John Deere 2440 2WD Performance in Snow

/ John Deere 2440 2WD Performance in Snow #11  
Rear tires on JD 2440 are loaded.

2440 is a great tractor! Lot's of power and pretty easy on fuel. As others have advised, you'll wish you had chains if you're gonna be working in any significant snow or ice. With 60hp @ pto, you will find that keeping the rear tires from losing traction will be nearly impossible.

Also, that tractor will "run away" with a 6' rear blade and will have little effort to drag a 7' blade through most situations - especially with loaded rears and chains! I wished that I had ponied up the extra money and bought an 8' for my JD 5075 (90 percent of the time, I use 2x2).

AKfish

/ John Deere 2440 2WD Performance in Snow #12  
Another vote for chains. I wont even take my 2030 out in the snow.

/ John Deere 2440 2WD Performance in Snow #13  
I would like to know.....

If you have a 4wd L275, and a 4wd JD4720 with a nice cab, why would you want to use the 2440?

/ John Deere 2440 2WD Performance in Snow
I would like to know.....

If you have a 4wd L275, and a 4wd JD4720 with a nice cab, why would you want to use the 2440?

I need to change my profile as I recently sold the JD 4720. When I bought it 11/2010 it was an expensive toy as I really didn't have enough uses at my Richmond home to justify it. I just wanted it. Now that we have the Northeast Kingdom farm, I wanted the funds from the 4720 sale to do some things there. The JD 2440 is likely all I'll need at the NEK farm as my plan is to lease much of the land and sugar bush to others and watch them farm.

/ John Deere 2440 2WD Performance in Snow #15  
I need to change my profile as I recently sold the JD 4720. When I bought it 11/2010 it was an expensive toy as I really didn't have enough uses at my Richmond home to justify it. I just wanted it. Now that we have the Northeast Kingdom farm, I wanted the funds from the 4720 sale to do some things there. The JD 2440 is likely all I'll need at the NEK farm as my plan is to lease much of the land and sugar bush to others and watch them farm.

I had wondered about that. Cause I dont know many in their right mind that would want to do snow removal in an open station heavy 2wd vs a nice new 4wd with cab.:confused2:

That said, if you are mostly level, and dont have any of dangerous hills, Get something heavy out back and give it a try for the first winter. Then if you are yearning for more traction, add chains.

If you have any dangerous areas at all, get the chains upfront.

/ John Deere 2440 2WD Performance in Snow #16  
I think you'll need chains and learn how to use those split brakes.

/ John Deere 2440 2WD Performance in Snow #17  
In the day, people moved snow with rigs like yours for years. You need chains and common sense. Be safe and you'll be fine.

/ John Deere 2440 2WD Performance in Snow #18  
In the day, people moved snow with rigs like yours for years. You need chains and common sense. Be safe and you'll be fine.

Actually, since I got chains, I don't use MFWD much...

/ John Deere 2440 2WD Performance in Snow #19  
another vote for chains, they will give you traction to push the snow in reverse, will make a huge difference.

/ John Deere 2440 2WD Performance in Snow #20  
Don't know for sure what I was thinkin'... Wasn't I guess - my rear blade on my 5075M is 8'. I've been wishing it was 9'. Have the hydraulic offset feature to kick the berm into the ditch (without losing a rear tire in there, too) but it would be better to have even more space between the rear wheels and the ditch!

Nonetheless, I don't think you'll be real happy with only a 6' rear blade on your 2440. With loaded rears AND chains in most every situation, the 2440 will pull an 8' blade with snow spilling out and over the blade!

AKfish