JD 348 square baler

/ JD 348 square baler #1  

Bigfoot62

Veteran Member
Tractor
JD 5090M; JD 5085M; JD 5083E; NH TN70A; Ford 2600
I'm considering purchase of a JD 348 sqare baler. (new or barely used)
Anything I need to know? If I get a good price on a used one, what do I look for?
Thanks

/ JD 348 square baler #2  
They're a solid, high capacity baler. I've never known them to have a "quirk" or something weak in the design that you need to be on the lookout for. Things wear in components where you'd expect it to. Billhook, twine disks, knotter pinion gears, the plunger rails, the stationary knives.

If you find one with a low bale count (less than 20K) expect to pay around $10K. They hold their value.

Need plenty of tractor on the front end - 90hp - if you're gonna make it "hum".

AKfish

/ JD 348 square baler
. . . Need plenty of tractor on the front end - 90hp - if you're gonna make it "hum".

Thanks for the info, but I need to ask about that statement above. On the JD website, it shows minimum horsepower to be 35. That's a bunch less than you're suggesting. Don't get me wrong, I'm not going to put it behind my 35 hp tractor. I was planning on using the 70. Do you think that's adequate?
Thanks

/ JD 348 square baler #4  
Thanks for the info, but I need to ask about that statement above. On the JD website, it shows minimum horsepower to be 35. That's a bunch less than you're suggesting. Don't get me wrong, I'm not going to put it behind my 35 hp tractor. I was planning on using the 70. Do you think that's adequate?
Thanks

70 will be adequate. You may not make maximum use of the 348's potential, but 70 will be adequate.

/ JD 348 square baler #5  
90hp may be great, but beware. You'll need a few extra shear bolts in your cab if you're engaging and running all out with 90 pto hp to the 348 sq baler. 6430 is overkill for a 348. IMO.

/ JD 348 square baler #6  
I used to use a 4010 diesel( the big one) on a 348 baler. If you have much for hills you will need a fairly heavy tractor to pull the baler and rack (no kicker on ours). Just be safe. The hp is not the only thing to look at for a baler.

/ JD 348 square baler #7  
90hp may be great, but beware. You'll need a few extra shear bolts in your cab if you're engaging and running all out with 90 pto hp to the 348 sq baler. 6430 is overkill for a 348. IMO.

There's several ways to look at tractor Hp... Gross, pto, drawbar. Should have been more specific - I guess.

Gross Hp.

OK.

(Neighbor runs a 348 behind a JD4430. Good plunger knife and stationary knife... Black smoke and bales on the ground!)

AKfish