Rotary Cutter JD 5105 tractor with JD MX 6 rotary cutter quits cutting

/ JD 5105 tractor with JD MX 6 rotary cutter quits cutting #11  
I like the idea of trying another implement on the tractor other than the mower.
If you can borrow an implement, or maybe it'd be less trouble to buy a cheapo spreader used off craigs list to see if it spins, then resell it when (if) you've determined tractor is healthy. I just sold a 3pt spreader excess to my needs for $125.
If tractor is healthy, then go to the slip clutch.

/ JD 5105 tractor with JD MX 6 rotary cutter quits cutting #12  
I have seen a few drive shafts on slip clutch equipment that still have shear bolts. the ones i saw had the shear bolt under the plastic shroud up near the tractor end of the drive shaft. they actually had 2 shear bolts up there. i guess its a fail safe system in case the clutch were to fail. remove the drive shaft from the tractor and see if you can turn the u-joint by hand. if the mower starts to turn....its on the tractor side that has the problem.

also, like others stated..could be the clutch. there is no issue with removing the plastic shrouds to observe if the shaft is turning AS LONG AS YOU STAND CLEAR. How else are you going to know. it will be obvious if the shaft turns but the mower doesn't then......

/ JD 5105 tractor with JD MX 6 rotary cutter quits cutting #13  
Texasjohn was pretty thorough in his first post and said he checked the slipclutch and that it was not slipping, I hope they figure it out pretty quick as it's got my curiousity up:D

/ JD 5105 tractor with JD MX 6 rotary cutter quits cutting
OK... current untried ideas include

1. tractor has PTO clutch internal to tractor case that may be slipping (I didn't know this, thought it was a hard hookup)
  2. PTO engage linkage may be disengaging without positive operator action, check linkages
  3. try a different PTO device, shredder/post hole digger..I have these and can transport to their place.
  4. remove plastic shrouds to see actual PTO and its RPM's while cutting and when cutting stops.
Will work thru these options as time permits... likely not until this weekend.

/ JD 5105 tractor with JD MX 6 rotary cutter quits cutting #15  
Sounds like the PTO slip clutch needs adjusting.

Myself, I would remove any chains holding the plastic PTO covers from turning. Let them spin with the PTO shaft and observe if the PTO shaft stops spinning when the rotary cutter stops cutting.

I agree with beenthere, very easy to unhook the small dog chains that prevent the plastic shields from spinning to monitor the pto shaft's rotation. No need to remove the shields. If the pto shaft is turning it would have to be the slip clutch needs adjustment. If the pto shaft starts to slow down then look at the tractor pto clutch adjustment.

No need to bring in another implement from 15 miles away.

/ JD 5105 tractor with JD MX 6 rotary cutter quits cutting #16  
Gotta be one clutch or the other... Have to believe that the slip-clutch should be warm (very warm) to the touch - if you'd run it long enough.

AKfish

Clutch on top of blades was NOT even barely warm...no slipping at all of this clutch. Seems that several folks think there is a separate PTO clutch inside the tractor case...OK... I'll investigate that

/ JD 5105 tractor with JD MX 6 rotary cutter quits cutting #18  

Attachments

• 5105_PTO_clutch.JPG
    5105_PTO_clutch.JPG
    49.5 KB · Views: 350
  • 5105_adj_PTO_clutch.JPG
    5105_adj_PTO_clutch.JPG
    76.5 KB · Views: 280
   / JD 5105 tractor with JD MX 6 rotary cutter quits cutting #19  
I agree with beenthere, very easy to unhook the small dog chains that prevent the plastic shields from spinning to monitor the pto shaft's rotation. No need to remove the shields. If the pto shaft is turning it would have to be the slip clutch needs adjustment. If the pto shaft starts to slow down then look at the tractor pto clutch adjustment.

No need to bring in another implement from 15 miles away.

What if the mower is binding causing the tractor PTO shaft to bind, then causing the tractor PTO driveline clutch to slip? Lots of 3pt implement slip clutches are not maintained properly and they don't work. This would cause the tractors driveline clutch to slip.
Having a known healthy other 3pt implement hooked up to the tractor would eliminate one of the possibilities.

One thing worth considering is the OP stated the mower mows for X feet, then quits. Something could be heating up, then slipping or binding.

Beenthere, you ARE a SUPERSTAR:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup: Many thanks!!

I didn't know there was a clutch there....you've not only educated me, but given me the ability to address the problem/adjust the clutch with confidence without breaking into the case.... will do.... Isn't the internet wonderful!!

And, the proper manual is on the net... it doesn't get any better than that!!

Now, all I gotta do is make a visit to my friend and see if I can tune things up. The problem simply HAS to be related to the tractor's PTO clutch....