JD XU 550 problem

/ JD XU 550 problem #1  

Indygunworks

Silver Member
Tractor
1980 Ford 340
My father just purchased a newish xu550. I believe I had the RPMs to high when I put it into gear and I heard a loud pop.

Now no matter what gear selection you choose when throttle is applied it just revs up with a slightly perceptible 田licking noise that is RPM dependent.

What are some suggestions on things and places to look for to figure out what damage I have caused.

/ JD XU 550 problem #3  
Track down the drive shafts,

Find out which ones are not turning.. (may have to jack up one or more wheels to check it out)

Last edited:
   / JD XU 550 problem #4  
My father just purchased a newish xu550. I believe I had the RPMs to high when I put it into gear and I heard a loud pop.

Now no matter what gear selection you choose when throttle is applied it just revs up with a slightly perceptible ç”°licking noise that is RPM dependent.

What are some suggestions on things and places to look for to figure out what damage I have caused.

Well I can't find a Lawn and Garden tractor model XU550. The only thing I can find on the internet is a XUV550 Gator recreation vehicle.

So is that what you have?

Richard

/ JD XU 550 problem #5  
Richard
I take it that is what he has. But hasn't been back to check out any response, so it appears. Prolly posted here as it was a Deere.

/ JD XU 550 problem #6  
If it is a John Deere XUV 550 then it is from the shift cables being out of adjustment. It is a common problem. that JD did a TSB on. My 2012 XUV 550 did the same thing. Shift cable adjustment has one on the transmission and one on the shift lever. You can see it clear as day if you lift the dump bed. Make sure the shift rod going into the trans is actually spinning with the handle. It is just a compression type fitting that has no keyway inside it.
Also recommend if yours hasn't had it already to get the upgrade kit. It's JD's parts to address the driveline issues with new cables, longer shift lever and a new clutch. Part no. is ST857849

Screen Shot 2019-07-06 at 3.07.07 AM.png