Jinma 254 electrical problem!!!

/ Jinma 254 electrical problem!!! #1  

Part timer

Tractor
2008 jinma tractor king 254
I guys I haven't posted in a while, I've been very busy getting a ton of seat time cleaning up property I recently purchased.

But now I am here to ask a question. My 08 Jinma 254 has an electrical issue. I blew the ammeter fuse the other day and replaced it, I had power with the key switch in the "ON" position but as soon as I try to crank it the fuse pops and I loose all power. I am able to start the tractor by "jumping" the solenoid but still have no power to any dash components, lights or anything. I haven't had time to look into the wiring yet as I have been very busy lately but I am planning on working on it after work today. Any advice on where to start???

Thanks
Chris

/ Jinma 254 electrical problem!!! #2  
I guys I haven't posted in a while, I've been very busy getting a ton of seat time cleaning up property I recently purchased.

But now I am here to ask a question. My 08 Jinma 254 has an electrical issue. I blew the ammeter fuse the other day and replaced it, I had power with the key switch in the "ON" position but as soon as I try to crank it the fuse pops and I loose all power. I am able to start the tractor by "jumping" the solenoid but still have no power to any dash components, lights or anything. I haven't had time to look into the wiring yet as I have been very busy lately but I am planning on working on it after work today. Any advice on where to start???

Thanks
Chris

Chris,
Check your safety switch for the clutch. They break an short out. Also double check your fuse box for loose connections. Had electrical problem that I finally found at the alternator (loose connection at alternator) Good Luck maybe one of the electrical gurus will check in . . .

/ Jinma 254 electrical problem!!! #3  
I had the same problem of fuse blowing when I turned the key to START. My dealer, Bolton Power, came over and this is what we did. When done, the problem was gone.

First he checked out the key switch for shorts and found no problem. With the battery disconnected, he removed and cleaned all the connections at the starter. He put it all back together and the problem was gone!

/ Jinma 254 electrical problem!!!
Red55 said:
Chris,
Check your safety switch for the clutch. They break an short out. Also double check your fuse box for loose connections. Had electrical problem that I finally found at the alternator (loose connection at alternator) Good Luck maybe one of the electrical gurus will check in . . .

Thanks Red. I have had an issue with my clutch safety switch before so it was already on my checklist, but I don't want to spend the rest of my Saturday hunting this problem down so any ideas will help!!! Thank you for your response.

Chris

/ Jinma 254 electrical problem!!! #5  
The other thing is the fact that your keyswitch likely passes the HEAT position on the way to START. If you've got a short in your glow plug circuit, that can blow the system fuse too. Easy enough to check, just lift the (green) feed wire where it connects to the glow plug buss bar. Then try to start engine again.

//greg//

Smalljobs said:
I had the same problem of fuse blowing when I turned the key to START. My dealer, Bolton Power, came over and this is what we did. When done, the problem was gone.

First he checked out the key switch for shorts and found no problem. With the battery disconnected, he removed and cleaned all the connections at the starter. He put it all back together and the problem was gone!

Alright that will be on my list also.. I'm sure it is something simple because I haven't had any issues with wiring before except for a loose connection here or there. I haven't had any fuse blowing or issues keeping the tractor from operating.

Thanks
Chris

/ Jinma 254 electrical problem!!! #7  
The other thing is the fact that your keyswitch likely passes the HEAT position on the way to START. If you've got a short in your glow plug circuit, that can blow the system fuse too. Easy enough to check, just lift the (green) feed wire where it connects to the glow plug buss bar. Then try to start engine again.

//greg//

Or turn the key to the left from the off position. This cranks the starter without powering the glowplugs. Probably most common would be the power wire feeding the glowplug buss comming loose and touching the block or head. Next might be a shorted glow plug. Key to the left will quickly take all the glowplug wiring out of the equation, and perhaps get you pointed in a direction. If it still blows the fuse with a key left turn, my next look would be the wiring down to the clutch switch and from there onto the starter. Could be chafed and shorted to ground someplace...

RonMar said:
Or turn the key to the left from the off position. This cranks the starter without powering the glowplugs. Probably most common would be the power wire feeding the glowplug buss comming loose and touching the block or head. Next might be a shorted glow plug. Key to the left will quickly take all the glowplug wiring out of the equation, and perhaps get you pointed in a direction. If it still blows the fuse with a key left turn, my next look would be the wiring down to the clutch switch and from there onto the starter. Could be chafed and shorted to ground someplace...

Well I took all of your advice and have found that it is something to do with the glow plugs I turned the key to the left and it fired right up, so I disconnected the power to the glow plugs and it will start up but if I reconnect the power it blows the fuse again so now I will see if I can hunt down a bad wire. I'm hoping it's just a bad ground or wire grounded out and not a bad glow plug.

Thanks
Chris

/ Jinma 254 electrical problem!!! #9  
Cool!
At least you can start and use it without blowing a fuse.

Quickest check to separate wire problem from glowplug in the glowplug circuit, is to lift the green wire that connects to the bussbar that ties all 3 plugs together, and see if it still blows a fuse. If it does, the problem is in the glowplug wiring or the keyswitch. If it dosn't, the issue is in the 3 plugs. If you have a volt/ohm meter, you can lift the bar that ties all 3 glowplug power input terminals together, and measure the resistance of each plug individually to ground. This should help identify a single bad plug...

Since you said it is blowing the main fuse and not the glowplug fuse(both 30A), I am thinking it is probably a problem with the wiring or keyswitch...

The attached schematic I drew from my 05 284's wiring may be of use...

Attachments

• 2005JinmaWiring.JPG
    2005JinmaWiring.JPG
    106.8 KB · Views: 5,241
RonMar said:
Cool!
At least you can start and use it without blowing a fuse.

Quickest check to separate wire problem from glowplug in the glowplug circuit, is to lift the green wire that connects to the bussbar that ties all 3 plugs together, and see if it still blows a fuse. If it does, the problem is in the glowplug wiring or the keyswitch. If it dosn't, the issue is in the 3 plugs. If you have a volt/ohm meter, you can lift the bar that ties all 3 glowplug power input terminals together, and measure the resistance of each plug individually to ground. This should help identify a single bad plug...

Since you said it is blowing the main fuse and not the glowplug fuse(both 30A), I am thinking it is probably a problem with the wiring or keyswitch...

The attached schematic I drew from my 05 284's wiring may be of use...

Thanks Ron!! I got er fixed last night, the power lead for the glow plugs was grounding out. I removed and replaced now everything seems to be fine.

To all who helped with this issue I would like to say thanks!! TractorByNet is second to none!

Thanks again guys
Chris