JD 3020 Diesel Starter spins but doesn't engage.

/ JD 3020 Diesel Starter spins but doesn't engage. #1  

MNBobcat

Platinum Member
I have a 3020 diesel. When I hit the starter button the starter will spin and sounds like it might be trying to engage the ring gear but doesn't. If I hit the button about 10 times it will suddenly turn over and start right up. I thought it might be the solenoid not pushing the drive gear forward but the dealer says if the starter spins the solenoid is fine. The teeth on the drive gear look fine. The ring gear looks fine.

Occasionally I'll hit the button and the starter will spin and I'll hear a thunk and if I hit the button again real fast it will turn over. The thunk is, I believe, the drive gear engaging right before the starter stops spinning.

I don't think its a bad ring gear because the starter always worked perfectly. I would think a ring gear going bad would happen over time. It was like a light switch when the starter started acting up.

Its a 24 volt system. Batteries are both charged.

Any ideas?

/ JD 3020 Diesel Starter spins but doesn't engage. #2  
I'd think first off, it would be lack of oil on the shaft that the starter gear slide forward on to engage.
That or a broken part inside.
Not too difficult to remove and check out the mechanical linkage hooked to the solenoid.

But lack of oil would be my first guess.

Here is what it likely looks like (unless an older s/n is different).

Attachments

• 3020_starter.jpg
    3020_starter.jpg
    181.1 KB · Views: 237
   / JD 3020 Diesel Starter spins but doesn't engage.
Mystery solved! Funny....neither I or the dealer noticed the broken bendix shaft. I must have tipped it just the right way for the piece in the bushing to pull away exposing the break.

IMG_0794.JPG

/ JD 3020 Diesel Starter spins but doesn't engage. #4  
Shaft in photo is armature shaft not starter gear(Bendix) shaft.

/ JD 3020 Diesel Starter spins but doesn't engage.
Jim,

Thanks. That was helpful as I would have gotten the wrong part. Found an armature for $85.

I'm in a jam for time as I need the tractor Saturday. Hence the hurry to figure out the problem. Needed a day or two of flexibility to get parts here.

/ JD 3020 Diesel Starter spins but doesn't engage. #6  
You're Welcome
Jim

/ JD 3020 Diesel Starter spins but doesn't engage. #7  
You're Welcome
Jim

/ JD 3020 Diesel Starter spins but doesn't engage. #9  
Default Re: Hello from Georgetown Texas
So the bendix shaft (armature shaft? TxJim)broke off the starter and is in the case of the JD 5103. So far I have tried the extendable magnet stick with no luck. I do not think I even touched it. Any ideas on how to get it out?
637BDFF6-1BEF-4F50-A85B-68DED89AB00B.jpeg