JD750 Fuel Issues? Water contamination?

/ JD750 Fuel Issues? Water contamination? #31  
If it is water contamination then I would try and find out how it is getting in otherwise you'll be doing all the work of cleaning the tank and lines all over again, not to mention possible damage to the injector pump.

Last edited:
   / JD750 Fuel Issues? Water contamination? #32  
If I were you, after cleaning everything. I'd install a Racor style fuel polishing filter between the fuel tank and the primary filter. You can but the housings complete with an aftermarket filter on Amazon for under 30 bucks and the buy a genuine Racor spin on water block element from the Racor store. The filter down to 30 microns (OEM primary filters are usually 80 micron pass and the Racor filter removes 99% of any water on the fuel. All deposited in a clear bowl below the filter that you can drain off.

/ JD750 Fuel Issues? Water contamination? #33  
Which a bad VR can cause. If the vr is not cycling properly, the battery can indeed fail to charge. Headlights can also be dim and instrument panels can be wonky. The voltage regulator controls the flow of electricity to every working part, including the engine. Bad voltage regulators have been known to cause engine stalling, acceleration issues, irregular engine timing, and misfires.

At this point, i would take off injector fittings and see what I am getting as pump out volume.
Recently had the exact problem with my JD 950. Pulled fuel line to injection pump and filled a quart jar with fuel. Let it sit for a few minutes and it had about 1/8th inch of water on the bottom of the jar. Drained all fuel from tank,lines and pump. Added new fuel and filter and it was good to go- until the next time it happens, and it will.

/ JD750 Fuel Issues? Water contamination? #34  
Get yourself a Mr. Funnel and use that. Costs about as much as the offshore made polishing unit but has no install issues.

/ JD750 Fuel Issues? Water contamination? #35  
Or depending on the cause, put a plastic tub or something over the fuel gauge in the fuel cap. Rainwater goes right through those gauges.

/ JD750 Fuel Issues? Water contamination? #36  
Or depending on the cause, put a plastic tub or something over the fuel gauge in the fuel cap. Rainwater goes right through those gauges.
Yes sir, a plastic tub will work great. I do use a plastic tarp to cover the hood and console and engine.A shed is ideal, but with seven tractors needing covered, the little JD 950 is low man on the pole, so he sits outside. I had never heard of a Mr. Funnel that 5030 suggested, and after research that seems like a perfect solution to fueling any vehicle. I am going to order one off Amazon and give it a shot I use 5 gallon plastic fuel containers to fuel all tractors and the funnel will work for all of them. I set the container on the hood and use a clean hose from container to tank and pressurize the container and fuel flows into the tank with no spills and mess. Just like pulling up to the pump, only a bit slower.Good suggestion 5030-thanks.

/ JD750 Fuel Issues? Water contamination? #37  
The 750 has polypropolene tank. I suspect the deteriorated fuel lines have passed enough crud into the tank to impeed fuel flow. Clean the tank, replace any remaining old lines, purge the bleeders again. The frothy discharge you may have noticed at the injector bleed may indicate air intering the system at the pump; but make sure you are getting plenty of clean fuel before going there.

The rectifiers are prone to fail and I am on my 4th one on my 1983 JD650. But since there is no low pressure fuel pump and the injection pump is mechanical, it will not shut that tractor down.