Jinma 354 -- Leaking front axle

/ Jinma 354 -- Leaking front axle #1  

quicksandfarmer

Veteran Member
Tractor
Jinma 354, purchased 2007
I have a 2007 Jinma 354 and the left front axle is leaking oil. This seems to be a common problem online with the 200 series Jinma but my tractor looks different and I haven't found anything about it. I've never been afraid just to tear into it, but I like to have the parts on hand or at least make sure they're available.

Looking at the parts diagram, I can't tell two things. First, which seal it is that is leaking, I could just replace all of the o-rings although one of them is listed as out of stock. Second, how to approach it, whether to go in through the bottom and take off the cover and go up, or to go through the top, taking off the steering knuckle and lifting off the kingpin.

Any insight is appreciated.

Thanks.

/ Jinma 354 -- Leaking front axle #2  
Both front axles of my 284 developed leaks. Seals were fairly easy to obtain, at least several years ago. On the 284 there is a felt washer that is supposed to keep dust and debris from getting to the actual seal. The felt disintegrated and then dirt got in the seal, wiped out the seal and left nasty grooves in the shafts. I had to special order spedi-sleeves but have not had to touch it since.

Looking at the online parts diagram for the 354 your tractor is indeed different than mine. However the basic design is the same and yours may be easier to service. Looks like seals and o-rings.

Is it leaking up near the steering knuckle and running down the outside of the hub? That is what happened to me.

No matter, you will have to remove the steering knuckle and take the top fitting off to access the upper bearing and seals. If you need to get into the bottom you will have to pull the kingpin shaft so that you can get the outer gear hub assembly off. No need to take that apart unless you want to.

Be careful of shims and gaskets as they are used to set the backlash of the gears. If you keep it all the same you shouldn't have to worry about that. Most bearing houses will have or at least can get the seals you need. O-rings might be a tad more difficult.

Check out Affordable Tractor or Circle G for inventory of the parts you might need.

Do you have a service manual? The one for my tractor was a little hard to understand until I got into it a ways to see what they were talking about. Translation problems I suspect. I've seen domestic manuals that were not any better...

/ Jinma 354 -- Leaking front axle
Thanks piper184. Mine appears to be leaking from below the steering knuckle.

/ Jinma 354 -- Leaking front axle #4  
I know this sounds really Hooky (that's long "O") but my 354 leaks both sides and one of the dealers from twenty years ago told me just grease the hell out of the the center front cover grease zerk and that slows down the leak and I've followed his advice and it slowed down the leak. These are not leak free pristine tractors.

/ Jinma 354 -- Leaking front axle
I know this sounds really Hooky (that's long "O") but my 354 leaks both sides and one of the dealers from twenty years ago told me just grease the hell out of the the center front cover grease zerk and that slows down the leak and I've followed his advice and it slowed down the leak. These are not leak free pristine tractors.
Funny, right before I saw your response I was thinking, "nobody seems to know, maybe I'll see if I can get through the summer just topping up the gear oil." I'll definitely try grease.

Agree that they're not leak free, but so far all of the leaks are manageable.