3-Point Hitch JD 5303 Adjust 3PT Lift Lever Position

/ JD 5303 Adjust 3PT Lift Lever Position #1  

deere5105

Veteran Member
Tractor
2008 John Deere 5303 MFWD
I want to adjust the range of movement of the rock shaft/three point lift lever. I believe the range is from 1 at the bottom to 6 at the top. It seems I am primarily using the 4 to 6 range and sometimes I need to adjust my top link when using rotary cutter to lift higher for transport and adjust again when mowing to get the range of movement I want at the hitch.

I came across this information that describes how to adjust the resistance on the movement of the lever:
IMG_8324.JPG
IMG_8325.JPG
IMG_8326.JPG

Thought this might be the place to adjust by loosening and moving the lever down some and tightening back. I did that and just doesn’t seem like it changed much if any. I moved it from 4 down to 3. My thoughts were to get it where the mower is on the ground at around 2 and that would meet my lowest setting needs and might give me more range to lift and not have to adjust top link each time.

Am I missing something or does that make sense and sound right?

/ JD 5303 Adjust 3PT Lift Lever Position #2  
Those bolts only adjust the friction on the lever. Tighter = more friction and more force needed to move the lever. Looser does the opposite.

I don't think you can change the actually range of motion of the lever as it is preset from factory to go to the lowest position and to the max position.

/ JD 5303 Adjust 3PT Lift Lever Position
If so, then the only adjustment would be the links that allow you to level the 3PT. I used those years ago as shown in the manual to meet the recommended measurement from the ground in its lowest position with nothing attached.

/ JD 5303 Adjust 3PT Lift Lever Position #4  
The position control lever on my 5075E, which is essentially the successor to your tractor, is in fact adjustable for range of rockshaft travel. I suspect yours might be as well as the picture you posted above looks like mine does. There are two bolts and nuts holding the lever to its flange- look above where (B) is marked on your picture. On my lever, the two bolts go through slots in the lever. Loosen the two nuts. Push the lever forward if you want to raise the 3 point higher with the lever all of the way up, and pull the lever back with the nuts loose if you want to lower the 3 point further with the lever fully forward. Tighten up the nuts and then see what range you got. On mine, it was a bit of trial and error to get it adjusted correctly. Do note that if you adjust the lever too far forward, you can have the 3 point hitch all of the way up before the lever is all of the way back and put the rockshaft valve into relief (it will squeal and after a while overheat the hydraulic oil). If this happens, back off a smidge.

The position control lever on my 5075E, which is essentially the successor to your tractor, is in fact adjustable for range of rockshaft travel. I suspect yours might be as well as the picture you posted above looks like mine does. There are two bolts and nuts holding the lever to its flange- look above where (B) is marked on your picture. On my lever, the two bolts go through slots in the lever. Loosen the two nuts. Push the lever forward if you want to raise the 3 point higher with the lever all of the way up, and pull the lever back with the nuts loose if you want to lower the 3 point further with the lever fully forward. Tighten up the nuts and then see what range you got. On mine, it was a bit of trial and error to get it adjusted correctly. Do note that if you adjust the lever too far forward, you can have the 3 point hitch all of the way up before the lever is all of the way back and put the rockshaft valve into relief (it will squeal and after a while overheat the hydraulic oil). If this happens, back off a smidge.
Will take another look at it. That makes sense. I did not disassemble anything. Was able to reach the bottom bolt from underneath. With mower resting on the ground I loosened the bottom bolt and the lever moved freely. I moved lever stop and let it move lower and tightened back. Sounds like I need to remove the cover over this area and get a better look at the area. Looked like the cover may not come off due to the black plastic piece on end of lever.

Good point on hitting the relief valve limit. Currently I have to bump the lever occasionally to quiet down the hydraulics. No squealing, but sounds like system is not “at rest”, if that makes any sense.

Will take another look at it. That makes sense. I did not disassemble anything. Was able to reach the bottom bolt from underneath. With mower resting on the ground I loosened the bottom bolt and the lever moved freely. I moved lever stop and let it move lower and tightened back. Sounds like I need to remove the cover over this area and get a better look at the area. Looked like the cover may not come off due to the black plastic piece on end of lever.

Good point on hitting the relief valve limit. Currently I have to bump the lever occasionally to quiet down the hydraulics. No squealing, but sounds like system is not “at rest”, if that makes any sense.
May be that the cover doesn’t have to come off. Looks like this procedure lets you set the top limit and go from there. Not sure I need to reset or check upper limit travel. Only wanting to lower lift lever couple spots to increase range of movement. I suspect this procedure helps insure everything is checked so nothing is overlooked.

Attachments

• DFA627DD-6682-4439-8E94-1AD31EC1666B.jpeg
    DFA627DD-6682-4439-8E94-1AD31EC1666B.jpeg
    300 KB · Views: 109
  • 7C3B7178-2489-44AC-A858-0E2F34D6F97C.jpeg
    7C3B7178-2489-44AC-A858-0E2F34D6F97C.jpeg
    400.3 KB · Views: 87

Here is picture from underneath. Looks to me like the two bolts only join the two pieces that make up the lever together. Don’t see how they can adjust. Looks like they come apart so cover can be removed. In looking at picture I do see another single bolt that may could be loosened and would allow the lever to move/adjust. I circled it in yellow. Is that what you loosened and adjusted?
IMG_8380.JPG
IMG_8383.JPG

Loosened the two bolts and the single bolt. None allow the lever to adjust or move other than all as one unit. Sure looks like there is no adjustment.

Last edited:
   / JD 5303 Adjust 3PT Lift Lever Position #9  
Loosed the two bolts and the single bolt. None allow the lever to adjust or move other than all as one unit. Sure looks like there is no adjustment.

The later units' levers have slots instead of round holes in the position control lever so the travel can be adjusted there, rather than the method the service manual you posted details. I don't have a 5xx3 series tractor, but since mine is the successor to it, I thought it was worth a shot to see if your adjustment was the same as on the newer models, but unfortunately it is not.

If the arm travel is correct, then you may want to shorten the 3 point lift links on both sides to increase lift height. This will lift the draft links higher at all lift arm positions. If you want to truly expand the range the draft links travel, you would need to replace the lift arms with hydraulic cylinders (e.g. two "tilt" cylinders from a top and tilt) in order to further raise or lower the draft links when the lift arms are fully raised or lowered.

The later units' levers have slots instead of round holes in the position control lever so the travel can be adjusted there, rather than the method the service manual you posted details. I don't have a 5xx3 series tractor, but since mine is the successor to it, I thought it was worth a shot to see if your adjustment was the same as on the newer models, but unfortunately it is not.

If the arm travel is correct, then you may want to shorten the 3 point lift links on both sides to increase lift height. This will lift the draft links higher at all lift arm positions. If you want to truly expand the range the draft links travel, you would need to replace the lift arms with hydraulic cylinders (e.g. two "tilt" cylinders from a top and tilt) in order to further raise or lower the draft links when the lift arms are fully raised or lowered.
Was worth a try. Appreciate the suggestion.

I believe I adjusted the lift links on each side to the fully lowered dimension given in the manual several years ago, but you are correct that shortening them would cause some change. Would need to make sure it still left some adjustment room to be able to level the lift arms. May study a little more or just leave well enough alone.