JD 5105 Repair Thread

/ JD 5105 Repair Thread #41  
It’s looking good. What are the long term plans, keep it, sell it?

/ JD 5105 Repair Thread
I'm not sure at this point. I don't have a need for two tractors right now. However, we'd like to move to somewhere with a lot more land and my kids are getting old enough to run a tractor. This one is a lot simpler to run than my 5055.

/ JD 5105 Repair Thread #43  
Glad to see you were able to repair all the damage to your tractor. I would not want to go through that. I have a 2004 5105 and I regret not getting a front end loader when we bought it. The tachometer has gone wacko in mine, I have not been able to find any faulty wiring yet( tracing that wire harness is no fun for sure) and replaced the speed sensor yesterday with no good result. I bought a service manual download a while back for $39 from deeretractors.org, It is a download file that I moved to Dropbox so I wont lose it. Be sure to put a fire extinguisher on that tractor when you're finished. Looks like you have some good help there with your kids.

/ JD 5105 Repair Thread
Before the fire, the tach was reading incorrectly on mine. It was reading 2x the actual RPM. I had also replaced the speed sensor because it was a cheap part, but it didn't affect it. After the cluster became a molten pile of plastic, it really didn't work well at all. If you're getting intermittent readings, check for bad grounds, especially near the back of the engine on the right side (I now know this model really well for some reason, lol).

The replacement cluster was slightly different, it seems like it's for a newer tractor. However, everything works properly. The lights will provide some power to the cluster and make it boot, which is a little strange. It's an expensive part, so it's easier to just live with a bad tach unless you really want to fix it. The service manual is really good, I have it as well.

I'll definitely get an extinguisher to mount.

The 512 is a good loader for this tractor. The only downside is that it uses the JD-style, and my 5055 uses the global style attachment. The tractor is really light and bouncy in the front without it.