Mowing JD X300 transmission problems

/ JD X300 transmission problems #21  
Tuff Torq makes the transmission. They are the ones who say no service is required for the life of it. Shouldn't you be mad at them? There's lots of information here and elsewhere on the internet from people having problems. The solution is pretty basic. After the first 50 hours of service and every 200 hours after that you need to remove it from the mower so you can drain the old oil and fill it with synthetic. Sure it's a lot of work but it's better and cheaper than driving it until it dies and then rebuilding it. I'm not trying to be sarcastic, just practical.

/ JD X300 transmission problems
BMG - when you pull your old K46 out take a picture of it and drain the oil in it and describe it like black white etc. We can be objective on possibly why it went bad.

I will try to remember to take some pics of the fluid out of the tranny, I have almost no free time right now. Not to get off topic but I am an RN at a VA hospital and we are now receiving veterans from Houston and am working 7 days a week 12-16 hours a day. But I would not have it any other way, to have the honor of taking care of those who are willing to sacrifice all for me and you.

I am glad I found this site for advice and information on my mower.

/ JD X300 transmission problems #23  
It sounds like you clearly know your trans-axle is broken and I'm not here to change your mind, only offer my experience with the X300.
I have (2) experiences working on (2) different X300 lawn tractors that were diagnosed with a broken trans-axle. Both times I found that the splines on the ID of the trans-axle belt sheave wore out and the belt sheave was free-wheeling on the (vertical) trans-axle shaft. This makes it appear that the trans-axle is broken because the tractor will not move in either direction. The only way to tell if this is what happened, is to disassemble and remove the tractor seat and foot pan to gain access to this. The sheave is on the top of the trans-axle (under the white plastic fan).
Then you can see if the belt sheave is free-wheeling on the shaft (sheave moves and shaft does not move).
If this is the case, then a new sheave is about $50. If you find this is your issue, I have pics and step by step instructions that I made while I did this. I can send them to you if you like.
Again, if you already checked for this, my apologies and ignore my post.

/ JD X300 transmission problems #24  
The only way to tell if this is what happened, is to disassemble and remove the tractor seat and foot pan to gain access to this. The sheave is on the top of the trans-axle (under the white plastic fan).
Then you can see if the belt sheave is free-wheeling on the shaft (sheave moves and shaft does not move).
If this is the case, then a new sheave is about $50. If you find this is your issue, I have pics and step by step instructions that I made while I did this. I can send them to you if you like.

Might be easier to just pull the K46 out - remove wheels, 5 bolts and 3 clips - see my link posted in #15 here to change the K46 oil. Would also be a great time to change the oil while you are at it.

/ JD X300 transmission problems
Might be easier to just pull the K46 out - remove wheels, 5 bolts and 3 clips - see my link posted in #15 here to change the K46 oil. Would also be a great time to change the oil while you are at it.

Just getting ready for my work shift but went out to my shop and checked the tranny sheave on top of the fan (I haven't removed the transmission yet, no time). OMG, the sheave is stripped out. OK, all y'all can now roll your eyes at me. I feel so stupid, why didn't I think to check this first before all this worry, before buying that used $100 K46. Now I have two K46's. All I did was remove tension spring on the drive belt then the small black slotted grill at the back of the mower and reach in with a pair of snap-ring pliers and removed the sheave. It was stripped out, the trans-axle splined shaft was undamaged.

Now everyone knows I rode the short bus in school, oh well. Next, will replace the stripped out sheave to see if that worked. If so, I will still drop the transmission and change the fluid. then I will change the fluid on the $100 slightly used transmission I just bought and put it up for a rainy day.

I am sorry I wasted everyone's time, but once again, I am grateful for the help.

/ JD X300 transmission problems #26  
I hope I get so lucky should I have have a "blown" trans or similar problem. Good for you!

And I'd be very grateful having a spare K46-- you might even be able to sell that for a profit?

/ JD X300 transmission problems #27  
It sounds like you clearly know your trans-axle is broken and I'm not here to change your mind, only offer my experience with the X300.
I have (2) experiences working on (2) different X300 lawn tractors that were diagnosed with a broken trans-axle. Both times I found that the splines on the ID of the trans-axle belt sheave wore out and the belt sheave was free-wheeling on the (vertical) trans-axle shaft. This makes it appear that the trans-axle is broken because the tractor will not move in either direction. The only way to tell if this is what happened, is to disassemble and remove the tractor seat and foot pan to gain access to this. The sheave is on the top of the trans-axle (under the white plastic fan).

Sounds like a ''Thank you'' is in order. Good post.:thumbsup:

/ JD X300 transmission problems #28  
I would keep the spare k46, just having it may cause you to never need it.

/ JD X300 transmission problems #29  
just for perspective, my k46 mower is 12 years old, has almost 400 hours, I mow about 1.5 acres and it takes me a bit over an hour just to mow.

So, it has done a lot of mowing....just for perspective.

Yes, I need to do a maintenance on it this winter.

/ JD X300 transmission problems #30  
Thanks to the OP on telling us what he found out was the problem. We all learn and move on to the next problem. :)