? New mx5400 steering issue. #37  
Have double checked all the hydraulic fluid levels? Hydraulic can go do some after delivery and use. Especially if you attached other attachments.

While your at it, double check all the fluids. Don't forget the front axle.

I guess maybe have the steering checked out??? But I never try and turn knock to knock with a full load. Why? Not very productive at all. Start moving and turning at the same time.
I noticed it when I couldn’t back up around a corner. It does it when moving at slow speeds as well and in the brush with no load. It's just easier to demonstrate with the tractor stopped.

Last edited:
   / Issues already? New mx5400 steering issue. #39  
There might be a steering or low hyd fluid issue here but set that aside for a moment. Also, check your front 4WD axle since they all need SUDT added.

Now, even if the dealer did everything right by farmer terms, I think they fail to understand the Kubota buyer. They are smarter, better heeled, more demanding, less forgiving and often know more about the product than the dealer. They don't want second best and don't mind spending for what they want but want quality above all else.

So, the dealer that delivers a tractor with a broken zerk and no extra grease might be OK for a farmer buyer since they know the drill. But the Kubota buyer didn't really sign up for that and doesn't like it. A saw a dealer years back smirk and chuckle in front of a $40,000 upscale Kubota buyer because they asked a newbie question. I recall thinking how disrespectful that was and was embarrassed for the man.

Well, that dealer is out of business and the people that bought it jump through hoops for buyers, especially Kubota people. I ordered a $6 part that I kind of needed soon but was a week away. Without me asking, the dealer got it somehow and called the next day to say it was in. That's understanding Kubota people.

My new things come through with visible grease on the fittings and I know they left it that way on purpose.

Last edited:
There might be a steering or low hyd fluid issue here but set that aside for a moment. Also, check your front 4WD axle since they all need SUDT added.

Now, even if the dealer did everything right by farmer terms, I think they fail to understand the Kubota buyer. They are smarter, better heeled, more demanding, less forgiving and often know more about the product than the dealer. They don't want second best and don't mind spending for what they want but want quality above all else.

So, the dealer that delivers a tractor with a broken jerk and no extra grease might be OK for a farmer buyer since they know the drill. But the Kubota buyer didn't really sign up for that and doesn't like it. A saw a dealer years back smirk and chuckle in front of a $40,000 upscale Kubota buyer because they asked a newbie question. I recall thinking how disrespectful that was and was embarrassed for the man.

Well, that dealer is out of business and the people that bought it jump through hoops for buyers, especially Kubota people. I ordered a $6 part that I kind of needed soon but was a week away. Without me asking, the dealer got it somehow and called the next day to say it was in. That's understanding Kubota people.

My new things come through with visible grease on the fittings and I know they left it that way on purpose.
Thanks for the suggestion. I’ll check the axle fluid as well. Agreed on other topics. This is my situation exactly. New owner. Had a large project this week and ended up buying kubota b/c I didn't want to be dealing with issues while trying to get the work done.

Last edited: