John Deere 2440 2WD Performance in Snow

/ John Deere 2440 2WD Performance in Snow #21  
All I had as a kid to plow snow with was a Ferguson TO-20 (similar to a Ford 2n,9n,8n) and a cheap TSC 5' blade. I would have killed to have the tractor you have as a kid. Anyway we got along fine in snow. Chains would be nice but not that important unless your working on hills or ice. Everyone these days thinks you need a four wheel drive tractor or cant go anywhere. These old 2wd tractors are way better than most people give them credit for.

/ John Deere 2440 2WD Performance in Snow #22  
I grew up too with the older 2wd tractors cause the 4wd where not around. I retired 12 years ago and was using my4x4 ATV with a blade and it did the job ok. Got kind of cold lol. So last year bought myself a Kioti with front blower/loader/scraper blade. That worked well but still cold lol So this year put a cab on it now that was great still cold lol. Next year may put in a heater. If you can afford a 4wd tractor go for it or get a used one there are a lot of them out there now. Not sure if you can buy 2wd tractors any more I mean in the Compact size as 4wd seems to be the norm these days. Just want to say and agree with you that in their hey days 2wd where dominant and better than a horse lol

/ John Deere 2440 2WD Performance in Snow
What type / brand chains should I purchase for my JD 2440? Best source?

/ John Deere 2440 2WD Performance in Snow #24  
I find that ladder chains work well for me. I've used them on ag as well as R-4 treads.
Along with weight on the rear tires, should be good to go. If going through deep snow and busting trail, then snow chains would be better.
Google the net for tire chains if not buying locally. Beware that a lot of chains come "one size fits all" unfortunately. So end up being sloppy on the wheels.

/ John Deere 2440 2WD Performance in Snow
In addition to the best performing chains for my JD 2440, I would like them to be easy to put on and take off.

/ John Deere 2440 2WD Performance in Snow #27  
I would like them to be easy to put on and take off.

Technique is up to you, as they hook on the inside first, and then hook on the outside next. Learn a bit as you go, as to what works and what frustrates the heck out of ya. :D
Just remember from one time to the next so "learnin" doesn't have to repeat itself.

I use a floor or bottle jack. Jack one tire, drape the chain over the tire, fasten the inside hook, then with tractor in neutral will rotate the tire getting the slack out on each revolution. After a couple revs, can fasten the outside hook. A couple more revs while tapping the cross links straight usually can take up a link or two on the outside hook. Then go to the other side and do the same. My chains are cut to the right length and do not have slop inside or outside. Two loose links on the outside and none on the inside when finished.

/ John Deere 2440 2WD Performance in Snow #28  
These old 2wd tractors are way better than most people give them credit for.

Right. And they make you think about what you are doing more than if you have a 4wd. There is a good use and time for both.

/ John Deere 2440 2WD Performance in Snow #29  
I have a 600' driveway with a gentle slope and I find my 1840 needs no chains as the 7' blower provides plenty of weight on the rear. Even when ice, the tires hook up well and I am not trying to maintain any significant speed.