Jeep Liberty CRD

/ Jeep Liberty CRD #11  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( If they do bring the Gladiator to market with the diesel and anything close to the specs of the prototype (1500 lbs payload, for example), it will be my next pickup...)</font>

It'll be my next pickup, too (if my current one makes it long enough!). That is an awesome looking ride. The way it specs out, it should be a very capable p/u.

</font><font color="blue" class="small">( A diesel midsize would be AWESOME!)</font>

True, true. /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

BR

/ Jeep Liberty CRD #12  
rockyridgefarm,
I was at a service guild meeting the other night, one of the tech advisors said DCX plans on releasing 11 new models next year. Sounds like the Jeep Patriot is a green light too. The Dodge Nitro looks hot, not completely sold on the body style of the Dodge Caliber yet, but the engine alone should add value to this rig.

We had our Jeep Premiere night last night, and almost had to do it without any Jeep Commanders. The didn't show up until Tuesday! Nothing like cutting it down to the wire!

I've had family members and friends ask me what my opinion is of the Liberty. My response is that I tend to judge the quality of a vehicle by how many Technical Service Bulletins there are, and the Liberty has very few. My wife has a 2006 Liberty Limited with the 3.7L. My Grandma showed up at the dealership a few months ago to buy her first non-GM vehicle in her 80-some years (and her brother once owned a Chevy store) with the purchase of a 2005 Liberty 3.7L, and now my sister in law just picked up a new one too, which happens to be a twin to my Grandmas. Not one of these vehicles has had a single problem so far.

Well, I should take that back. My Grandma isn't used to her Liberty's console shift yet, so quite often she incorrectly pulls the windshield washer lever and activates the wipers as she attempts to shift the transmission into gear..... /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif She just laughs and says she's got the cleanest windshield in the county!!! /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

/ Jeep Liberty CRD #13  
</font>( Right now I'm driving a V-8 Dakota 4WD, since I like the midsize 4WD for maneuverability, but need the 5,000 - 6,000 towing capacity.

A diesel midsize would be AWESOME! )</font>

Kent, I was told they were working on putting the diesel into the Dakota at some point, but don't know if/when it might hit the showroom.

I was watching one of my training DVD's the other day, and they had a little segment with a truck on the road simulator/shaker. I noticed at first glance the truck was the size of a Dakota, but the body lines were not even close to the current model, nor any previous models. I had several of my co-workers come in to try to identify it, none could. Almost had a Chevy Colorado look to the lines, but it was not a Chevy. The fender flares and box sides looked really nice. The front bumper/grille area was very macho looking. But no views of the hood or cab. The only shots that we could see were from the half-way point on down to the ground.

(rockyridge, it was in the 3rd qtr master service/parts cd if you ever want to take a look...)

/ Jeep Liberty CRD #14  
That would be good news, if they did. I really like the size of the Dakota for my needs. I need 4x4 for the winter driving, and I don't need an 8' box... If it is priced similar to what it is in the Jeeps, it's a bargain also. It seems to cost around $1500 - $1700 more than the 3.7L V-6 in the Jeep (I seen stickers with different numbers -- don't know why), and comes with the 5-speed automatic. The 4.7L V-8 in the Dakota costs $785 and the 5-speed automatic a little over $1100. So, the price could be wash between the 4.7L V-8 and the 2.8L diesel... I'm certain which I'd choose.

I do hope they redesign the Dakota if they do put the CRD in it -- and it sound like that may be happening. I just don't like the looks of the 2005s and later -- I have a 2004 Quad Cab, the last of the old body style...

I like a truck to look more like a truck, not a Japanese or German's take on a soccer-mom's SUV.... I don't need the off-road capability of a Gladiator, so a Dakota with a small diesel would be a great match for me.

/ Jeep Liberty CRD #15  
Somewhat off-tangent, but this reminds me of when they crashed that Challenger in to the bull dozers in the original "Vanishing Point".

Instead of crashing a nice Challenger, they used a Camaro! If you slow the speed of the video/dvd at the exact point where the impact happens, you can see the give-away Camaro tail lights.

They got a white Camaro with no engine. They then set the toe-in so it would hold on the crown of the raod. The engine bay was filled with movie explosives. They had three Challengers; one had an automatic. They used that car to tow the Camaro(they used a couple hundred feet of aircraft cable). They didn't want to jerk the Camaro by shifting a manual tranny.