It's Logging Season-Northeast

/ It's Logging Season-Northeast #11  
I have a well used Norse 450 ;probably 15-20 y.o.
It has paid for itself many times over with the saw timber and pulp I have pulled out in the 3 years that I have owned it.
Other than operator error [tangled cable insanity] it has not had any mechanical issues and it has been worked hard.

/ It's Logging Season-Northeast #12  
I just posted a build thread of an old wrecker winch I put on the 3 point and run it off the PTO, it works very well, cheap and easy to build into what I wanted/needed
My father started to build one when he bought his first Kubota about 45 years ago... the winch is still down in the garage where he put it after buying a Farmi that same year. The drawback is that they are s-l-o-w compared to a 3pth winch. (It's the same with electric, or the multi mile hydraulic units.) If you aren't cutting a lot of wood, or have a big enough machine to bring out a cord at a time that's fine. Or if it's all that you have... one fall I brought out 8 cords of fir studwood with just a chain and drawbar. It was slow but did work... I made enough money to buy a used Farmi. 👍 But for working wood up with a tractor on a regular basis, a 3 pth is the way to go.

/ It's Logging Season-Northeast #13  
What have you guys built to skid logs out?
I have heard of more problems with Farmi-style rigs, and I'm looking for simple rigs that just plain work for a part time logger. 192.168.100.1 192.168.1.1
Bonus for photos...
Other than the opportunity to do something really stupid and have it go very wrong very fast all I hear is they're a very effective and a relatively inexpensive tool that seems to keep their value for a long time.

Last edited:
   / It's Logging Season-Northeast #14  
For non production just skidding some firewood, I have done good with a draw bar and chain also.

Somewhere on here, someone built a skid apparatus from a 3 PT mounted receiver hitch thing, used chains and hooks simple effective thing.

I am very careful with tractors in the woods skidding, tractors just lack the guarding for themselves or operators like rusty irons sweeps and extra bars around the operators station on the kubota, those are not factory options, Which translates to slow, head on a swivel going. But still manage to skid enough wood to make it worth while.

/ It's Logging Season-Northeast #15  
I use chains and tractor draw bar also.. Not much of a problem if you are paying attention..... Most dangerous thing about logging and firewood is log splitter.....

/ It's Logging Season-Northeast #16  
Most dangerous thing about logging and firewood is log splitter....
The slowest and dullest tool is the most dangerous? I think it's more than likely the chainsaw..because when things go wrong with one of them you can die. Not many people dieing from a standard log splitter.

/ It's Logging Season-Northeast #17  
I think it's more than likely the chainsaw.
I have to agree with this. I cringe when I see people out cutting with shorts and tee shirt. Then again I go to the other extreme... when I'm cutting it's kevlar boots with safety toes, hard hat with hearing and eye protection, and chaps. I won't even start a saw without the last three... sometimes it takes longer to get geared up than to cut a tree out of the road. If I'm going to be running the saw all day I also wear ear plugs under the muffs.

/ It's Logging Season-Northeast #19  
I built a log arch many years ago, and used it behind a small Case tractor to move a lot of wood. I put a hand winch on the front of it with a pulley directly over the axles in order to winch and lift the logs off the ground. It had a chain to secure the log for transit to take the load off the winch itself.
The winch was a cheap harbor freight version which broke after a fair bit of use.

I no longer use the arch. It worked well for what it was, but there are much better ways.

Since then I bought a used logging grapple for less than I could possibly build one for.
I think a good alternative to a full blown logging grapple, would be a simple 3 point frame similar to mine, with just a set of logging tongs hanging from a chain.

BA6F791C-4FC2-4E5D-B383-D00AF61400DF.jpeg

6F4082EF-184F-42C4-9345-851CA9C2DBF8.jpeg

B94548AB-460B-4DA3-A00D-666CF0CF7517.jpeg

/ It's Logging Season-Northeast #20  
I have a wallenstein fx90 winch that is probably over 20 years old. use it all the time and never had a problem.
I also have an FX90, and before getting it, I skid for years with just a chain,

IMG-2296-S.jpg

BUT, once you spring for a skidding winch, you wonder why it wasn't bought long before... I even skid my deer out with mine,

Resized-20221120-180032-S.jpg

I don't even take it off my tractor, it's just that useful...

SR