JD 450C Dozer?

/ JD 450C Dozer? #1  

fruitcakesa

Veteran Member
Tractor
M6040 JD 450C
A good friend is selling this dozer. He wants $20k. Hours unknown but condition is excellent for the year.
All of the problem areas associated with these machines have either never been a problem or have been remedied.
It has wet steering clutches, undercarriage is practically new, factory winch w/arch, canopy and limb risers.
I have owned a few JD's over the years: 420. 1010, 450B so I am pretty familiar with them.
I know smaller crawlers are hard to find and the price of everything is way up but just wanted some feedback from the forum crew.

/ JD 450C Dozer? #2  
Sounds like a nice machine.
20k sounds right if everything you said is accurate (being a jewel)

most around me are 12-17k for high hour machines that have some life left in them

maybe your’s is better w UC and winch

/ JD 450C Dozer? #3  
I paid about $27,000 six years ago for my JD450J. It only had 2200 hours on it. I have been offered over $35,000 for it. It is just a great size machine. Deere is great on having parts, but high.

/ JD 450C Dozer?
I paid about $27,000 six years ago for my JD450J. It only had 2200 hours on it. I have been offered over $35,000 for it. It is just a great size machine. Deere is great on having parts, but high.
That J is a whole 'nother thing compared to the C and $27k sounds like a bargain. Good for you(y)

/ JD 450C Dozer? #6  
I work for a JD construction deal and the salesman told me he was about to trade. So I got it about the trade in value. Great deal. The service manager had it hauled in to the shop and checked everything out for me at no charge. Any repairs I do myself and parts have a discount. I just need more off time to run it before I am wore out before it.

/ JD 450C Dozer?
Update: I went over to his place today and offered to buy it...he is ok with it but wants to run it past his father anyway just to get his feedback.
I hope to have pics soon.

/ JD 450C Dozer? #8  
Well, it sounds good..... Here is my take on dozers of that size.

In this part of the state I live in we had one of the most sales of JD dozers nationally at the local Deere dealer back mid 70's early 80's. The logging was booming and the woods was full of the little JD crawlers doing everything there was to do. They even were fighting fires and such.

But when it was time for undercarriage maintenance, alot of the owner/operators some of which had owned D-5, D-6 size machines that now own smaller more nimble JD machines found out there bill was just the same amount as rebuilding a larger more hp machine.

So, do your homework and look first. If a older dozer is gunna work for ya, consider parts availability.

If you are just using the dozer For one task then sell it or once, coup!e times a year for non-profit for yourself stuffs go ahead.

/ JD 450C Dozer? #9  
When I bought the 350c the owner was also selling a 450c and 550.

I went for the 350 to safely be able to tow with equipment I had...

People are always asking to buy it... paid 12k for it 7 years back.

All 3 sold over the weekend but less interest in the biggest one.

/ JD 450C Dozer? #10  
Well, it sounds good..... Here is my take on dozers of that size.

In this part of the state I live in we had one of the most sales of JD dozers nationally at the local Deere dealer back mid 70's early 80's. The logging was booming and the woods was full of the little JD crawlers doing everything there was to do. They even were fighting fires and such.

But when it was time for undercarriage maintenance, alot of the owner/operators some of which had owned D-5, D-6 size machines that now own smaller more nimble JD machines found out there bill was just the same amount as rebuilding a larger more hp machine.

So, do your homework and look first. If a older dozer is gunna work for ya, consider parts availability.

If you are just using the dozer For one task then sell it or once, coup!e times a year for non-profit for yourself stuffs go ahead.

In my experience the bigger the equipment the cheaper per ton you can move dirt. Also you can typically get a lot better deal once you surpass the ton truck hauling category.

Last edited: