JD 3046r tractor won't start, nothing has power when turn key, occasional clicking of relay under dash

/ JD 3046r tractor won't start, nothing has power when turn key, occasional clicking of relay under dash #1  

mikestern

Tractor
John Deere 3046r
My John Deere 3046r won't start. When you turn the key to start it (just the first click clockwise, not to fully start), the dash numbers show a little bit (very dim) but no power to anything else. No dash lights, overheads, etc. Same when I turn counter-clockwise to accessory.

Occasionally, if I leave it turned to accessory, I'll get a click of a relay under the dash. That eventually steps after 10 seconds of clicking or so.

I've got 12.8v at the battery, 12.8 at the starter connection, 12.8 at the fuse box. Fuse box drops to 3.4 when I turn the key. I also have 12.8 at the relay that was making the sound. Tried swapping with another relay and it still does the same thing.

Can anyone provide help with what I could try next?

/ JD 3046r tractor won't start, nothing has power when turn key, occasional clicking of relay under dash #2  
If your voltage drops that low when you turn the key you've either got very dirty battery contacts, a battery beyond its useful life, a very poor ground connection, or some other highly resistive connection. If the battery voltage drops to 3.4 volts at the battery terminals it's most likely the battery. Have it load tested to confirm.

/ JD 3046r tractor won't start, nothing has power when turn key, occasional clicking of relay under dash #3  
If your voltage drops that low when you turn the key you've either got very dirty battery contacts, a battery beyond its useful life, a very poor ground connection, or some other highly resistive connection. If the battery voltage drops to 3.4 volts at the battery terminals it's most likely the battery. Have it load tested to confirm.
Agree, battery probably needs replaced.

/ JD 3046r tractor won't start, nothing has power when turn key, occasional clicking of relay under dash
Hi Roadworthy,
I cleaned the contacts and the ground connection at the battery and applied dielectric grease. I also thought it would be the battery and brought it into NAPA and they said the battery was good. They didn't do anything other than put a multimeter on it though.

I did just run out and check voltage at battery terminals. 12.8 before and after turning the key.

The battery is only 1 year old.

I also tried jumping it with my car and it still does nothing.

What should my next steps be? Thanks so much!

/ JD 3046r tractor won't start, nothing has power when turn key, occasional clicking of relay under dash #5  
Was it 12.8vdc *while turning the key? A lot of times a bad battery will read the correct voltage at rest but will not have amperage to do anything. If it's that bad, jumping doesn't always work.

Fuse box drops to 3.4 when I turn the key

This is an example of a bad battery to me.

/ JD 3046r tractor won't start, nothing has power when turn key, occasional clicking of relay under dash
Was it 12.8vdc *while turning the key?
The battery terminals remain 12.8 both on accessory and when I turn the key as if starting it. This is also the case at the starter connection.

The fuse box and relay are where it drops to 3.4 when I turn the key to accessory and when I turn it to start it. If I hold the key at the starting position and watch the multimeter (attached to fuse box), it climbs from 3.4 to 3.8, 4.0, 4.4, 5.0, etc. if I allow a minute to pass. I didn't hold it there to see how high it would go.

Thoughts? Thanks so much.

/ JD 3046r tractor won't start, nothing has power when turn key, occasional clicking of relay under dash #7  
If your battery reads 12.8 while the key is on and you still only get 3.8 at the fuse box it's time to start serious troubleshooting. If you've not done so, clean the ground connection and tighten securely. Follow the hot lead to the fuse box. You appear to have a resistive connection somewhere between the battery and the fuse box. You may have a bad main fuse or fusible link between there.

/ JD 3046r tractor won't start, nothing has power when turn key, occasional clicking of relay under dash #8  
Hi Roadworthy,
I cleaned the contacts and the ground connection at the battery and applied dielectric grease.
What should my next steps be? Thanks so much!
Clean other ends of cables as well as surfaces they connect to.

/ JD 3046r tractor won't start, nothing has power when turn key, occasional clicking of relay under dash #9  
On a John Deere forum I frequent I see something called as battery sudden death syndrome. The battery just suddenly goes belly up. If the battery is totally messed up even jumping it won’t work. I’d pull the battery and try another one or load test the battery. A load tester is less than $50. That will at least eliminate the battery as the problem.

/ JD 3046r tractor won't start, nothing has power when turn key, occasional clicking of relay under dash #10  
Agree with Dodgeman above- try a different battery just to rule that out.

If you don’t have an extra battery, just take the one out of your vehicle temporarily.