JD2210 subcompact fuel pump failing?

/ JD2210 subcompact fuel pump failing? #1  

jd2210newbie

Tractor
jd2210
Lately my JD will run ok doing some shredding or belly hanger mowing. However, after about 15 minutes power starts falling off fortunately I can make it back to the shop when it stalls and will not restart. I've changed the fuel filter although it didn't look clogged. Then it restarts and works ok for a while. I'm beginning to think that its the fuel pump not keeping up when it gets hotter with use. It just cools down while I"m replacing the fuel filter. does this sound like fuel pump? Its not air filter. The motor (actually whole tractor) is a Yanmar. 18hp.

I haven't started looking for replacement fuel pumps or rebuild kit yet. Any suggestions?
tks

/ JD2210 subcompact fuel pump failing? #2  
Think I'd check for fuel flow tank to the filter first (line open or restricted).
Then check for fuel flow from the pump going to the injection pump.
See if either check indicates a problem.

Come back with the results, pls.

/ JD2210 subcompact fuel pump failing? #3  
It could be a restricted tank outlet going to the fuel pump. Maybe a plugged tank vent (try running with a loosened cap). Then, a weak lift pump or a weak fuel solenoid.

/ JD2210 subcompact fuel pump failing? #4  
X3 what others stated. Do you have good fuel flow from tank to IP? Is fuel tank venting?

I once owned a Kubota M4900 with a very similar appearing water separator filter housing that engine acted as you described. There was a clogged tiny screen located in fuel filter housing. Cleaned screen then engine ran well until I traded it for larger tractor.

/ JD2210 subcompact fuel pump failing? #5  
Does your tractor have 2 filters? A lot of the newer ones have a small filter under the floor boards.

/ JD2210 subcompact fuel pump failing? #6  
2210 only has 1 fuel filter in the separator assembly and no lift pump. I suspect, due to age of the tractor, that the fuel tank outlet is restricted. You could pull the tank or take the hose off the fuel pump inlet and check for flow and, if restricted, use air to blow it back.

/ JD2210 subcompact fuel pump failing?
I tried all the suggestions. Couldn't find any restrictions or vent problems . I think I will disconnect the hose from the filter assembly to the pump and try pumping fuel into the line with a pump bulb I have used for syphoning. the bulb is from an outboard fuel line kit. Of course there is no gasoline in the line anymore since I've used it for siphoning diesel a lot.

This is an old school motor. About 15 yrs old. No fancy injection, check engine lights etc. Does that fuel pump deliver a high pressure to the injectors? I assume its not like my duramax that pumps up to 20K psi for the injectors. I am thinking the injectors themselves are just small valves that simply dump a shot of diesel into the respective cylinders.

Is there a purge procedure to do in case air has somehow gotten into the lines? My duramax has a small thumb operated pump that is operated after replacing the filter so that air is purged out.

/ JD2210 subcompact fuel pump failing?
I read those other posts. The man that was successful by blowing air thru the lines. I am wondering if that means loosening the lines going to each of the injectors or just purging up to the top of the pump where fuel is on the way to the injectors. Or worst case loosening injectors where they go into each of the cylinders to bleed there at each cylinder.?

At this point it won't start at all. there are a few bumps that feel like it may start but not enough to keep it running so it has gotten worse.

/ JD2210 subcompact fuel pump failing? #10  
He back blew the rubber lines from the inlet side of the filter, back to the tank..
BE SURE TO remove/loosen the fuel tank cap so u don’t blow up the tank..
THAT will remove any obstructions from the tank outlet fitting/screen.. although it may find its way back.??
U can BLEED the system by loosening the inlet at the injection pump and waiting until u get fuel and no air..then retighten..
Next, loosen the steel lines
coming from the pump to the injectors..AT THE INJECTORS & cranking the engine over until fuel squirts out of the lines and tighten..
put the throttle in hi and crank it.. it should start now.