JD 2210, Kubota BX23, or something else?

/ JD 2210, Kubota BX23, or something else? #1  

Anjou

Tractor
2007 John Deere 2305
I’m new to this forum so have mercy on me. I’m desperate for advice and the 0%/36 month financing deals are soon coming to an end, not to mention the grass already needs mowed. Keep in mind that I’m currently building a house and cost is a serious consideration. I’ve got 7 acres of land. 1.5 acres will be used for lawn and the rest will be used for sheep pasture (eventually, after I put up the fence and get the sheep /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif). All I’ve decided so far is that I need a 60” mid-mount mower. A FEL would certainly be handy for snow removal and manure management. Since the fence hasn’t been started, I’d like something that could handle a post-hole digger, but this is not a necessity as I could probably get one of my neighbors with the 50 HP Kubotas to dig the holes. A backhoe or tiller would also be nice, but again they are not necessities at this point. The terrain is difficult to describe, but basically I’ve got a hill that juts across the middle third with a 20% grade on both sides down to large flat areas. I’d guess 4WD is important in this situation and I strongly prefer a diesel engine, which use far less fuel and last a whole lot longer. I’ve been thinking about what to get for a while and it seems like either the JD 2210 or the Kubota BX23 would be good choices. I really can’t afford more than $15K on the initial purchase and that’s really stretching my finances. What advice do you’ns have for me. /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

Attachments

• 634263-100 dpi Southern View.jpg
    634263-100 dpi Southern View.jpg
    60.9 KB · Views: 479
   / JD 2210, Kubota BX23, or something else?
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( I’m new to this forum so have mercy on me. I’m desperate for advice and the 0%/36 month financing deals are soon coming to an end, not to mention the grass already needs mowed. Keep in mind that I’m currently building a house and cost is a serious consideration. I’ve got 7 acres of land. 1.5 acres will be used for lawn and the rest will be used for sheep pasture (eventually, after I put up the fence and get the sheep /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif). All I’ve decided so far is that I need a 60” mid-mount mower. A FEL would certainly be handy for snow removal and manure management. Since the fence hasn’t been started, I’d like something that could handle a post-hole digger, but this is not a necessity as I could probably get one of my neighbors with the 50 HP Kubotas to dig the holes. A backhoe or tiller would also be nice, but again they are not necessities at this point. The terrain is difficult to describe, but basically I’ve got a hill that juts across the middle third with a 20% grade on both sides down to large flat areas. I’d guess 4WD is important in this situation and I strongly prefer a diesel engine, which use far less fuel and last a whole lot longer. I’ve been thinking about what to get for a while and it seems like either the JD 2210 or the Kubota BX23 would be good choices. I really can’t afford more than $15K on the initial purchase and that’s really stretching my finances. What advice do you’ns have for me. /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

"With all these blessings, what more is necessary to make us a happy and a prosperous people? Still one thing more, fellow-citizens - a wise and frugal Government, which shall restrain men from injuring one another, shall leave them otherwise free to regulate their own pursuits of industry and improvement, and shall not take from the mouth of labor the bread it has earned. This is the sum of good government."

-Thomas Jefferson

/ JD 2210, Kubota BX23, or something else? #3  
hey welcome to TBN... the money it always an issue... and your notice here that alot of people can spend you money real easy! /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif to go towards a used machine may be tough to find... even used Sub Compacts hold there value for a while. Cub Cadet has a machine for 7k , but it has an air cooled gas motor, check out simplicity too. both have FEL and 4wd is an option but not standard like on the bota and deere cub and simplicity good luck, im sure some veterans will help u out more

/ JD 2210, Kubota BX23, or something else? #4  
Time for a decent reply? Here is one.

I have a 2210. I love it. When I was shopping, it was between this and the 4115 but I did not want to go higher off the ground (as I have many hills) and was worried about stability.
Four wheel drive is great. I have it in most of the time because it gives me piece of mind but when the ground is moist, it is better to make sharp turns in 2 wheel (rips up the lawn). The tractors between the 2210 and the 4115 don't have mowing deck height controls. The FEL on my 2210 does plenty of lifting and it never lets me down. I am always moving something: dirt, stone, crushed gravel, leaves... it is great. I plan to put the Woods Back Hoe on it eventually, as funds become available. I hear the post hole digger are iffy on the 2210 because of clearance but one thing I liked about the 2210 was the FEL will dig down 7" lower than the bigger brothers (because of the smaller tires), this was a big plus for me!

