What just happened? B21 hydrostatic problem

/ What just happened? B21 hydrostatic problem #1  

LazyBoy

Bronze Member
Tractor
Kubota B21
1st off the fluid level is fine, I was out grading my driveway with the B21 and after about 10 min. I was backing up using the bucket to level some gravel and I heard it make a weird popping noise and then the tractor quit moving, pressing the forward or backward foot pedal just made the hydrostatic make a lot of noise and try to move but it was like a brake was stopping the tractor from moving, after shutting it off and looking for leaks I restarted it and had the same issue, then after screwing with gear shifter range a few times and several motions of the fwd./rev. pedal it started moving correctly again. Then I parked it to let it cool. Just wondering what it may be??? 1950 hr. on the tractor now and had a fluid change about 100 hr. ago with Kubota Super UDT

/ What just happened? B21 hydrostatic problem #2  
If you dont get an answer here please post on Orangetractortalk Forum. Kubota specific.

/ What just happened? B21 hydrostatic problem #3  
I've never heard of it BUT, is there a relief valve of some sort on the HST drive ? May not a valve but some kind of protection mechanism you violated during your backblading ?

/ What just happened? B21 hydrostatic problem #4  
1st off the fluid level is fine, I was out grading my driveway with the B21 and after about 10 min. I was backing up using the bucket to level some gravel and I heard it make a weird popping noise and then the tractor quit moving, pressing the forward or backward foot pedal just made the hydrostatic make a lot of noise and try to move but it was like a brake was stopping the tractor from moving, after shutting it off and looking for leaks I restarted it and had the same issue, then after screwing with gear shifter range a few times and several motions of the fwd./rev. pedal it started moving correctly again. Then I parked it to let it cool. Just wondering what it may be??? 1950 hr. on the tractor now and had a fluid change about 100 hr. ago with Kubota Super UDT

Could it be linkage/cable for shifter needs adjusting?

/ What just happened? B21 hydrostatic problem #5  
Hopefully it just popped out of a range gear. The three range gears are simple gear sets. Takes some finesse and technique to shift ranges without forcing the linkage. Proper adjustment of the linkage important as you want the gears to be fully meshed. Shop manual your best friend.

Bought a B20, B26 and M59 all used and had to adjust linkages on all. They all took 3-30 seconds to switch ranges. Much Different from gear tractors.

/ What just happened? B21 hydrostatic problem #6  
If hydrostatic transmission making noises and acting like brake is locked would points towards the range shifter jumped and you was locked it two ranges at the same which would mechanically lock the drive train. Messing with the range shifter eventually worked it into one of the ranges.

• Good Post
Reactions: JWR
   / What just happened? B21 hydrostatic problem
If hydrostatic transmission making noises and acting like brake is locked would points towards the range shifter jumped and you was locked it two ranges at the same which would mechanically lock the drive train. Messing with the range shifter eventually worked it into one of the ranges.
Well now it's making a popping and gear crunching noise every few feet that bogs down the pump while its crunching!!! Doesn't matter what gear your in. Does it in Forward and Reverse.

/ What just happened? B21 hydrostatic problem #8  
yea thats going to be a dealer visit sadly

• Good Post
Reactions: JWR
   / What just happened? B21 hydrostatic problem #9  
At 3350hr and twenty years had the nut that held gear set to the transmission loosen on the B20 gave similar systems. Dealer repaired. Had the worse mechanic. Months of waiting, multiple trips back to dealer for other stuff they messed up splitting the tractor, shop foreman quit, mechanic fired from other drama I found out later. Dealer never charged me more than original estimate for follow up repairs. Still have $1000 in 3 gears that shouldn’t have been replaced in my shop drawer. Hope you have better luck.

Two years later a failed injector hydro locked and killed the engine while running. Tried various small ag tractors and mowers to help maintain our farm. Bought a B26 eventually. Tough versatile series of tractors.

/ What just happened? B21 hydrostatic problem #10  
Stop driving it is my only advise