JD 3720 vs K L4240 Opinions?

/ JD 3720 vs K L4240 Opinions? #1  

elgin4420

First, I'd like to say that both my wife and I think this is a great forum and we respect the fact so many of you can take the time to provide opinions and feedback to even the novices (which a lot of us are!) We are about to take the plunge and buy our first tractor, so we are quickly trying to assimilate all of the terminology and this forum is a great place to learn and reinforce.

We have a small 25 acre ranch, of which approximately 18 acres can be used for grazing and growing some hay (not intending to use this tractor for bailing). The terrain in the front pastures is terraced and we have trees in all pastures, so we frequently find tree branches have fallen (1.5"-3") and not visible in the taller grass and foliage. About 8 acres is still very rough and we have to cross a wet weather creek to access it (15-30% grade). We want to do additional clearing (Yaupon Holly and smaller trees) across the creek, so we see a lot of FEL work ahead. We need to maintain a decent truck & trailer crossing and we do have 400 of driveway to maintain.

We are looking for feedback and opinions on the following:
John Deere 3720 Cab, HST, R-4 tires, 300x FEL with a Mohawk Med Duty 6' Shredder (the JD dealer is throwing in a box blade)
Kubota L4240HSTC, Ag Tires, LA854 FEL with a Rhino 272 6 Shredder

We have other questions, but this seems like a good start. Thanks in advance!!

/ JD 3720 vs K L4240 Opinions? #2  
It depends on your tasks. Assuming equal capabilities and similar setup, the following will help determine which one. If you need to work in tighter spaces, need less weight and more compact size, then I would choose the JD. Take the kubota if those aren't are not important issues. I haven't seen the kubota up close but it should be physically larger. The R1/ag tires will give much better traction but more cause more damage in softer or delicate turf.

/ JD 3720 vs K L4240 Opinions? #3  
radman, is 100% correct about the Kubota being a larger beefier tractor. A better comparision to the L4240 would be a J.Deere 4000 series. I by NO MEANS wish to start a Green / Orange war.The Grand L series have the New Hst Plus, basically a 6 speed Auto. I am being nosey... how much is the L4240 Cab and loader setting you back. The reason I ask is becuase I'm concidering one. Also the 4240 comes with the LA854 loader, I've heard nothing but good things about this.

/ JD 3720 vs K L4240 Opinions?
Thanks for the replies!
I think initially, we were just comparing the two tractors based on equivalent engine HP and PTO HP. We definitely wanted something over 30 PTO so that we could use a six foot medium to heavy duty shredder. I guess I didn't look at the physical dimensions enough to see the size difference, but it is interesting that the JD specs are equivalent for a 3 cyinder engine vs the 4 cylinder in the Kubota.

First quotes (no haggling) on both tractors are over 30K with the JD coming in slightly lower. We didn't actually want to get into the pricing thing as yet, we were more concerned with whether we are looking at the right size and power. We have read a lot of the posts here and one thing that rings consistent is "don't buy not enough tractor!"

We are very interested in hearing about AG vs R4 tires, wet clutch vs dry clutch, direct vs indirect fuel injection, Mohawk vs Rhino shredders (Mohawk seems to be popular here in central Texas, as the manufacturer is located here.)

We have much to learn!

Thanks!!

/ JD 3720 vs K L4240 Opinions? #5  
The JD 4120 is more similar in HP and weight to the K L4240 but the 4120 does not have an option for a cab.

Pat

/ JD 3720 vs K L4240 Opinions? #6  
elgin,
A 6 foot medium to heavy duty shredder is probably too much for either tractor you mentioned. Yes, there's enough power there to spin it up. Yes, the lift capability of the 3PH is greater than the weight of the shredder. But, as I found with a medium duty Woods BB720 on an L4300, that isn't the whole story.

With the FEL on, I can operate the 720 on the L4300 but it's far from confidence building; the tail seems to wag the dog and I worry about tearing up the Kubota's 3PH mounts. Not only that, but the 'compact' geometry of the Kubota's 3PH dictates that I partially disassemble the hitch just to get hooked up (or unhooked). Luckily I have an old Ford 4000 which is bigger, heavier, more powerful, and reliable. The 720 is now hooked onto the Ford for 6 months out of the year. Even the Ford gets light in the front in some situations and isn't totally ideal. The dealer, to his credit, warned me of all this. He recommended the Woods standard duty BB72.

Take a look at the operator manuals of whatever tractor you're considering. There should be a section titled "Implement Limitations" or something similar. See what maximum size and WEIGHT rotary cutter is recommended for each tractor you're considering. If I'm not mistaken, the L4240 will have a max. wt. limitation of around 900lbs., about the same as the L4300. The medium duty 6' Woods runs 1200lbs. The difference isn't trivial.

The answer may be to go with a pull type cutter that's raised and lowered by its own hydraulic cylinder, not the 3PH. They do take a little more skill to operate, however.

Don't want to dissuade you from going with a heavier duty cutter. It's nice to know they can take it when you head into a stand of 2" Sumac or Choke Cherry. Still, know what you're getting into.
Bob

/ JD 3720 vs K L4240 Opinions? #7  
ELGIN,
I live about 30 minutes east of you with similar scenario. Tonight I'll reply with plenty of info when I have time.

/ JD 3720 vs K L4240 Opinions? #8  
Bob_Young said:
Take a look at the operator manuals of whatever tractor you're considering. There should be a section titled "Implement Limitations" or something similar. See what maximum size and WEIGHT rotary cutter is recommended for each tractor you're considering. If I'm not mistaken, the L4240 will have a max. wt. limitation of around 900lbs., about the same as the L4300. The medium duty 6' Woods runs 1200lbs. The difference isn't trivial.

Just FYI - when I read the implement limitations in a Kubota M5040 manual (a larger, utility tractor) I thought it was very conservative, for instance recommending a box blade no larger than 72" wide, which many people would pull with only a bit more than half that much tractor. So don't be at all surprised if Kubota excludes a 6' medium duty cutter.

I would, in general, agree that those tractors are light for a 6' medium duty cutter (and definitely for a heavy duty 6').

I would take a look at Kioti's DK45 which is available in a cab model - it's comparable to a L4240 or maybe a JD 4320. New Holland also offers a cab in the TC45DA, but read the NH forums on here before you buy one.

/ JD 3720 vs K L4240 Opinions? #9  
I spoke with the salesperson today who recommended the 6 ft. Rhino 272 behind the 4240. He said that you have to factor in the weight of the cab, that the tires will be filled with Multi-Seal and the front end loader. He also recommended this mower when we were talking about the L3940 w/cab and felt that it would have no problem pulling it. Will this added weight make a difference?

He also still recommends going with the Industrial tires. His reasoning is that they will lower the center of gravity since they are smaller diameter than the Ag tires, and the tread is wider.

Thank you for any advice on this,

Pat

/ JD 3720 vs K L4240 Opinions? #10  
Not to state the obvious, but the mower mounts at the rear. Weight in the rear tires won't make a difference as the rear axle will be the pivot point. The weight of the cab may make a small difference to the extent it's ahead of the rear axle, but of course it will be pretty close to centered over the axle. The FEL does make a difference but is nothing unique.

I would say - why don't you ask him to put together that package and let you try it out on your property before you commit $30k+ to buying it?

As for industrials, I mostly agree with them being wider and smaller as lowering the CG, but I wouldn't base my tire decision on that - I'd base it on whether you need the traction of ag tires or not. It isn't clear to me if your property is seriously hilly, but if it is you will probably want ag tires for their sideslope traction. Per other users here, industrials don't provide any sideways traction (I personally have R1s but mostly flat ground).