If I had a neighbor to assist with his tractor on occasion... I would have been more inclined to buy the 2210 as I would not require as many implements in the future.

/ JD 2210, Kubota BX23, or something else? #5  
Also,
The Deere have the quick change loader... what I mean is the bucket comes off the FEL with two easy pins. Then you can add forks and other items effortlessly. The Deere also have the easiest FEL to remove. It just requires pulling two pins and the FEL pulls it's self off with build-in rests (no rods or stands). The others are not nearly as simple.

The Loader Control Lever stays attached to the machine at all times too. This is great if you get the Front Blade or Snow Blower down the road. No adding levers here and there.

The 2210 is heavier than the BX23 and this is better for heavy work.

Please don't think I am biased towards GREEN but I have no regrets and only looked at each of the other brands until I saw how easy the Deere is to use.

One big factor is the dealers around you. If you only have a Kubota dealer near you, you may end up finding it much easier to go with them.
/forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

/ JD 2210, Kubota BX23, or something else? #6  
I purchased the BX23 2 months ago, was considering the 2210 but decided I really wanted the backhoe and the bx23 was least expensive one I could find ($15,000).

So far I have 60 hours on it and the only regret would be not purchasing it sooner, we just finished building our home in December and it would have been very handy.

Great landscaping machine, I have planted many trees, installed 300ft of french drains to fix water issues, removed many stumps, dug out dozens of rocks, graded and installed my yard, and has done a nice job of mowing with the 60" mower and power bagger setup. This machine is my new best friend, and a real back saver.

I like the 2210 as well but the 4 point BH was the deciding factor for me. There are lots of other larger machines with more ground clearance that you might want to consider depending on your land setup. Good luck!

/ JD 2210, Kubota BX23, or something else? #7  
You found yourself a pretty spot of land.

Your choices of machines to compare (SUBCUTS) sounds about right for your work, but you should go check them both and the respective dealers out. Spend a half hour with each machine. The answer to you question of which one MAY become obvious after you do this. If not, ask some more specific questions.

By the way, I believe there are people on this board who use post hole diggers with either machine. I know the 2210 can handle one and I think the BX does fine too.

In the meantime, use the search function and you will find lots of discussion comparing these two machines.

Good luck, and welcome to the board.
Cliff

/ JD 2210, Kubota BX23, or something else? #8  
I just noticed you posted a picture of your land, nice looking setup. Looks like you will be doing lots of mowing in the future, I take off the FEL and BH when I mow. They are a piece of cake to remove with no tools required. FYI, since you are just getting your home off the ground you might also want to checkout the gardenweb.com website which has a forum called "that home site" then look for the heading Building a Home. Lots of great info.

/ JD 2210, Kubota BX23, or something else?
We're only about 25 miles NW of Harrisburg, where I work, but the prices are much lower. It's actually part of a farm that was subdivided into 5-7 acre tracts. Several of my neighbors have horses. Unfortunately, the adjacent 7 acres to my West was sold recently. /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif I was hoping to acquire that too and use it for hay. Oh well, I can barely afford a subcut as it is.

Attachments

• 634374-100 dpi Western View.jpg
    634374-100 dpi Western View.jpg
    56.1 KB · Views: 218
   / JD 2210, Kubota BX23, or something else? #10  
Actually, the BX23 outweighs the 2210 by about 200 lbs. JD weighs their tractors with all fluids included, while Kubota weighs theirs dry.

These tractors are pretty darn compatible in terms of capability. What I don't like about the JD2210 is the way the FEL is plumbed because it leaves a 2 -3 ft. length of hoses exposed on the right side of the tractor to thievin' debris. 2210 owners may disagree that this is a problem (based on valuable experience which I don't have).

The big advantage of the JD is as mentioned -- the quick attach FEL bucket. Sure wish my Kubota had one. Pallet forks are a HUGE back saver.