JD 2350 hydraulic leak

/ JD 2350 hydraulic leak #1  

spurlocktool

Bronze Member
Tractor
Kubota BX1500, BX2230
A friend had a hydraulic leak on his 2350 and after removing the hood we discovered split/rotted small hoses running from what I assume is some sort of surge tank just behind the radiator. The tank is about 8" diameter or so and has a T fitting on top with barbed nipples where the two lines attach. One line runs down to a small nipple under the hydraulic pump, and the other runs back and Tees into a larger line behind the firewall. Neither line is reinforced and there were no clamps at the nipple connections, yet the lines appeared original and the tractor has been running fine for years. We replaced one hose with unreinforced hose as original, and cut out a bad section of the other. The leak started again after an hour or so of running and before tearing into it again I would like to get some idea of the purpose of the tank and the small lines. Presumably they must be very low pressure since they do not appear to have ever been clamped? And if so, could there be some other problem causing abnormally high pressure in those lines? Thanks for any clues, not having a manual for this tractor we are in the dark.

/ JD 2350 hydraulic leak
Thank you for that link beenthere, much appreciated. The hoses that failed were the little 3/8" lines #8 & 20 in the diagram. The T fitting on the tank where they attach appears to have a ball check valve built into it. The valve appears to let oil from the small lines flow into the tank when they reach a certain pressure, so that gives me a clue as to what might be happening. No hose clamps are shown on those small lines in the parts diagram, so they must normally be very low pressure.

/ JD 2350 hydraulic leak #5  
They are indeed low pressure. Almost nothing in fact. One goes to the shaft seal area case drain on the front of the hydraulic pump. the other goes along the top of the engine to a fitting on right front corner of the transmission shift cover. Rarely is there ever enough pressure to cause a leak unless the line slips off the fitting on the pump/ That will leak but only down in the front axle support area.

/ JD 2350 hydraulic leak
They are indeed low pressure. Almost nothing in fact. One goes to the shaft seal area case drain on the front of the hydraulic pump. the other goes along the top of the engine to a fitting on right front corner of the transmission shift cover. Rarely is there ever enough pressure to cause a leak unless the line slips off the fitting on the pump/ That will leak but only down in the front axle support area.
Many thanks Harry, that info is very helpful. I am thinking of a few possibilities:
Either the replacement hose we used was not oil proof and simply swelled and slipped off, or the hydraulic pump seal has failed and is letting high pressure enter the shaft seal hose, or the ball check valve is jammed shut and allowing higher than normal pressure to accumulate in these small lines. Thanks again to all and I will report back with findings.

/ JD 2350 hydraulic leak #7  
I've gone down to my local mechanic and bought bulk fuel line to replace those. Buying from JD would just be a waste of money. If leaking at the fitting the fitting maybe cracked or just use a small clamp if needed.

/ JD 2350 hydraulic leak
Update: The new leak was from the small hose going to the transmission case. We had not replaced that one before, foolishly hoping a halfway job would work. We've now replaced both hoses and added hose clamps at each end. Lesson learned - do it right and do it once. Thanks again everyone for the helpful info.