JD 455 With JD40 FEL?

/ JD 455 With JD40 FEL? #1  

Rlbol

Any one have a JD455 with either a JD 40 FEL or a different FEL? I am curious how it functions? Good or Bad? how much weight can it move? Thanks

/ JD 455 With JD40 FEL? #2  
We had a JD140 with loader on the place for years. (Predecessor of the 455) load the tail down with weight & it did a huge amount of work over many years.

Then bought a 455 & debated adding the loader for small stuff, picking small rocks etc.

Look at Weekend Freedom Machines for user advise & modifications.

Ended up getting an older small skidsteer with a larger engine version of the 455. Far & away more productive, safer, seat belt, ROPS etc.

/ JD 455 With JD40 FEL? #3  
Rlbol said:
Any one have a JD455 with either a JD 40 FEL or a different FEL? I am curious how it functions? Good or Bad? how much weight can it move? Thanks

I have a 455 and 40 loader - it works very well. It's a big garden tractor though, not a utility tractor, so if you are buying it primarily for loader work I would get something bigger.

I don't remember the weight capacity exactly, but the loader is a little wimpy in stock form, due to the 1.5" boom cylinders. I upgraded mine to 2" and now I can lift plenty, although it moves more slowly, of course. The tractor only weighs about 1000 pounds, so even with plenty of ballast, it does not make sense to try and lift too much. I may actually go back to the 1.5" cylinders at some point to gain back the lift speed.

One limitation of the 455 / 40 is that the 3 point and loader bucket cylinders are on the same hydraulic circuit, so something like using the loader with a box blade is a bit of a PITA. On the plus side, the loader goes on and off easily, and can be used without removing the mower deck. Also, the compact size is really, really nice when doing something like spreading mulch - you can squeeze right in around trees and bushes. When I'm not using the loader, I park between the loader arms, so it doesn't really take up much shed space.

The bottom line is that I am very happy with the setup for home use - spreading mulch, moving rocks and dirt and the like. It turned my spring chore of 18 yards of mulch from a 10 hour backbreaker into 2 hours of fun seat time. If I was going to be moving lots of dirt routinely, I'd want something bigger.

Happy to answer any additional questions.

Tim

/ JD 455 With JD40 FEL? #4  
TimS said:
I have a 455 and 40 loader - it works very well. It's a big garden tractor though, not a utility tractor, so if you are buying it primarily for loader work I would get something bigger.

I don't remember the weight capacity exactly, but the loader is a little wimpy in stock form, due to the 1.5" boom cylinders. I upgraded mine to 2" and now I can lift plenty, although it moves more slowly, of course. The tractor only weighs about 1000 pounds, so even with plenty of ballast, it does not make sense to try and lift too much. I may actually go back to the 1.5" cylinders at some point to gain back the lift speed.

One limitation of the 455 / 40 is that the 3 point and loader bucket cylinders are on the same hydraulic circuit, so something like using the loader with a box blade is a bit of a PITA. On the plus side, the loader goes on and off easily, and can be used without removing the mower deck. Also, the compact size is really, really nice when doing something like spreading mulch - you can squeeze right in around trees and bushes. When I'm not using the loader, I park between the loader arms, so it doesn't really take up much shed space.

The bottom line is that I am very happy with the setup for home use - spreading mulch, moving rocks and dirt and the like. It turned my spring chore of 18 yards of mulch from a 10 hour backbreaker into 2 hours of fun seat time. If I was going to be moving lots of dirt routinely, I'd want something bigger.

Happy to answer any additional questions.

Tim
like a BX kubota or a JD 2210 or 2305 or a MF 2300.

/ JD 455 With JD40 FEL? #5  
LBrown59 said:
like a BX kubota or a JD 2210 or 2305 or a MF 2300.

Sometimes people want a really powerful lawn/garden tractor and not a micro sized true tractor.

/ JD 455 With JD40 FEL? #6  
Shaman said:
Sometimes people want a really powerful lawn/garden tractor and not a micro sized true tractor.

I hain't disputin what ya say; but ironically I had 2 different Kubota dealers tell me today that them thar really powerful lawn/garden tractors ain't worth the money compared to the cost of dem micro sized true tractors.
U could be rite and the dealers could be wrong I know that; but I'm just pointing out what I heard today.

Last edited:
   / JD 455 With JD40 FEL? #7  
I don't know.
Despite the 'dealer' trying to up sell me to a baseline Nissan V8 Titan for the occasional tow and trips to the dump, I think I made the right choice by going with the 6cyl Frontier CC Loaded for the same money. My Frontier is smaller, more maneuverable, came with more options, and does 95% of what I need to do. And for the other 5% of the time, I borrow someone elses rig or rent.

You buy those BX yet?
Post the pictures of your other tractors?
Love to see how you have them optioned out.

/ JD 455 With JD40 FEL?
Thanks for the information
I am looking at a 455 with the FEL already.
I will not use it much, but didn't know what it was capable of handling. Is the 40 FEL as easy to remove as the newer JD FEL's ? I will use the loader for moving some dirt and mulch at best. So the capabilities are not that important to me. What other implements do you have and use? Do you have or know of any manuals and information on line?The only thing missing from the one I am looking at is the rear PTO. I have been told they are no long available from JD, any suggestions on where to find one other then Ebay?

I have not purchased anything yet. I looked at the Bx's and they are nice but I just don't think i will ever use them. I also looked at the 2305 but I just don't think i will use them that much. Ideally I am the perfect customer for a ZTR. I just dont like them. I am not concerned about finishing very fast. I enjoy getting outside and cutting grass. I also have access to a large kubota with FEL so if I need to do some work that my piece of equipment cant handle I can get that.

/ JD 455 With JD40 FEL? #10  
Rlbol said:
Thanks for the information
I am looking at a 455 with the FEL already.
I will not use it much, but didn't know what it was capable of handling. Is the 40 FEL as easy to remove as the newer JD FEL's ? I will use the loader for moving some dirt and mulch at best. So the capabilities are not that important to me. What other implements do you have and use? Do you have or know of any manuals and information on line?The only thing missing from the one I am looking at is the rear PTO. I have been told they are no long available from JD, any suggestions on where to find one other then Ebay?

I have not used any of the newer JD FELs but I can't imagine anything being much easier. The hardest part is hooking up the 4 hydraulic connectors - once you get that done, it's all just moving the hydraulics to drop the loader onto the tractor-mounted frame. The loader supports itself when not on the tractor. You will need a fair amount of weight to use the loader effectively - I have wheel weights plus I can hold about 550 pounds on the 3-point if needed.

For implements, I have a 60" deck, powerflow unit and MC519 cart that I use for leaves, front mounted thatcher, two-stage snowblower, and of course the 40. As far as I can see, the rear PTO is only really useful if you want to use a mechanical tiller - they make a hydraulic tiller that runs off the mid-PTO too. The PTOs come up fairly often on eBay, but they're not cheap - usually go for about $500.

I am not aware of any manuals online, but you can get them on CD from eBay or from Deere. Best place I have found to ask questions and get info is weekendfreedommachines.com in the "late model" section.

Tim