JD with AWS need to remove transaxle

/ JD with AWS need to remove transaxle #11  
Are the "big" pins key #15 in the parts?

Attachments

• 304X_rear_axle.jpg
    304X_rear_axle.jpg
    231.3 KB · Views: 70
   / JD with AWS need to remove transaxle #12  
Yep. They're about an inch and an eighth. Whatever that may be in metric if I recall when I pulled the joint before.

/ JD with AWS need to remove transaxle
Yep. They're about an inch and an eighth. Whatever that may be in metric if I recall when I pulled the joint before.
If So they are then 28mm or 29mm. 1 1/8= 28.575 mm . Seems like odd sizes.

Unhook the steering, buzz the two big pins out , and it should all slide out w/ the U joint assy. Then to the carrier I'd think. Hopefully the splines were lubed. The roller bearing will likely drop out the bottom , so just keep track of it.
I hope they buzz out. That is my biggest concern. None of this has ever been apart. I do not know if they lube use anti seize on any of the spiines at the factory. Probably not?

/ JD with AWS need to remove transaxle #16  
I rarely have to service any of the AWS stuff. The hub I did had the coating of grease. One would think the manual would spec it.

Here is an update. I got the transaxle out of the machine and separated from the carrier. No need to remove the fenders. Everything was easy enough to get to from underneath. The king pin bolts came out with out much trouble using my impact. TomPlum was right..... I used a 1 1/8 6 pt. impact socket. It fit very tight which is good, so I would bet it is actually a 29mm hex. My problem now is trying to remove the U-joints from the splined shaft on the old transaxle. They are both rusted and frozen. I am soaking over night in penetrating oil. I have it vertical so that gravity will help draw the oil through the spline. It will be tough to get off. There is no good way to hit it with a good blow. the approach is from a steep angle. It's never easy! Is it? I do not want to use my air hammer but may have to. I do not want to damage the u-joints. Not sure if they can easily be separated and then reassembled with out compromising them? If so I could press it through in a 5 ton press. In any event I am going to use some heat tomorrow, if I need to. I need to be careful to not damage the bearing seals in the u-joints. They are rubber.

Thanks to all who chimed in with their ideas. The journey continues.

Last edited:
   / JD with AWS need to remove transaxle #18  
Yes. All you need to do is price those joints out and then you'll take out the kid gloves. Stupidly priced. SO the transaxle is sacrificial anyways, correct?

Yes. All you need to do is price those joints out and then you'll take out the kid gloves. Stupidly priced. SO the transaxle is sacrificial anyways, correct?
I did not price them but like most JD parts they are likely very expensive. Did you? I can destroy the transaxle if need be. I was hoping to salvage it to some day rebuild or have for parts.

/ JD with AWS need to remove transaxle #20  
The cheapest one is + 300$. And it gets worse. I was never one of those that felt just because it said Deere on the label that it was high priced. Some parts have really gone through the roof though.