JD 4300 Will Not Turnover

/ JD 4300 Will Not Turnover #1  

gonediesel

Tractor
JD 4300
Hello, I have a JD 4300 that will not start. It will not turn over at all but battery is fully charged. I have read many threads with the same topic and many have replaced the "thermistor" behind the fuse box. I can't find a thread where they say thermistor replacement worked if the tractor turned over but didn't fire or if it didn't turn over at all. My issue the tractor will not turn over. This happened one other time over a year ago and after sitting a few hours it fired up. I have checked all contacts from the battery to to starter they are clean. Any suggestions are appreciated. GD

/ JD 4300 Will Not Turnover #2  
That really sounds like a safety switch problem.
First, make sure the PTO(s) are not engaged
If that doesn't help, try unplugging and plugging the seat switch. Might be some corrosion in there and it doesn't take much.
If you have a hydro tranny jiggle the forward and reverse pedals a bit before and during cranking
If a gear or reverser transmission, make sure all levers are in neutral...don't forget the reverser lever (which is the one I normally forget about).

Hopefully, one of the suggestions above will solve the starting problem.

/ JD 4300 Will Not Turnover #3  
How old is the battery?

/ JD 4300 Will Not Turnover #4  
From 4300 manual:
Starter will not work:

Loose or corroded battery connections.
Blown fuse.
Low battery output - check electrolyte level.
Neutral start switch faulty or not adjusted properly.
Key switch or starter faulty.
Gear shift lever in gear.
PTO engaged.

/ JD 4300 Will Not Turnover #5  
Are there any clicks when you turn the key?
Do the headlights work?
Have the fuses and relays been checked?
All the wireing harness been manually jiggled about?

With the key in the start position move all the control levers to see if anything happens.

All information others have already given.

/ JD 4300 Will Not Turnover
Hey Guys, thanks for the replies.

New AGM battery - Installed last summer. Tractor is used year round and battery tested good. Not able to test under load of course.
All wiring have been checked from battery to starter. But have not checked any of the safety switches. Need to research this as I don't have a manual yet.
Fuses and relays - Fuses are good. Relays not sure how to check these. Are they all the same. I could stop into an automotive store and buy a couple to try.
Headlights - work
Dash lights - work
Dash gauges - work
Clicks - no clicks when key is turned. Dash lights light up but when key is turned no noise.
HST - I did press the forward and reverse pedal.
PTO - is not in-gauged (un-related but stalled the tractor out once a while ago with PTO in-gauged when tried to re-start no go. After about 30min screwing around realized what was going on. Good tip!)

I will check out the other suggestions. I will post in a day or two.

1. If someone could point me in the right direction on the relays. Are these standard relays or something only found at JD?
2. If someone could give me a quick run down on locations for safety switches. I can research if someone can just tell me where they are on the 4300.
3. Am I correct in that this does not sound like a thermistor issue?
4. Am I correct in that this does not sound like a fuel solenoid issue?

Thanks, GD

/ JD 4300 Will Not Turnover #7  
I wish I could help on checking relays but can't. If some are the same you may be able to switch them around for checking but keep track of their original position.

For safety switches just follow the electrical lines.

It does not sound like thermistor or solenoid issues?? Don't take my word on this.

The starter could be jumped directly to see if it turns over. Same goes for the solenoid. With that be carefull as it only requires full current to open. The thermistor current holds it open and is much less. It should click. The solenoid does not work a fuel valve. It deactivates the injection pump Pistons.

Last but maybe not least, pull the key switch and use a meter to check it. For this a diagram would help. You may also try and spray in some WD-40 to clean contacts.

/ JD 4300 Will Not Turnover #8  
any results?

/ JD 4300 Will Not Turnover #9  
1. If someone could point me in the right direction on the relays. Are these standard relays or
something only found at JD?

Relays are std auto type. All of them, IIRC. I never buy JD relays. I use stock Bosch.

The relay panel (where the thermistor is) gets really dirty and the contacts can get
resistive. You can swap them out if you know what you are doing. A service manual
showing the function of each is advisable.

The safety switches go bad. You can disconnect and short the wires to test them:
seat, PTO, neutrals. If the key is on and everything else is good, you will hear the
click of each safety relay if it is working.

/ JD 4300 Will Not Turnover #10  
2. If someone could give me a quick run down on locations for safety switches. I can research if someone can just tell me where they are on the 4300.

The neutral safety switch is located under the floor board on the right side of the tractor near the forward/reverse pedals. It prevents the tractor from starting if either pedal is depressed. The switch may be bad or the linkage with the pedals may need to be adjusted. I had that problem several years ago. I didn't know how to adjust the linkage so used a small ban clamp which provided just enough thickness to depress the switch.