JD Heater Grid Kit

/ JD Heater Grid Kit #1  

lincmercguy

Silver Member
Tractor
JD 5105, JD 5055E
JD sells a heater grid kit for my 5105. While I have the loader off and everything torn apart, it would be a great time to install it cleanly.

From what I can tell, these fit a bunch of models. How well do these work for cold starts for others?

/ JD Heater Grid Kit #2  
JD sells a heater grid kit for my 5105. While I have the loader off and everything torn apart, it would be a great time to install it cleanly.

From what I can tell, these fit a bunch of models. How well do these work for cold starts for others?
The technology has been around for the past 30 years. Both Yanmar and Deere put plenty of engineering and testing behind it. It's an advancement over the prior Thermostart from the 70s and 80s era. Plus, the heater grid is all electric, saves on fuel use and no added emissions.

It should come with a timer relay and temp sensor control box for mounting as well. Mitsubishi often is credited for the controls as these were added to the Mahindra+Mitsubishi machines too.

Since the kit is plug-n-play, it too can work on older diesel trucks and engines for deep cold starting. Gets the air up to a good temp for engine starting and until the engine warms up. It's a good pre-heater unit.

/ JD Heater Grid Kit
I'm used to these in diesel pickups that I've had, but I'm wondering about the JD kit specifically.

The system on this one is not smart enough for a timer. Essentially, you turn the ignition switch to On, and push the key in. This trips a relay that activates the grid heater. You just push the key in for the duration you want the heater to run.

/ JD Heater Grid Kit #4  
I'm used to these in diesel pickups that I've had, but I'm wondering about the JD kit specifically.

The system on this one is not smart enough for a timer. Essentially, you turn the ignition switch to On, and push the key in. This trips a relay that activates the grid heater. You just push the key in for the duration you want the heater to run.
Bummer it's the dumb single relay control. I wonder if keeping the key pushed in allows you to use the tractor for long periods of time that way. I can my area temps as low as -22F. An air grid heater would be a great help for moving snow.

The 2 relay control with the air temp sensor will activate when the key is turned, run the timer to keep it running or if the temp sensor reaches a limit to turn off.

/ JD Heater Grid Kit
Bummer it's the dumb single relay control. I wonder if keeping the key pushed in allows you to use the tractor for long periods of time that way. I can my area temps as low as -22F. An air grid heater would be a great help for moving snow.

The 2 relay control with the air temp sensor will activate when the key is turned, run the timer to keep it running or if the temp sensor reaches a limit to turn off.
Honestly, a pre-heat will be enough for my needs and better than nothing. We usually don't get lots of snow when it's extremely cold here. Now that I have the 5055 with a cab and FWA, I'll use that for snow.

/ JD Heater Grid Kit #6  

The pre-heat in the intake manifold is what I think came with my JD 4300 Yanmar 3-cyl. If I want to pre-heat, I push in on the ignition key for a few seconds (10 if temps below freezing) and for 24 years has never failed to start right off. After engine running and let off the ignition key, it doesn't continue to heat.
Do you have the part # for this kit?

Last edited:
   / JD Heater Grid Kit
The pre-heat in the intake manifold is what I think came with my JD 4300 Yanmar 3-cyl. If I want to pre-heat, I push in on the ignition key for a few seconds (10 if temps below freezing) and for 24 years has never failed to start right off. After engine running and let off the ignition key, it doesn't continue to heat.
Do you have the part # for this kit?
Not with me, but I found it on the online parts catalog under fuel and air. It was an ad-on kit with the heater, seals, relay, and wiring. I conformed that the connector on the harness shows 12V with the key pushed in.

/ JD Heater Grid Kit
For my 5105, the part number is LVB25110 according to the parts catalog site.

Tractor & Equipment Auctions

2012 JLG G10-55A Forward Reach Forklift, (A35430)
2012 JLG G10-55A...
2008 40ft Shanghai Container, (A35430)
2008 40ft Shanghai...
Build Code PDF (A35465)
Build Code PDF...
2018 Broce BW260 Ride-On Towable 3 Wheel Sweeper (A35915)
2018 Broce BW260...
2012 Ledwell LW48HT2 Step Deck Trailer, (A35430)
2012 Ledwell...
2012 Hino 268 Van Truck, (A35430)
2012 Hino 268 Van...