JD 5303 Tachometer Intermittent

/ JD 5303 Tachometer Intermittent #1  

deere5105

Veteran Member
Tractor
2008 John Deere 5303 MFWD
Over the past couple years I have noticed my tachometer would not register immediately sometimes. On occasion it would work immediately then at times it may take several minutes to begin working. Most recently it seems to not work at all. Before it seemed I could lower the throttle speed to idle and it would begin working. It also seems the hour meter does not advance when tachometer is at zero. All other gauge dials seems to be working. Curious if this is a common issue that others have experienced and resolved.

/ JD 5303 Tachometer Intermittent #2  
My first guess would be the cable. Have you ever lubed it?

/ JD 5303 Tachometer Intermittent #3  
I think that tach works off of the alternator. I would check the connections on the alternator and the back of the tach for corrosion. The sensor wire on the alternator is usually pretty small. It also could be the wire is suffering from mouse damage and just barely making connection.

/ JD 5303 Tachometer Intermittent #4  
Had a tachometer go wacky on me in my skid steer years ago; dealer said it was an indication of the alternator not working properly. New alternator, and the tach went back to normal.

/ JD 5303 Tachometer Intermittent #5  
Last edited:
   / JD 5303 Tachometer Intermittent
I am just starting my investigation. Up until now it has only been a temporary non-working issue. Hope to get to dig into it before too long and see if can get it back going. Feedback and opinions much appreciated.

Was able to locate the engine speed sensor today. Disconnected and reconnected. Did not help. Is there a specific test to be able to determine if the sensor is bad

IMG_0586.jpg

/ JD 5303 Tachometer Intermittent #8  
Pull the sensor out and inspect the magnetic tip. It may have a sliver of metal stuck on it.

Pull the sensor out and inspect the magnetic tip. It may have a sliver of metal stuck on it.

Gave that a try. No luck. Was a little oil on bottom. Just out of curiosity stuck sensor to metallic object and was still magnetized.

Could it be as simple as replacing the sensor?

/ JD 5303 Tachometer Intermittent #10  
I've tested hall effect sensors by taping a magnet to the edge of a large spade drill bit and spinning them next to the sensor while powered to see if you get any output. If nothing, try untaping the magnet, flipping it over (reversing polarity), retaping and try again